Humane Society of Sumter County

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Sage
Default Humane Society of Sumter County

Humane Society of Sumter County

Let's start by stating they are not a part of the Humane Society of the US nor are they affiliated with the SPCA as noted on their web page.

Our commissioners continue to ask us to volunteer and give to the Humane Society of Sumter County. I, of course, wanted to know about their Policies and Procedures as well as where their money is going.

I requested their financials as well as their policies and procedures. They will not send me their P & P however they did send me a pee-stained copy of the 990.

Keep in mind, this is the same group that came out against us for working to go No Kill. because of our methods.

What you see is how I received it. I have done nothing to it.

Shelter Reform for Sumter County, Florida - Home | Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	990.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	73049  
Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The Humane Society of Sumter County is a PRIVATE non profit organization.

humane society of sumter county florida. - Bing

As opposed to a public non profit organization.

The Difference Between Public & Private Non-Profit Organizations | Chron.com

I know of one way to solve the problems of not killing animals. The group could buy a piece of rural property and keep the animals there until their natural death. It would take a lot of fund raising but it is a possibility.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Humane Society of Sumter County is a PRIVATE non profit organization.

humane society of sumter county florida. - Bing

As opposed to a public non profit organization.

The Difference Between Public & Private Non-Profit Organizations | Chron.com

I know of one way to solve the problems of not killing animals. The group could buy a piece of rural property and keep the animals there until their natural death. It would take a lot of fund raising but it is a possibility.
Thank you for your input. We could do that...

However, that won't save the animals that go into our tax funded shelter. Because of the "partnership", which also isn't a partnership, only the Humane Society gets to pick and choose what pets get to be let out of Animal Services and to who.

So, as you can see, that doesn't work as well as it would appear.

Also, we would like our Tax Paid shelter to do what it's supposed to do.

I would ask you to go to Sumter County Shelter, and then go to Lake County Shelter and see that shelter. Not only are the pets happier, so are the employees. There are volunteers all over, people checking out the pets and volunteers with the pets. It's fun to watch and a nice afternoon.

We happen to go there yesterday... Sunday, to take blankets They were bustling. I met several of the volunteers, the employees were helping people pick out pets and find their lost pets. We, the residents of Sumter County would like to have a shelter like that. We have the money and volunteers would save the county over $200,000 a year.

As I've told you before, the other counties have to take the burden of our pets as people are taking them to Lake and Marion to save them. This just isn't fair to those counties.

We are also asking for transparency from our county. We want to know where our tax dollars are going. We also want our shelter to follow the Florida Statutes.

Do you understand they are under investigation for not following Florida Statutes? Our tax dollars are having to pay for that as well.

In the meantime, I will do everything I can do to keep our pets out of our High Kill Shelter.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

I was planning on starting a monthly contribution to a local animal shelter of the ASPCA. Thinking that Sumter County Shelter was affiliated with them, I was going to send it to them, now I won't. Can you please give me the name of a good local animal shelter to give my monthly contribution to? I will not give it to a shelter who kills these animals rather than help them and try to find them homes.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I was planning on starting a monthly contribution to a local animal shelter of the ASPCA. Thinking that Sumter County Shelter was affiliated with them, I was going to send it to them, now I won't. Can you please give me the name of a good local animal shelter to give my monthly contribution to? I will not give it to a shelter who kills these animals rather than help them and try to find them homes.
Lake County is totally No Kill!!!

Because Sumter County is High Kill, Lake has to take many of our animals.

Marion County kills for room. They are working to become No Kill and I suspect they will be soon.

Two very good shelters Both shelters support our efforts to go No Kill.

Thank you for supporting a No Kill Shelter. We will get there. It's not a matter of if but when.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
Don't believe everything you read as this group is twisting the facts to suit their needs. Please continue to donate for the families of Sumter County. With out those donations these families would not be able to feed their pets! HS/SPCA is a NO KILL Shelter!

Last edited by plimit56; 12-11-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Sage

First let's all agree the world is not a perfect place, and probably will never be, but we do our best make forward progress.

