How strict is the two-pet only policy?

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I strictly adhere to all rules and thus have the world's most boring ant farm.
I have never seen an ant farm with just TWO ants!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think you will spare yourself a lot of possible heartache if you just enjoy the two you have.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
All depends on crabby neighbors.

all depends on behavior of dogs and if the owners are responsible. ie: Noise, excrement, deportment (of dogs and owners).
Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I have one rescue and devote all my love and attention to the one. Over my lifetime we have had two at the same time and found that a single dog is happier than two. I think with cats, two is better than one, but dogs do better alone with the humans.

Rules:
1. Always get a rescue.
2. Always spay or neuter.
3. Always use Vet services.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

What? Only three rules...……………...
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 AM
Sage

There was an article in The Daily Sun a year or so ago about a couple with 3 Great Danes. While it is possible that they lived in a Villages that does not have a 2 pet maximum in the deed restrictions, assuming there are such Villages, I suspect that wasn’t the case. Regardless, I believe the pet maximum is an “inside the house” restriction and those are enforced by the Developer and not Community Standards. Someone please post otherwise if they know this is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysMom View Post
I just moved here and have two small dogs; I would love to rescue a dog but would be in violation. Is this rule strictly enforced? Is there a chance it might be changed? There are so many dogs out there needing a loving home.

Last edited by biker1; 02-21-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
There was an article in The Daily Sun a year or so ago about a couple with 3 Great Danes. While it is possible that they lived in a Villages that does not have a 2 pet maximum in the deed restrictions, assuming there are such Villages, I suspect that wasn’t the case. Regardless, I believe the pet maximum is an “inside the house” restriction and those are enforced by the Developer and not Community Standards. Someone please post otherwise if they know this is not true.

Someone
at Community standards can factually answer your question.
Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Sage

I don’t have a dog in this fight so I have no interests in calling Community Standards. If you are “someone”, please feel free to update us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post

Someone
at Community standards can factually answer your question.
Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Old 02-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Default People

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasetti82 View Post
How do you decide which rules are OK for you to break?
This question also is for all of those that give suggestions for ways to skirt the rules.
Have you not noticed that no matter what the issue is people honestly think rules that restrict them are simply wrong. Rules that control things they do not do are not strictly enforced enough.

You will see this same thought on soooo many things. Landscaping, golf cart speeds, young people, relentless parties,
garage sales, motorcycles, dogs, surely I missed a few.

I only wish we were all as perfect as we seem to think we are.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizolak1979 View Post
Like most posters here have said, it really depends on your neighbors. Community Standards will only come knocking if someone reports you. I know this from personal experience. I had some glass flower sculptures in my landscaping - a deed compliance violation based on one, poorly defined sentence in the deed. over 40% of my community has brass birds, whirligigs, concrete statues in their yards. I asked Community Standards why we were being singled out and she replied, "Because someone complained and we are complaint, not compliance driven." So, if you are on good terms with your neighbors and the dogs are well behaved, you should be okay.
I'm sure this will start a bunch of trouble but my view is that I do not like these anonymous reports. Our legal system says you have the right to face your accuser.

Our neighbor hired a landscaper. There are rules, how far from the property line it needs to be etc. I spoke to him before the job was completed. He spoke to the landscaper and the landscaper refused to correct it. Truth be told he swore, threatened me etc. I told the contractor I was calling the Community Standards. They handled it very well. First they discovered the landscaper had not filed a plan. Secondly he was as I thought in violation. They told my neighbor not to pay him until the corrections were made, he filed a proper plan etc.
My neighbor later told me that he found out the landscaper was arrested for ???????

Neighbor issues can really get out of hand. Not the villages-not even in Florida, I knew a guy who had a tree. The tree had been there for 15-20 years. Someone voiced a complaint. He was sued by the Community Standards. He dug in. Last I heard about it, it was years ago, he had spent about 20,000 in legal bills. On this case, as i told him he was paying attys both for and against his point of view.

Perhaps, the person who addressed my issue. Perhaps, because my neighbor knew it was wrong. BUT, in my case all went well.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:51 PM

3 dogs and you may as well call it a kennel. And how lucky your neighbors will be to have your 3 dogs pee on their grass every day. The vast majority of homes here really aren’t dog friendly, if they were, dog owners wouldn’t be having their beloved pets pee and poop on other Villagers property.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:24 PM

It’s a slippery slope when 2 dogs become 3 dogs and then 4 dogs and then.....
Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
3 dogs and you may as well call it a kennel.
I was told by our Sales Rep in 2007 that The Villages has deed restrictions
for no other reason than they prohibit owning dogs for breeding purposes.
In a retirement community, I think the two-dog deed restriction is very fair.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-28-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
3 dogs and you may as well call it a kennel. And how lucky your neighbors will be to have your 3 dogs pee on their grass every day. The vast majority of homes here really aren’t dog friendly, if they were, dog owners wouldn’t be having their beloved pets pee and poop on other Villagers property.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I'm sure this will start a bunch of trouble but my view is that I do not like these anonymous reports. Our legal system says you have the right to face your accuser.

Our neighbor hired a landscaper. There are rules, how far from the property line it needs to be etc. I spoke to him before the job was completed. He spoke to the landscaper and the landscaper refused to correct it. Truth be told he swore, threatened me etc. I told the contractor I was calling the Community Standards. They handled it very well. First they discovered the landscaper had not filed a plan. Secondly he was as I thought in violation. They told my neighbor not to pay him until the corrections were made, he filed a proper plan etc.
My neighbor later told me that he found out the landscaper was arrested for ???????

Neighbor issues can really get out of hand. Not the villages-not even in Florida, I knew a guy who had a tree. The tree had been there for 15-20 years. Someone voiced a complaint. He was sued by the Community Standards. He dug in. Last I heard about it, it was years ago, he had spent about 20,000 in legal bills. On this case, as i told him he was paying attys both for and against his point of view.

Perhaps, the person who addressed my issue. Perhaps, because my neighbor knew it was wrong. BUT, in my case all went well.
When you buy real property it is your responsibility to know the law and rules governing. Blame your realtor or lawyer or brother in law, but owners are ultimately and legally responsible. Two dogs is enough. Prohibited yard décor is prohibited, unapproved additions are subject to removal action. Why is this so had to understand. The rule of law is what really makes this country better than others

Tags
chance, enforced, rule, violation, strictly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.