Help with dog door recommended needed

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2020, 07:01 PM
Default Help with dog door recommended needed

We purchased a home with a fenced backyard this spring but have not yet moved in due to the virus. We are moving with a german shepherd.
Looking for recommendations for best type of dog door to be installed on the screen lanai and mistakes to avoid.
Thanks and cant' wait to move
Old 04-17-2020, 07:51 PM
Platinum member

My reply, based on my experience with large dogs ls to only buy a door just big enough for the dog. Do not buy the largest thinking it will be easier for the dog. Your dog needs to walk through it, not gallop at ful speed. This also keeps some unwanted animals and humans out.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

IMHO, your first mistake will be to have an unattended door from the birdcage to the outside. (If I have misunderstood your intent, please disregard the rest of this post, if not please read carefully.) We have predators here. We have cats, and never let them outside unless there are in our arms. They can enjoy the lanai and birdcage behind pet screen and be safe. I believe the same would hold for dogs, please be very careful. Also, your pet door will allow various animals access to your house, snakes and various other animals that I am sure will be mentioned in additional comments may enter your house.

Tags
dog, door, recommendations, type, screen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.