Just a dog

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Default Just a dog

From time to time people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog." or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, time spent, or costs involved for "Just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "Just a dog." Many hours have passed with my only company being "Just a dog." And not once have I felt slighted. Some of my saddest moments were brought about by "Just a dog." In those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "Just a dog" provided comfort and purpose to overcome the day.

If you think it's "Just a dog," you will probably understand phrases like "Just a friend," "Just a sunrise," or "Just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and the patience that makes me a better person. Because of "Just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

For me and people like me, it's not "Just a dog." It's an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday people can understand it's not "Just a dog." It's the thing that strengthens my humanity and keeps me from being "Just a man or a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "Just a dog," smile, because they "Just Don't Know."

Author Unknown
Portsmouth, Virginia
Hamilton, Ohio
Newport, Rhode Island
Millington,Tennessee
Jacksonville, Florida
Norfolk, Virginia
Aberdeen, New Jersey
Winter Garden, Florida
Winter Haven, Florida
Davenport, Florida
The Villages
Old 02-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Location: Lived in Vermont for 52 years now at Smithmountainlake ,VA
Default Just a dog made me smile....

Hi there,

We don't have a dog, but we have grandpuppies that we love and adore.....
Old 02-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Default I have a dog.......................

Oh my goodness, how I agree with "Just A Dog". That was so beautiful and so true, thanks for sharing it.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:00 AM

I agree. With me it would be 'justs dogs" since I have two. They sleep with me every night. They're always there to greet me when I come home and cheer me up when I am down.

Amy had surgery for a tumor a couple of months ago and I was worried sick(she turned out fine). Would I do that for 'just a dog'.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

I so, so miss my "just a dog"...

Thanks for sharing..
Old 02-21-2010, 07:29 PM

You are welcome everyone!

My cousin sent this to me and when I read it I knew I wanted to share it with everyone.

I love my "just a dog", and all the other "just a dogs" out there!
Portsmouth, Virginia
Hamilton, Ohio
Newport, Rhode Island
Millington,Tennessee
Jacksonville, Florida
Norfolk, Virginia
Aberdeen, New Jersey
Winter Garden, Florida
Winter Haven, Florida
Davenport, Florida
The Villages
Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Smile

I loved "Just a Dog". Found myself tearing up, in a good way of course. I'm going to send it to a few of my dog lover friends. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
From time to time people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog." or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, time spent, or costs involved for "Just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "Just a dog." Many hours have passed with my only company being "Just a dog." And not once have I felt slighted. Some of my saddest moments were brought about by "Just a dog." In those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "Just a dog" provided comfort and purpose to overcome the day.

If you think it's "Just a dog," you will probably understand phrases like "Just a friend," "Just a sunrise," or "Just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and the patience that makes me a better person. Because of "Just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

For me and people like me, it's not "Just a dog." It's an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday people can understand it's not "Just a dog." It's the thing that strengthens my humanity and keeps me from being "Just a man or a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "Just a dog," smile, because they "Just Don't Know."

Author Unknown
Thanks Pebbles .. your post says it all!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Smile Always a Loved One

To a person who is a dog lover, there is no such thing as "Just A Dog". My little doxie Buster,who died 2 years ago on February 6th, was the king of our castle. He was a loving companion for almost 17 years and even now I cry when I think that he is gone forever. My husband, Buster was his best buddy, and I come to the Villages every summer for 2 months( yeah, I still have to go to work) and when we brought Buster with us he would love to ride in the golf cart and just loved to look around at everything.

I can't understand how some people can just view a pet as "Just A Dog". Buster was one of our children , as any pet lover could understand, and without him , life is just not the same.

My husband is still so heartbroken that he refuses to get another dog. For myself, I need to have another dog to love but I understand completely how he feels. No dog will ever replace my Buster.

I thank you for this thread and I appreciate all the dog lovers out there.

PS I don't post much , just lurk around alot.... but I love this forum....

See you in July, (God willing)

The Bronx Girl
Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments about "Just A Dog".

I have had several dogs in my lifetime, and each of them gave me "unconditional love", they never judged me the way "humans" do. During the rough patches in my life, my dogs would sit and listen and let me speak, they never gave me advice, they just listened and that is all I needed.

There is such trust and love in our dogs' eyes, they don't ask for much, but they give so much in return.

Bronx Girl I also had a dachshund (doxie) in my life. He was with me for almost sixteen years.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." ~Roger Caras
Portsmouth, Virginia
Hamilton, Ohio
Newport, Rhode Island
Millington,Tennessee
Jacksonville, Florida
Norfolk, Virginia
Aberdeen, New Jersey
Winter Garden, Florida
Winter Haven, Florida
Davenport, Florida
The Villages
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Sage

If you spell dog backwards guess what?

Not just a coincidence, Because these canine companions possess so many of the God like qualities its just amazing. They are loving, devoted, and most of all non-judgemental. Those are all biggies that so many humans dont have.
And the unconditional love that they give us is something we could all use a few lessons in. They have pure little spirits that only know love. How close is that to our maker? Im not a religious freak," just a human"who has made many observations about these wonderful creatures after working with them for so many years.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bronx Girl View Post

My husband is still so heartbroken that he refuses to get another dog. For myself, I need to have another dog to love but I understand completely how he feels. No dog will ever replace my Buster. Bronx Girl
First of all, THANK YOU TONY for the new doggie icon!! Biggins and Lolli Pop thank you.

Bronx Girl, I totally know what you mean about "no dog will ever replace my Buster". You sound like such loving parents, I hope you get another fur baby soon.

When my dog Brutus had to be euthanized last March (due to a brain tumour), I was devastated. And I had no wish to "replace" him, believe me. Brutus has a place in my heart and I will always miss him. My little dog, Biggins, was also missing his big brother. I felt guilty even considering adopting another dog.

But then Lolli Pop was looking for a good home so I adopted her in April. We are her fifth home. She is 63 lbs of happiness. I am now a firm believer in adopting rescue dogs.

Does Lolli replace Brutus? Never, no way, I still miss Brutus terribly. But now we've got a new member of our family who provides us with unconditional love. She is a much-loved addition to our family, but never a replacement.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Sage

Dear Bronx Girl,

I too hope you get another dog. Of course he/she will never replace Buster, precisely because no is "just a ".

I felt as you do when we lost our dear Norfolk Terrier many, many years ago. Ultimately, we didn't get another terrier because it would have been too hard. We love our Shih Tzu and still love our late NT no less.

See, here's the thing. Love is multiplied, never divided. If kids understood that, there would be no need for sibling rivalries.

Another dog deserves your love and kindness.

Best regards.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Gold member
Default Just a dog....

Thank you for posting this. My "just a dog"' is 16 years old and the thougt of not having her puts me in tears. I love my hubby, my children, and my "just a dog"
Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Default Dog

We too have a sad situation. Our twelve year old Jack Russell is failing and rather than put him through all the invasive operations and treatments we have chosen to give him the gift of peace and an end to his pain. It hurts so much, as I am sure all of you can identify with. Monday morning we will take him for his final ride in HIS car and the start of his new journey. His Mommy and Daddy have been crying for him a long time and we want him to find peace.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.