Flea and tick question

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
I would like to add that dogs , not sure about cats,can get lymes also.
That's true, dogs can get lyme disease. There is a vaccination for it, but my vet says it isn't practical/doesn't work real well. I forget her explanation. Will ask her again at Crosby's annual checkup in September.

There are cases of lyme disease reported in FL. About 30% of them originate in FL.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Next3rd, we moved from Colorado, too! (Evergreen and Boulder) All our dogs have been on flea and tick treatments. We did have a tick problem (and what a pain it is to fight ticks in the house!!!). Our dogs are mainly house dogs, but would not take the chance of having them unprotected. Heartworms are nasty and potentially fatal to dogs. Not worth the chance to me. Where in Colorado are you? Check out the Colorado Club when you arrive!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Veteran member

Up here in PA I use Ivermectin for heartworm and Frontline for flea/tick protection, but when we spent summer months in the French Quarter my dogs were plagued with fleas. The vet had us use Comfortis also which is a pill they take to control fleas internally. One of my borzoi was very allergic to just a bite from a flea and would be miserable from it. The addition of Comfortis helped a lot. I am glad there isn't that kind of flea problem in TV.
I know this thread isn't about this, but I can't get the words out of my mouth to tell my 'in person' friends and I can't keep the grief inside. We lost my almost 12 yr old Great Pyrenees Mellow today. My heart is breaking. I know you pet lovers here reading this know what it is to love and maybe lose a family member. Sorry I'm off topic.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I know this thread isn't about this, but I can't get the words out of my mouth to tell my 'in person' friends and I can't keep the grief inside. We lost my almost 12 yr old Great Pyrenees Mellow today. My heart is breaking. I know you pet lovers here reading this know what it is to love and maybe lose a family member. Sorry I'm off topic.
Sorry to hear of your loss, it's always so hard.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your loss. It is never an easy thing to go through, my thoughts are with you.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Sage

lovsthosebigdogs, I am sorry for your loss. Please know that Mellow is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum member

So sorry for your loss. It's so very hard to go through.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Up here in PA I use Ivermectin for heartworm and Frontline for flea/tick protection, but when we spent summer months in the French Quarter my dogs were plagued with fleas. The vet had us use Comfortis also which is a pill they take to control fleas internally. One of my borzoi was very allergic to just a bite from a flea and would be miserable from it. The addition of Comfortis helped a lot. I am glad there isn't that kind of flea problem in TV.
I am so very sorry to hear that Mellow has passed to the other side. I know exactly how you feel.

Hugs
Bare

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-26-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

lovesthosebigdogs, I know exactly how you are feeling right now. i am so sorry for your loss. Those big loveable lugs take a chunk of our soul with them when they must go.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
We lost my almost 12 yr old Great Pyrenees Mellow today. My heart is breaking. I know you pet lovers here reading this know what it is to love and maybe lose a family member. Sorry I'm off topic.
I'm so sorry, my heart hurts for you.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default lovethosebigdogs

Sorry for your loss. I can tell it will be awhile before your heart heals. I remember you posting how you thought you were doing the last grooming of your dog and it was so tender how you described it. Take care
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Words seem so inadequate right now but I do remember how loving you were to me when I suffered a similar loss and I want you to feel my hug and know that many of us feel your pain. I just love the name Mellow and I'm happy to know that he lived his life with such loving people. You'll be together again.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
So very sorry for your loss. They become loving family members. Just like children. You are in our thoughts and prayers. No amount of words can make that pain go away. Just feel blessed that you got to share the time you did together. I'm sure Mellow enriched your life, as well as you enriching Mellows.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Veteran member

Lovethosebigdogs, you have my heartfelt sympathies. It is never easy losing a family member no matter if they are two legged or four legged. Blessings to you.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Thanks, Everyone, for all the loving posts. It's been really quiet here except for the whinig/crying my greyhound is doing (even in his sleep). We are trying to get through one day at a time the best we can. Your compassion really helps and is much appreciated. Again, please accept my apologies for hijacking the thread (not sure if I got the lingo right).
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MellJohnRide.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	4428  

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.