Feeding of Wildlife

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2021, 06:52 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I found that feeding duck's bread isn't wonderful but it doesn't kill them. (From the BBC)

Feeding ducks bread: Should you do it? - BBC News

So if you want to take the occasional little visitors to the little pond near Glenview Country Club, it is a minor, not a major infraction to the Naturalists.
All things in moderation ;
Stop Feeding Ducks Bread – National Geographic Education Blog

From what I've seen here in TV, there is no such thing as moderation when it comes to feeding bread to waterfowl.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Don't feed bread to birds or any other wildlife. All that does is fill their bellies, and ultimately starve them of nutrition. They suffer when you do that.

If you want to feed them, feed them species-specific food. Most birds eat worms, bugs, small fish, nuts, seeds, and will eat dried or fresh cut vegetables. NOT corn. Hawks generally eat small rodents, kittens, small dogs, turtle eggs, fish, and some lizards. Lizards eat insects and bugs.

If you have bread that's going stale, drizzle it with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and cut it into croutons for your salad. Or add a splash of milk as the filler for meatballs or meatloaf.
That is the best answer. Plus…when we had food out for the birds we got rats. Eweh!!! Never again.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruggsNC1 View Post
If we have some bread that is getting stale, is their a place in The Villages to feed the ducks, squirrels, or wildlife? (rather than letting the food go to waste)
Just throw bread away.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I found that feeding duck's bread isn't wonderful but it doesn't kill them. (From the BBC)

Feeding ducks bread: Should you do it? - BBC News

So if you want to take the occasional little visitors to the little pond near Glenview Country Club, it is a minor, not a major infraction to the Naturalists.
IMO Just like smoking or drinking. Little ok, chain smoking and liquor all day long and night not good. You can say the same thing with food intake, eat too much get too fat, which brings in side effects. IF little bread IMO was bad for birds they wouldn’t be any at SS pond. Or any around glenview pond or lopez driving pond.

I have cardinals that expect couple grapes every morning. I can’t say no to them.
Closed Thread

Tags
wildlife, feeding, food, letting, squirrels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.