Geckos and kittycats, do they mix?

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Geckos and kittycats, do they mix?

Our three (I meant two) live in pals, Mikey, Harry and Hershey have never met a gecko. They have never been outside to play, but I noticed that a gecko came to visit our screen porch when we were there for our visit. What if the gecko gets pounced on by our kitty friends? Also what if a red ant (or uncle) gets on the porch, will it sting our kitties?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Geckos and kittycats, do they mix?

Simple answer -- the gecko dies and you find it somewhere in your house looking like a mummified thing. I try to get the gecko back outside but am rarely successful. Unlike dogs, cats have the good sense to not eat them.

Haven't seen fire ants indoors (and hope I never do). They'll pretty much bite anything.

Gracie, my girls live on the lanai. I'm not allowed to close it -- even at night. They'll nag me nonstop to open it up for them. I finally decided that a burglar was less of a risk than getting clawed to death for the closed door, so they win and front door is open so they can go outside when they please. Even indoor kitties LOVE lanais.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Taltarzac

One of my neighbors has a cat which eats these anoles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychrotidae http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko

My dog just hunts them after discovering that they do not taste all that good.

Think this depends on the pet and what kind of interactions it has had with these lizards.

The neighbor's cat hat to be rushed to the vet because it got stuck in her throat. She thankfully got through this experience OK but still goes after the lizard that encroaches on her territory.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Veteran member

Red; did you know they make a cat door that can be installed on a slider. Here's a link to one site but there are several out there

http://www.petdoors.com/panel_pet_door_info.htm

We're putting one in for sure. My cats are driving me nuts wanting to go out in the lanai constantly. I've let them in the courtyard but I'm right there with them. They are chasing geckos all over the place!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Problem is my lanai is to the front door -- steel. Makes it rather difficult to put in a pet door and I'm certainly not cutting a hole in the wall. Actually, I don't mind the open door. It keeps my girls happy and that works for me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.