Invisible dog fence

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2020, 06:51 AM
Default Wireless

We use a wireless system. Pet Safe or Gaurdian are good.
Both our dogs were trained on this system.
Training is essential to keep your dog safe.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Please do some research before you let your dog (or any other pet) out unattended. Invisible fences keep dogs in, they do NOT keep predators OUT, and we have predators. Depending on the size of your dog, coyotes, hawks, snakes, gators to name a few. Also, there is a Florida dog leash law that I believe you will be violating as well as The Villages rules for all dogs on leashes at all times. Please keep fido in until you can walk him.
Not on your own property !
Old 07-08-2020, 07:14 AM

We have “Invisable Fence” and am completely satisfied. The new electronics is much better than older versions. Give them a call, very educational.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:15 AM

My wife was an Invisible Fence dog trainer for several years in Charleston, SC. They work, and your pets learn quickly.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:24 AM
Veteran member
Default Two big thumbs up for invisible fences

We bought an invisible fence system from Dog Watch in 2013 and have used it ever since. After a short training period, our dog has completely learned the boundaries and can now wander the yard and enjoy herself. She has a natural tendency to 'run', and w/o the invisible fence we might never see her again. Previous to the fence, when we'd answer the door, or when a family member would just come in, she'd bolt and run far distances before we could corral her. So scary. So we love it and would do it again in a heartbeat. And yes, we do monitor her closely while she's outside because of potential predators coming inside the line.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Just remember, while you may train your dog to stay within the boundaries of your yard, invisible fences will not prevent an unleashed or stray dog from entering your yard.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:38 AM
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
thought this might be the 1 thing we could have in place previous to moving into the home end of month,,, any 'watch out's' or 'good guys' comments on who to call OR NOT call ?
THANKS IN ADV
It really depends on the dog. My son had a black lab/mix (also named Max). He quickly learned that if he sat near the fence long enough he could weaken the batteries and enjoy his afternoon anywhere he wanted.

Also, our dog was attacked by a hawk while on her leash sleeping in low shrubbery. Fortunately, we were outside with her and the hawk gave up.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:47 AM
Default Be informed

I am a new homeowner in The Villages and I anticipate living there full-time in the next several months. I have installed radio controlled pet fences for the past 25 years. Invisible Fence is actually a brand name. The Invisible Fence line is owned by Radio Systems Corporation located in Knoxville Tennessee. All radio controlled pet fences work on the same principle, however not all fences are exactly the same. Anyone can install a pet fence however a professional may give advice on what may be best for your dog's needs. I installed over 1,200 pet fences and rarely had a problem. They are extremely effective and affordable. A pet fence is a great solution for allowing your dog the freedom to roam on your property. It may not be the best solution considering the size of some properties here in The Villages. The front and back yards may have sufficient room however the sides of the home may not allow enough room for passage. Each home should be evaluated before considering a pet fence.
The average pet fence takes a professional approximately 3 hours to install on average. When shopping for a pet fence be sure to get as many estimates as possible. Ask about other options such as indoor units, dog doors, automatic feeders,etc. If I can answer any of your questions feel free to private message me at anytime.Eric
Old 07-08-2020, 07:58 AM