Although I applaud you deep passion for saving the animals; your posts sound almost contradictory. You say you want to save the animals from being put down at Animal Services; but then in the next breath you state not to support the Humane Society who is saving lives of the animals? Any life saved is a win, no matter how it is obtained.

The Humane Society is saving the lives of animals who are dropped off there and those who Animal Services would be putting down. By not supporting the SPCA they can't save the lives of those animals.

So you in essence have put the death sentence upon those animals that would have been saved by the Humane Society. One life could have been saved by a person who would have donated to the Humane Society, which now might not because of your comments. My wife and I donate to the SPCA and will continue to do anything we can to help. In addition we thank them for their work...

We all want no kill shelters; but let's not make it worse by posting negative comments to those who are trying to save lives. IMO the focus should be on the Sumter County Animal Services policies and what can be done to save even more animals ...
Old 12-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
First let's all agree the world is not a perfect place, and probably will never be, but we do our best make forward progress.

Although I applaud you deep passion for saving the animals; your posts sound almost contradictory. You say you want to save the animals from being put down at Animal Services; but then in the next breath you state not to support the Humane Society who is saving lives of the animals? Any life saved is a win, no matter how it is obtained.

The Humane Society is saving the lives of animals who are dropped off there and those who Animal Services would be putting down. By not supporting the SPCA they can't save the lives of those animals.

So you in essence have put the death sentence upon those animals that would have been saved by the Humane Society. One life could have been saved by a person who would have donated to the Humane Society, which now might not because of your comments. My wife and I donate to the SPCA and will continue to do anything we can to help. In addition we thank them for their work...

We all want no kill shelters; but let's not make it worse by posting negative comments to those who are trying to save lives. IMO the focus should be on the Sumter County Animal Services policies and what can be done to save even more animals ...
Thank you!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Sage
Default Please read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post

Actually it's the opposite . It's the Humane Society that came out against our efforts to go No Kill. You have to ask why. So I will explain. I won't reinvent the wheel so I will post what I have said to the commissioners.

"
Below is my presentation tonight to the County Commissioners. I was trying to point out that when the Humane Society boasts they are a No Kill Shelter.. they are absolutely right. However, make no mistake that since they have Animal Services to do all the killing before the animals are transferred to their facility, they can say in 100% honesty they are No Kill.

Since the have aligned themselves with Animal Services and Animal Services has aligned themselves with the Humane Society, I am suggesting they get to share the numbers. If they are "partnered" they are both responsible for the over 40% kill rate of our pets! They just get to keep their hands clean.

The presentation was as follows:

"I’m here this evening requesting that you take another look at the “partnership” with the Humane Society and Animal Services.

I would first like to point out there is no signed document with the Humane Society…. meaning this is not an official “partnership.

While the Humane Society is a No Kill Shelter, our county Shelter is High Kill. So…. What happens is that the Humane Society doesn’t have to deal with old or ill animals since they are, what you refer to as “culled” and I simply call killed, at Animal Services before they get there.

What we know is that if someone adopts an animal from the Humane Society and it comes back, and we know they do, the animal goes to Animals Services to be killed.

Quoting from your own Processes and Procedures…

“If the animal is surrendered that was previously transferred to the HS/SPCA, the animal will be deemed unadoptable by AS/S and will be humanely euthanized.”

And we know this is true because we have your report on it. The report on the animals that come back to you from the Humane Society. I was told these are not the true numbers, but regardless, this still reflects what I’m saying to be true.

Most of us know that there is an adjustment period when a pet is adopted. That pet was in YOUR facility AND the Humane Society facility and there were no issues , or it would have been killed before it made it to the adoption floor… according to your Policies and Procedures. But because an owner had a problem, it was returned and was killed

I’m not going to read the report, I will post it on our site.
See figures below.

