King Charles Cavalier Puppies

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 AM
Default King Charles Cavalier Puppies

Please send me an email if you know of anyone who is interested in a King Charles Cavalier puppy. The puppies will be available for their forever home around April 20th.

Thank you. Debbie
Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Sent you a private message.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddles49 View Post
Please send me an email if you know of anyone who is interested in a King Charles Cavalier puppy. The puppies will be available for their forever home around April 20th.

Thank you. Debbie
I thought Villagers were not to have in excess of two pets?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Also sent you a PM
Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 PM

this breed is known to have genetic strains of heart disease that shortens their dear lives. do you have evidence that the breeding pairs are free of that?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Sage
Default King Charles Cavalier Puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy H View Post
this breed is known to have genetic strains of heart disease that shortens their dear lives. do you have evidence that the breeding pairs are free of that?

All purebreds are prone to genetic issues if they are sufficiently inbred. While your comment is technically accurate (as for most breeds), good veterinary history and familial genealogy can help minimize these issues. My avatar is of our former Cavalier, Winston. Our current pet, Harry, will be 3 in August. His predecessor, Winston, lived until 10. His family had 7 genetic heart problem free generations. Despite that he did develop a heart murmur.

I couldn't ask for a pet with a sweeter disposition.

What's important is to research the family line. Not generally discourage people from purchasing the breed. Personally, I could not ever own another breed.

Last edited by dbussone; 03-05-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM

The greatest companion dog ever!
Perfect for villagers.
The Villages Florida
Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
All purebreds are prone to genetic issues if they are sufficiently inbred. While your comment is technically accurate (as for most breeds), good veterinary history and familial genealogy can help minimize these issues. My avatar is of our former Cavalier, Winston. Our current pet, Harry, will be 3 in August. His predecessor, Winston, lived until 10. His family had 7 genetic heart problem free generations. Despite that he did develop a heart murmur.

What's important is to research the family line. Not generally discourage people from purchasing the breed. Personally, I could not ever own another breed.
Your point is well made. Really well made. I might add... I know that there are many dogs waiting in shelters to be adopted, but I also believe in buying purebreds from a good breeder to keep the different breeds alive and thriving. Please don't pound on me, rescue people. I give to and help shelters and might be encouraged to adopt an older golden after our current one passes on. But like db, I am stuck on one breed because of the reliability of the temperament, the looks, and because I love big dogs.

Please get AKC registry numbers (that might be the wrong term) from the breeder and take them to your vet. She will help you look up the genealogy of the family and any certifications as to heart, joints, eyes, etc. A good breeder will have this, but you can double-check.

I have heard that Cavs have a golden retriever's happy-go-lucky, people loving temperament in a small, manageable body. I know of one whose best friend was a Rottweiler! They sound like great dogs.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Your point is well made. Really well made. I might add... I know that there are many dogs waiting in shelters to be adopted, but I also believe in buying purebreds from a good breeder to keep the different breeds alive and thriving. Please don't pound on me, rescue people. I give to and help shelters and might be encouraged to adopt an older golden after our current one passes on. But like db, I am stuck on one breed because of the reliability of the temperament, the looks, and because I love big dogs.

Please get AKC registry numbers (that might be the wrong term) from the breeder and take them to your vet. She will help you look up the genealogy of the family and any certifications as to heart, joints, eyes, etc. A good breeder will have this, but you can double-check.

I have heard that Cavs have a golden retriever's happy-go-lucky, people loving temperament in a small, manageable body. I know of one whose best friend was a Rottweiler! They sound like great dogs.
Don't let Cathy H put the fear of God in you.
CFrance is correct in what she says and Dbusssone is correct in that all breeds are prone to something.
However, that should never stop you from loving and getting what you want.
Even most dogs of uncertain breed history have something in their genetic makeup whereby they are prone to something.

Throughout my husband's and my life we have had both purebred and mutts.
In purchasing a pure bred dog I would never buy from someone who is simply "having a litter."
Usually, it's because they want to make money. We only buy from a breeder. Breeders usually show their dogs and when they breed, do so for the betterment of the breed. Their dogs are a serious business for them. The good breeders will always have some champions in the dog's lineage.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:20 AM
Platinum member

This boy lived 3/4 of his life with an enlarged heart.
He had the condition when I got him.
He passed a age 13. Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	48626  

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
This boy lived 3/4 of his life with an enlarged heart.
He had the condition when I got him.
He passed a age 13. Alex.
And what a cutie. He appears to be smiling he's so happy.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM

tomw6164@gmail.com interested in puppy
Old 03-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Platinum member

This is a wonderful breed but please ask about the heart health and longevity of the parents and grandparents. My Molly )a Cavalier KCS) was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and died at age 8.....it turned out her mother also had that. It is heartbreaking and took 6 months as she slowly went downhill. Some people can take that. It is very hard on others.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
My daughter's turns 15 next month and acts like a puppy. Her friend's is a couple years behind.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM

We are interested in a female puppy. Please call Lou @ 815.341.4225.
Thank you
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.