How strict is the two-pet only policy?

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Default How strict is the two-pet only policy?

I just moved here and have two small dogs; I would love to rescue a dog but would be in violation. Is this rule strictly enforced? Is there a chance it might be changed? There are so many dogs out there needing a loving home.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

All depends on crabby neighbors.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think most people are very animal friendly here in The Villages. I think the rule is in place so people do not abuse it and have lots of critters that might be a nuisance.

I also think that some people fear all dogs and can and will "turn you in".

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-08-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Contrary to some I don't think it has a thing to do with crabby neighbors as much as dog poo/pee and barking. Personally I have no issue with their rules and regs and if someone does perhaps they should move on to some place more suited to their lifestyle.

If I know someone is breaking the rules and it impacts my quietude and life style you're darn tootin I'll turn them in.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
All depends on crabby neighbors.

Two Crabby Neighbors and one Dog is One over the Limit! Somebody has to Go!

Live & Let Live! To the OP I would say go for it. If you have a neighbor without a pup maybe you could work something out that the third one could technically be theirs. Gotta think outta the box. Fight for that Doggie.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Two Crabby Neighbors and one Dog is One over the Limit! Somebody has to Go!

Live & Let Live! To the OP I would say go for it. If you have a neighbor without a pup maybe you could work something out that the third one could technically be theirs. Gotta think outta the box. Fight for that Doggie.
If you fib and say it's yours..... I'll swear to it that it is!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Platinum member

Dogs are to not be over “x” pounds either. However, there are large and small dog parks... If the dogs are quite and you don’t let them pee or poo in the neighbors yard, you shouldn’t have any problems. I am willing to bet my wife’s SS check there are TV residents that have more than two dogs/pets.

Last edited by Mleeja; 01-07-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
. . . If I know someone is breaking the rules and it impacts my quietude and life style you're darn tootin I'll turn them in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Two Crabby Neighbors and one Dog is One over the Limit! Somebody has to Go! Fight for that Doggie.
Well Nucky you know I always agree with you and I am soooo "live and let live". I also try to be considerate and will blast NEITHER Emimim NOR Turandot NOR Guys and Dolls NOR The soundtrack from Rent NOR CNN News on my lanai.

But put a neighbor dog next to me that barks all day and all night long, day in and day out, I may just become a different person and look for any way that I could silence the animal including reporting the person if they had more than 2. (And I do love dogs and still grieve the loss of our 14-year old Luca.) A constantly barking dog puts my nerves on edge and that's not what I want for my retirement. (Still friends?) . LOL
Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

BS - Follow the rules. Were they hidden when you signed the purchase offer ?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Well Nucky you know I always agree with you and I am soooo "live and let live". I also try to be considerate and will blast NEITHER Emimim NOR Turandot NOR Guys and Dolls NOR The soundtrack from Rent NOR CNN News on my lanai.

But put a neighbor dog next to me that barks all day and all night long, day in and day out, I may just become a different person and look for any way that I could silence the animal including reporting the person if they had more than 2. (And I do love dogs and still grieve the loss of our 14-year old Luca.) A constantly barking dog puts my nerves on edge and that's not what I want for my retirement. (Still friends?) . LOL

I need to add -- this did not happen in The Villages but back in Brooklyn. And fortunately, the dog owners, who were low life tenants in an absentee landlord house near ours, were evicted after close to a nightmarish year whereby we could not enjoy our beautiful oasis of a yard. And yes we spoke to the owners, we called the landlord, called animal control and did everything short of taking a contract out on them! But they persisted in leaving the poor thing out in their yard 24-7. LOL - Did we celebrate when they finally were gone? You bet we did!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 PM

Just follow the rules or move its that simple.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 PM

I would like to simply say “rules are rules, obey them”. But I have seen people in a brand new neighborhood with more than 2 dogs. I was told they were allowed to buy a home with more than 2 dogs with the caveat that once they no longer exceed the limit with the dogs they moved in with, they could no longer have more than 2. So, at least one side is allowed to bend the rules when it benefits them. But I also recently heard a story of a woman that moved away because she was reported (notorious crabby neighbors) for having more than the limit and either the extra animal had to go or all of them had to. She chose the latter. I know for me, personally, I don’t want to have to make that choice, so while I give credit to anyone rescuing animals, especially dogs, I would still recommend abiding by the rules you agreed to when you moved in.

As for the original question, and has been eluded to, most of your deed restrictions are subject to enforcement only after complaint by neighbors. So if and how far you can bend them is highly dependent on them. And you never know who they will be tomorrow or a year from now.

Deed restrictions can vary from one district to another. I believe some are limited to only 1 pet. Find them, read them, and then it’s up to you to decide whether anything you do to break them is worth the risk/price.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post

Oh yeah, I was envisioning a proper dog owner who controls their animals in every way. No way does that yapper thing fly even if its only one pup.

I love the name of your dog. Luca, definitely in the running. If our dog is a little slow then Freddo.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Nothing happens to Freddo while my mother is alive!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
I would like to simply say “rules are rules, obey them”. But I have seen people in a brand new neighborhood with more than 2 dogs. I was told they were allowed to buy a home with more than 2 dogs with the caveat that once they no longer exceed the limit with the dogs they moved in with, they could no longer have more than 2. So, at least one side is allowed to bend the rules when it benefits them. But I also recently heard a story of a woman that moved away because she was reported (notorious crabby neighbors) for having more than the limit and either the extra animal had to go or all of them had to. She chose the latter. I know for me, personally, I don’t want to have to make that choice, so while I give credit to anyone rescuing animals, especially dogs, I would still recommend abiding by the rules you agreed to when you moved in.

As for the original question, and has been eluded to, most of your deed restrictions are subject to enforcement only after complaint by neighbors. So if and how far you can bend them is highly dependent on them. And you never know who they will be tomorrow or a year from now.

Deed restrictions can vary from one district to another. I believe some are limited to only 1 pet. Find them, read them, and then it’s up to you to decide whether anything you do to break them is worth the risk/price.
What a non-judgemental, informative answer. Very well put.

Tags
chance, enforced, rule, violation, strictly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.