• Unadoptable/Behavioral Issues = 10 returned from HS/SPCA
• Confiscate Bite = 2 returned by the new owner (adopted)

• Cats = 29
• Unadoptable/Behavioral Issues = 11 returned from HS/SPCA
• Confiscate/Bite = 3 returned by the new owner (adopted)
• Ill/Severe = 15 w/various health issues (URI, Feline Leukemia, FIV) returned by HS/SPCA

• Total = 41 Animals

The Humane Society of the United States has an owner Surrender policy.
“Surrendering a pet. Animals are accepted only by appointment. ... Animal Humane Society helps thousands of dogs, cats, and critters in need find loving homes each year — and no animal is ever turned away. We take in every animal surrendered to us regardless of its health, age, breed, or behavior.”
The Humane Society of Sumter County has a different policy posted on their web page.
“If you choose to surrender your pet, contact Animal Services of Sumter County”
Quoting again from your Policies and Procedures.

Dated 01/22/15, regarding owner surrender, “If the animal is determined to be unadoptable by the ASM due to age, infirmity, or behavior, the animal will be humanely euthanized after the 24 hour holding period.”
So, our aged society of The Villages has no place to bring their pets when they can no longer care for them. They can’t bring them to the Humane Society because the Humane Society has this so-called partnership with our High Kill Shelter.

Animal Services hides behind the Humane Society because it’s a No Kill Shelter and The Humane Society uses Animal Services to kill the animals they don’t want.

That.. is according to your own documents.

Because of this “partnership”, no other rescues can pull pets out of the Animal Services. They have to do it through the Humane Society. That appears to be a problem, as several of our local rescues tell me they no longer pull from Sumter County.

A whole neighborhood worked the past few days to save a couple of dogs hanging in their neighborhood. After several days of gaining their trust, they finally got them to come in. We have them and are working to get a foster for them while we try to find the owner.

They would most likely have been put down if they were picked up by Animal Services as they acted "aggressive" when anyone tried to get near them.

We have no safe place to take them as the Humane Society doesn't take pets and our county shelter kills them.

We are in desperate need of a safe place to take our pets. or…. Our pets die.
This “partnership” has had over 2 years to work.

Gentlemen, it's NOT working. PLEASE… Stop turning your back on our pets and let's work together to go No Kill.

My name is Angie Fox and I'm with Lost Pets of The Villages."

Last edited by angiefox10; 12-11-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Sage
Default And yet more...

As you can see in my last post, I quoted their own Policies and Procedures.

Here is what it comes down to. Again, remember, it was the Humane Society that came out against No Kill. Not us against them. We just had to find out why.

"I have been trying to figure out why the Humane Society didn't just keep quiet and spoke out against us. Why wouldn't the Humane Society not want a No Kill shelter? If you really love animals... Wouldn't everyone want that?Oh wait....

Isn't it true that the county gives the Humane Society money for spay and neuter for the pets?

Isn't is also true the county gives the Humane Society employees?
Isn't also true the County give the Humane Society money to run the facility?

Isn't it also true the Humane Society gets first pick of the animals so they don't have to take any animals that need extra care or may have a behavior problem?

Thus the reason all animals go to Animal Services first....

Of course, the Humane Society supports Animal Services. DUH!
Everyone kept saying... follow the money. I just freaking connected the dots!!!!

And now.. back to our regular scheduled program...

Time to go No Kill!!!"

Last edited by angiefox10; 12-11-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Sage
Default Pay attention!!!

It's quite a little operation they have going on there. They don't want the gravy train to stop...

"For everyone worried about the Humane Society going broke, they have $665, 238.00 in cash and investments at the end of 2016. Do you have that kind of money?

Total liabilities at the end of 2016... Zero!!!!

They finished off 2015 with $584.078. That's $81,160. 00 profit in one year!

Why aren't they taking some of this money and putting it into buildings and saving our pets?

They have been working for a green shelter since 2008, that we know of. I'm pretty sure all the animals that have died care about a "green" facility!!!

This STINKS!!!!"

Nice little sum of money for a "non profit"

Last edited by angiefox10; 12-11-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Sage

In 2016 the Humane Society adopted out 1,053 animals.

Animal Services took in 2,185.

Only saving 48% of our animals.

These are not good numbers.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Sage
Default Documentation

We don't put anything out there without documentation.

We don't make up stories. It's not always easy to get the documentation as neither one of the facilities if forthcoming.

We are told much more, but can't post until we actually get the proof. And in time we do.

If there is anything you would like to see, please ask, I will be happy to post.

Here is the tax information... All except the pee stained copy they sent me. And I can take pictures of those if you wish.

