Invisible dog fence

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2020, 01:26 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again
Default Invisible dog fence

thought this might be the 1 thing we could have in place previous to moving into the home end of month,,, any 'watch out's' or 'good guys' comments on who to call OR NOT call ?
THANKS IN ADV
Old 07-07-2020, 02:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

We used DogWatch of Central Florida For our lab when we moved here full time. 352-644-1447

Good price, great value.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
thought this might be the 1 thing we could have in place previous to moving into the home end of month,,, any 'watch out's' or 'good guys' comments on who to call OR NOT call ?
THANKS IN ADV
Sorry I can't recommend anyone to contact, but I do know of one house here that has the invisible fence.
Personally, I don't trust them to be 100% effective as I have first hand knowledge of a dog that got by one. We lived in Washington in a community like TV in that "no fences or walls". A neighbor several houses away left her lab alone in the yard and the dog (his name was Max) was chasing birds and ran right through the invisible fence. Once outside, I guess he couldn't get back in, so he went looking for a playmate. He saw me working in my yard and ran up to me and tried to get me to play. In his exuberance, he bit me on the hand and drew blood. A lot of it. My wife called the neighbor who came to take him home and when she saw blood dripping from my hand ( No exaggeration here), she was was mortified, to say the least. I mentioned the dogs name so you would understand when I tell you that later that day I heard the doorbell ring and answered , no one was there, but I found a large plate of freshly baked cookies with an apology letter from Max.
The moral of my story: if you put in an invisible fence, be prepared to make cookies.

Stay well. Stay safe. Don't rely on an invisible fence. Peace!
Old 07-07-2020, 02:36 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

at my age, 1/2 the time i appear to have been attacked by an angry bride using a 9 iron,,, the other 1/2 its only (?) a sand wedge,,, that's another concern - just how effective is it compared to a 4,000 hi-test hercaloy chain ? as you opined, its 'breakable' depending on circumstances
thanks for the replies - best
Old 07-07-2020, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
THANKS IN ADV
Please do some research before you let your dog (or any other pet) out unattended. Invisible fences keep dogs in, they do NOT keep predators OUT, and we have predators. Depending on the size of your dog, coyotes, hawks, snakes, gators to name a few. Also, there is a Florida dog leash law that I believe you will be violating as well as The Villages rules for all dogs on leashes at all times. Please keep fido in until you can walk him.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Invisible dog fence

I know it's just me, but why do you need a fence for an invisible dog?
Old 07-07-2020, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Ha ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Invisible dog fence

I know it's just me, but why do you need a fence for an invisible dog?
HAHAHAHA!!! That is Sooo funny. Thank you for the laugh.

Stay well. Stay safe. Stay dry. Peace!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:48 AM

We, too, are considering this. Please let me know what you find out. TIA
Maria
Old 07-08-2020, 05:15 AM
Default Dog fences not considerate of fellow neighbors

Quote:
THANKS IN ADV
Neighbor near by has one . When I walk by house I am bark at and charged by dog up until barrier and it’s very disconcerting.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
THANKS IN ADV
We used Invisible Fence. Very happy with them. We no longer have our dogs, but despite the naysayers, ours were not aggressive and never tried to break the barrier. They learned within a day how far they could go in the yard. Our yellow lab loved being outside and we still have neighborhood walkers tell us they miss seeing her.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:46 AM
Default Invisible dog fence

I think my neighbor has an invisible dog. I'll ask him about it.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

My son has two very active Australian Shepard pups (about 6-8 months old). He’s had electric fences installed both at his home as well as his vacation home. They.work like a charm.

If there’s any suggestion he might have for really active dogs like his it would be don’t make the protected area too small. He did that at his home and there’s not much grass left “inside”. And it’s very muddy during rainy seasons.

Don’t know the brand but obviously there were different installers at both homes.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:20 AM

Keep in mind that there are coyotes and other predators here in The Villages. I would never leave my dogs alone in the yard.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:26 AM

I used invisible fence Of Central Florida… 352 - 351–1055. How did installed about a month ago for my springer spaniel who loves to run after people and bark at them and their dogs. He would never hurt anyone but he loves to tell them who’s boss. The fence was installed in a day and my dog learned very quickly where he can and cannot be. A trainer comes out two or three times or more if needed and worked with my dog and with me. I highly recommend them. Not only does my dog not run after people or attempt to he doesn’t bark at them in the street anymore I guess because he knows he can’t go after them. It was money well spent $1999 and worth it. If you want to talk, you can call me at 910-603-8728
Old 07-08-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
THANKS IN ADV
We used "Invisible Fence of Central Florida" 800 329 3647. Appreciate they spent time teaching us how to work with our dogs and the fence, BEFORE it was installed. Kids got used to where they could walk and learned the perimeter. They also spent time after the install working with the kids, teaching us how to use the collar and how to test the system. Batteries are not cheap, but found less expensive ones on the internet.
Closed Thread

Tags
call, invisible, month, watch, outs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.