Dogs in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Large dogs meet the smaller ones.

Quote:
If I were you, I'd walk with my hubby and have him take at least one of the three dogs. Or better yet, especially since they are very large dogs, take them all to the the private dog park, Doggie Doo Run Run, on CR 101. It is very inexpensive and they can run off leash to their heart's content. (We pay $30 per month for two dogs and the staff there picks up the poop)!
Yesterday my chihuahua/terrier mix, Sport, met a large greyhound at Doggie Doo Run Run. Grover is his name.

You see many size dogs mixing in the Villages at Doggie Doo Run Run as well as near the postal stations and on the streets.

Seconding barefoot's recommendation of Doggie Doo Run Run. It also has a 3 dog maximum per person. I guess that they figure one person can only mind three dogs at the most. I have seen what look like couple's though come in with more than 3 dogs at the dog park.

Rarely if ever though have I seen a dog walker with more than two dogs around the Villages' squares, postal centers, or streets.

I have also found that the bigger GUYS when leashed seem to be a lot friendlier to my dog than many of the smaller ones. Those yorkies, bichons and other toy dogs can get rather nasty.

Along the same theme, Doggie Doo Run Run has a welcoming committee of small dogs which bark incessantly at the larger dogs coming into their respective section of the dog park. It is as if the little dogs think all the big dogs are Fumars'.

The smaller dogs are only brave when there is a fence between them and the larger pooches at Doggie Doo Run Run.

Small dogs are allowed into the bigger dog areas at the dog park though. They have a back field of about 5 acres in which my dog and I enjoy walking around.

You are entertained though by the animals at Doggie Doo Run Run. Dogs chasing squirrels. Digging for moles/voles/gophers. Chasing balls. Rolling around in play fights.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Little Help!! We are bringing our Labradoodle down this year and after reading this thread, we are a little apprehensive. Seems like a LOT of people are against pets walking through their neighborhoods. We have always picked up after our dog - except for the urine, and never heard a word from anyone in our subdivision here. We have never heard of dog urine ruining a complete lawn (hedges-yes) as has been mentioned here. We will take Mulligan to Doggie Doo Run Run but would also like to walk him on a leash at times. Am I reading complaints from just a few people or have dogs become undesireable in TV? Thanks for any response and Merry Christmas. Can't wait to get back down there.
Irish
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Eternal Member

[IMThe Villages FloridaG]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n431/happyhal69/007.jpg[/IMG]

Pictures of Ringo, my Border Collie/Collie Mix at Doggie Doo Run

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Eternal Member

The Villages Florida

Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzyb View Post
The Villages Florida
Oh, how I miss Doggie Doo Run Run. Thanks for posting the pictures. I can hardly wait to get back to TV and visit DDRR. My dogs love it there, and so do I. And lots of really nice people hang out there, including Tal and Schotzyb.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
Little Help!! We are bringing our Labradoodle down this year and after reading this thread, we are a little apprehensive. Seems like a LOT of people are against pets walking through their neighborhoods. We have always picked up after our dog - except for the urine, and never heard a word from anyone in our subdivision here. We have never heard of dog urine ruining a complete lawn (hedges-yes) as has been mentioned here. We will take Mulligan to Doggie Doo Run Run but would also like to walk him on a leash at times. Am I reading complaints from just a few people or have dogs become undesireable in TV? Thanks for any response and Merry Christmas. Can't wait to get back down there.
Irish
In my humble opinion, you are reading complaints from a very small segment of residents. Have no fear, Mulligan will be welcome. As dog owners we respect the property of others, and I'm sure that you will also.

Dogs are an integral part of Village life. It seems that at least 20% of residents have dogs, and many have more than one! When we take our dogs anywhere in TV, we are constantly stopped by people who want to pat them. Most of them have dogs themselves, or have stories about how they used to have dogs, and miss them so much.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Irish
I agree with Barefoot.We walk Ringo several times a day plus her daily trip to the park. We always let her do her business in our own yard before starting her walk and while walking we keep her down the center of the road and away from the curbs . It is difficult cause all dogs like to sniff and then mark their territory but it can be done.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default You Tube entry showing Doggie Doo Run Run.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fE_h84b3ws[/ame]

This looks like the 7- 8 a.m. people from around 2009.

You can see the smaller dogs barking at the larger dogs in their section from behind the protection of a fence. You also see Kirby though-- the star of the You Tube above-- chasing around a doberman. Kirby is no doberman sized pooch.

The bald spots in the lawn are mainly the action of moles/voles or whatever it is that digs various tunnels around this dog park.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Our lttle dachshund is a bit of a snoot

Loves little white dogs but very agressive to larger dogs...
We are very careful to only let our dog do his business in our yard or
common areas....We have had problems with our grass that has been marked
by many dogs and must replace eventually....Have put up signs that will hopefully take care of problem...
Old 12-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Irish
Bring your dog with you and enjoy all that you can with him/her while in The Villages. In fact, enjoy long walks because it's good for both you and your dog. Obviously, as with the vast majority of pet owners, do not let your dog do its business on another homeowner's property.

Don't, under any circumstances, feel bullied by those who have vented/ranted about those terrible dog owners and their dogs ruining property. I have no doubt that there are irresponsible dog owners, but I have not witnessed one.

There are those who will rant about dogs and my guess is that you'll find them in the express line at the market counting the items in the person's cart in front of them. Life is too short!

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 12-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Default safety first

IT would be alot safer if all dogs were muzzeled when in a dog park. Safer for any children that may be there also. Sometimes dogs will play alittle rough and accidents can be avoided! Large dogs not allowed in small dog area which is good, but I see doggie dodo park allowes small dogs into the large area, not a smart move,
Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Gold member

I know of a mature dog with a great disposition who needs to be placed. Send me a PM if you are interested. Beautiful, sweet, and needs a home!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old moe View Post
IT would be alot safer if all dogs were muzzeled when in a dog park. Safer for any children that may be there also. Sometimes dogs will play alittle rough and accidents can be avoided! Large dogs not allowed in small dog area which is good, but I see doggie dodo park allowes small dogs into the large area, not a smart move,
You want the dogs to be muzzled in a "dog" park so they don't hurt the children?

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this?

Old Moe.... would the same stand true for children in the park? Maybe we should muzzle them to protect... Oh wait.... I think we're onto something here.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I do not have a dog so I cannot enjoy the dog park. I am very surprised there are children there. This is a retirement community. I think the dogs would not be happy if they were muzzled. I haven't ever heard of any dogs hurting each other from posters on this forum.

I am totally confused about the post saying that the dogs should be muzzled. I know our kitties would hate it.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Eternal Member

I see very few children at DDRR, mostly during the holidays. I have been going to the park daily for over 3 years and have not
seen or heard of a dog harming a child. Owners know the risk when they take their smaller dogs in the parts designed for big dogs but again I have not witnessed any issues with the little ones with the big ones. There are signs as you enter the park that if your dog is aggressive you will be asked to leave.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.