Has anyone heard of any dogs encountering venomous snakes?

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Email Reported As Spam

When we lived in Memphis it was common for people to find snakes in their homes

An opening is an open invitation so we make certain that our doors etc are always closed and our landscaping away from the house and open to reduce hiding by critters. Brown recluse were a big problem when we lived in Memphis.

Thankfully I am only afraid of four kind of snakes o spiders big, little, alive and dead
Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Sage

snakes and dogs.
mostly in fl when a dog is bitten it's a rattler. often the dog survives even if we don't find him for awhile.
I think we mostly scare ourselves thinking more than other things scare us, at least I know that describes me.
I really hate rattlesnakes. Mama taught me that and she did a good job of it. As a child, I nearly picked one up in the bushes trying to find a good stick.

A few years ago during the time I was in class for my carry permit, I was on a country road going to my boyfriend's house when I saw a huge (guys, he was 3.5 inches thick) rattler skittering across the road. I was thinking that Allan had had four dogs bitten by rattlers and lost one of them.
Two boys had stopped their pickup to watch the snake and not wanting to startle them, I said, "Do ya'll mind if I shoot that?" "Nope".

I can't tell the rest of this because I don't want to be unpopular with snake lovers. I'd way rather toss a coral snake out of the house with kitchen tongs than mess with a rattler. but that's another story. Just be sure you can tell a king snake from a coral snake.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

I just want to give a big thumbs up to everyone for using venomous instead of poisonous. One of my favorite trivia questions... What is the most poisonous snake in North America? Of course the answer is none. Poisonous means you can't eat the snake. I know, pedantic.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Gold member

I have seen people letting their dogs way out on the leash,sniffing in bushes and high grass. That's a great place for snakes to hide.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
that is something that our home inspection included...since it is a manufactured home on a crawl space, you can imagine how pleased i was to find that there were no critters in residence in that crawl space!...a good reassuring feeling. and before we moved in we had a housekeeping team come in and they worked their mops and dust rags off so that even the inside of the kitchen cabinets sparkled!...and then the pesticide guys came and put that paste stuff down in all of the damp kitchen/bath areas as a deterrent barrier and sprayed around the outside of the house. we have been pest free for the 5 yrs we have been there [except for my husband occassionally - but that's for another thread ]
Glad to hear all of the above. Thanks for the information.

Could you share the name of that housekeeping team please???

Ditto for the pesticide guys. Appreciate the info.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Gold member

Snakes in the laundry area and bathrooms usually come in the house through the open vents on your roof or wall. Installing a screen over these openings will usually prevent entry. Dryer vents should not be screened but should have a working flapper.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Sage

In the desert southwest:

1) You never kill a rattlesnake 'cause they kill the desert rats. And the roadrunners kill
the rattlesnakes.
2) We vaccinate our dogs against rattlesnake bite - doesn't work in all dogs, but it is
an additional layer of protection.

Kitty - I almost picked a rattler up in the desert thinking it was a piece of hose - DUH - what would a piece of house be doing in the desert. Ran the rest of the way home 'cause I was sure he was chasing me!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.