I purchased from Invisible Fence of Central Florida last year. It was strongly recommended to me by my daughter, who had used them for years, through several homes. I have been very happy with them. Their latest version is very good. My neighbors had the older version of Invisible Fence and their dog would get past the boundary. Not with this new one. They also had other solutions for me, like how to keep the dog away from the cat food. We have it in the lowest setting there is, and still, my dog is very aware of the boundaries and keeps away from it. The training was very good and I also thoroughly appreciated the time the owner spent with me on the phone when I was thinking of creating a smaller area within the boundary area just for the morning poops. She gave me alternatives on what I should do, with the explanation of why I should do one over the other. I think they’re an A+ company and could not say enough good things about them.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Sorry I can't recommend anyone to contact, but I do know of one house here that has the invisible fence.
Personally, I don't trust them to be 100% effective as I have first hand knowledge of a dog that got by one. We lived in Washington in a community like TV in that "no fences or walls". A neighbor several houses away left her lab alone in the yard and the dog (his name was Max) was chasing birds and ran right through the invisible fence. Once outside, I guess he couldn't get back in, so he went looking for a playmate. He saw me working in my yard and ran up to me and tried to get me to play. In his exuberance, he bit me on the hand and drew blood. A lot of it. My wife called the neighbor who came to take him home and when she saw blood dripping from my hand ( No exaggeration here), she was was mortified, to say the least. I mentioned the dogs name so you would understand when I tell you that later that day I heard the doorbell ring and answered , no one was there, but I found a large plate of freshly baked cookies with an apology letter from Max.
The moral of my story: if you put in an invisible fence, be prepared to make cookies.

Stay well. Stay safe. Don't rely on an invisible fence. Peace!
Dogs should never be left in the yard alone. Animals and people can still get to the dog, even though the dog can’t get out. As far as the dog you saw escaping, the dog was not trained to the fence properly and/or the fence wasn’t adjusted properly for the dog. We’ve had an invisible fence for 15-20 years with no problems
Old 07-08-2020, 08:08 AM
Default Invisible Fence

I asked Community Standards and you do not have to have your dog on a leash as long as its in your own yard - just in case you were wondering.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Sorry I can't recommend anyone to contact, but I do know of one house here that has the invisible fence.
Personally, I don't trust them to be 100% effective as I have first hand knowledge of a dog that got by one. We lived in Washington in a community like TV in that "no fences or walls". A neighbor several houses away left her lab alone in the yard and the dog (his name was Max) was chasing birds and ran right through the invisible fence. Once outside, I guess he couldn't get back in, so he went looking for a playmate. He saw me working in my yard and ran up to me and tried to get me to play. In his exuberance, he bit me on the hand and drew blood. A lot of it. My wife called the neighbor who came to take him home and when she saw blood dripping from my hand ( No exaggeration here), she was was mortified, to say the least. I mentioned the dogs name so you would understand when I tell you that later that day I heard the doorbell ring and answered , no one was there, but I found a large plate of freshly baked cookies with an apology letter from Max.
The moral of my story: if you put in an invisible fence, be prepared to make cookies.

Stay well. Stay safe. Don't rely on an invisible fence. Peace!
I hate posts that don’t tell the whole story. What kind of cookies?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:36 AM

I heard that they might not work on a little dog. Anyone have any experience with using it on one?
Old 07-08-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Invisible dog fence

I know it's just me, but why do you need a fence for an invisible dog?
?? Why wouldn’t you? You have a problem with invisible dogs? When I was very young I had a very close invisible friend. In fact, when I have a few too much to drink I sometimes still talk to him. So, show some compassion for the invisible.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 AM
Default Invisible Fence (brand name)

We have used/had for 4 dogs. Service is excellent. Our home backed up to a marsh (hence lots of critters came through our back yard in MI. I had to be trained (big factor for success) Training is very important as is being out with the dog. If your dog has been previously been trained for “recall”, you have a way to back up the Invisible Fence(IF) training.

Yes the dog may test the boundaries and yes they will get a warning from the collar before they get too close then a shock. The IF trainer will only set it at the lowest level for dog to recognize it has to stop.
Yes my dogs have breached the boundaries if they found the stimulus is worth going out of the yard. I have used lots of positive reinforcement when my dog respected my commands.

Otherwise I had a leash at the ready to bring him back. Lots of factors come into play.
When training you will only have the driveway to bring it back to the yard never take your dog over the IF to walk it (part of training) Once YOU have everything set you and your dog will enjoy the freedom to walk the yard. Let me know if I can answer any questions. NO I do not have stock in Invisible Fence😁
Closed Thread

Tags
call, invisible, month, watch, outs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.