Form 990, 990 Tax Forms | Foundation Center

We have attorneys and tax accountants working on this.

Animal Services is under investigation. Now, the question is, how much are the Humane Society and Animal Services "partnered"?

Last edited by angiefox10; 12-11-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 PM

So you would rather ruin someone reputation and have animals killed due to your twist of information that you feel no one should donate to that Shelter. So have any of you gone to that shelter to volunteer to make a difference? NO! Have you had any conversations to see exactly how everything works there! NO! Do you tell everyone that now that Lake County is No Kill that they are at capacity and cannot always take in animals? No! Do you tell people that if they need to turn in an animal at Lake County that they need to make an appt. that may be two weeks out before they can bring there pet in to surrender? NO! Do you let the public know that you cannot surrender a pet to another county that it must be the county you live in? NO! So why not work with the county instead of against it? All you do is make a lot of noise and do nothing to fix the situation!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimit56 View Post
So you would rather ruin someone reputation and have animals killed due to your twist of information that you feel no one should donate to that Shelter. So have any of you gone to that shelter to volunteer to make a difference? NO! Have you had any conversations to see exactly how everything works there! NO! Do you tell everyone that now that Lake County is No Kill that they are at capacity and cannot always take in animals? No! Do you tell people that if they need to turn in an animal at Lake County that they need to make an appt. that may be two weeks out before they can bring there pet in to surrender? NO! Do you let the public know that you cannot surrender a pet to another county that it must be the county you live in? NO! So why not work with the county instead of against it? All you do is make a lot of noise and do nothing to fix the situation!

Actually, YES.. Karen was one of the top volunteers and was honored as such. Yes, she knows what goes on in there! We have also talked to people who work in there.

Yes, I have had conversations to see how everything works there and I was told exactly what was written in the P & P and on the webpage. I have asked for the Humane Society SOP and they refuse to give it to me. How can I REALLY know how they operate if they won't give me that information? But to be honest, one of the volunteers brought me a copy... But I can't tell you right now what she brought me. I want to see what HS comes up with. If anything.

Yes... Lake County does have a lot of animals. They also take in a lot of our animals. I have never heard of Lake County turning down animals. Understand, Lake County isn't under investigation. Sumter County is!

Yes... You do have to make an appointment to turn in an animal at Lake County. It's part of the NO Kill concept. It gives people a chance to come up with other solutions. It's not because they can't take them. Read up on the No Kill Concept and you will understand this.

No... You do not have to live in that county to bring in a stray if it is found in Lake County. Thus why so many of Sumter animals end up in Lake. People drive them to Lake and say they were found there. As to living there to surrender your own pet, that is most likely true. The Humane Society does not take owner surrender. Animal Surrenders in Sumter have to go to Animal Services.

I have posted facts. I have posted the policies and procedures of AS and what is on HS webpage. I can also post audio of what the commissioners have said as far as their "partnership" It was the Humane Society who came out against No Kill?

Why would a "shelter" come out against No KIll? I have answered all your questions, would you answer that one for me?

I think I know who I am responding to. Would you like me to paste the conversation I had with a volunteer telling me about what goes on in the Humane Society. I believe you KNOW the conversation. If you aren't the person I think you are, I would be glad to send it to you. NO one who has seen it can tell me it's not true.

It's time to stop killing our pets. They are being killed on the truck. YOU know this is true. NO amount of volunteering will save those pets. You know they killed Kim's dog within 24 hours of intake! Because someone was mad at her and knew they would kill her dog... So they took it to AS Sumter County and they were right.. .her healthy dog was killed within 24 hours. They called it a mistake. You know how many mistakes they have there?

Too many!

Why is the Humane Society OK with this? They are "partners" THey have the money to save those animals. Why aren't they taking it out of the bank and saving them?

BTW. Lake County isn't under investigation. Sumter County is! This isn't about Lake County. This is about Sumter County!

I will be happy to send the report to anyone who would like to see it.

You tell me I am posting half truths and then you post about Lake county . You still have not told me or anyone else what the "half truths" are. You have only posted about another county.

Tags
society, humane, county, sumter, policies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.