Puppy mill rescue

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Default Puppy mill rescue

Three and a half weeks ago we adopted a one year old, 6 pound schnoodle that was rescued from a puppy mill. She has come such a long way in a short time! She was sooooooo scared the first three days, we couldn't pet her or pick her up. Now, she is the sweetest most loving little soul I have ever known. She is starting to learn how to play. She loves to go for walks and has been very good about meeting other fur babies. She is still VERY fearful around strangers and will not allow them to pet her. This is problematic as everyone thinks she is so cute and wants to pet her.

I would love to hear from anyone else who has rescued a puppy mill dog.
Also, if anyone knows of a mobile groomer who has had experience dealing with really frightened dogs, please PM me.
Thank you,
Lynda
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Cristi.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	49118  
Old 03-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Platinum member

I have rescue and they were similar when we got them. as you can see how quickly she responded to you, it just may take more time, or she just may not want to be petted. I have a dog that doesn't like it too much and always tell people that. my other dog, though also a rescue, likes the attention so I tell them to pet him.
but give her time. I always say they are like foster children...scared that the nice home won't last. once she feels more secure she may open up more.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:11 PM

I have dealt with wheaten rescue for over 13 years. She is young, so will quickly make the transition to your home. One recommendation I make for all rescues is to tether them to you for at least a week or two. First, it bonds them to you (if you have a partner - let them tether too). Just take a standard leash and secure it to your body - loop it through a belt hole or wrap around you. She will go everywhere with you. Second, it makes for easy potty training. You will train her when and where to go potty. Lots of rewards for any type of piddle or poo... all positive reinforcements. Not sure if you are crating her or not, but it can be a safety valve for them when you have company or they are feeling insecure. Zip her in at night - keep it in your bedroom - so she associates sleeping with the pack. So much I can say, but she will begin to adapt as long as you prove to be a good pack leader (which I'm sure you will). Don't buy into her shyness... don't baby her - just give her positive encouragement... She has nothing to fear now, she is with you and you will protect her... You are the leader of the pack.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 PM

I have a Cocker Spaniel and it took months before she would stop trying to bite me. Finally it must have sunk in that she was here to stay. Have had her for 5 yrs and still to this day does not like to be petted by anyone other than us. So just hang in there the fear will slowly fade when you show all the love and kindness you have to offer.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaS View Post
Three and a half weeks ago we adopted a one year old, 6 pound schnoodle that was rescued from a puppy mill. She has come such a long way in a short time! She was sooooooo scared the first three days, we couldn't pet her or pick her up. Now, she is the sweetest most loving little soul I have ever known. She is starting to learn how to play. She loves to go for walks and has been very good about meeting other fur babies. She is still VERY fearful around strangers and will not allow them to pet her. This is problematic as everyone thinks she is so cute and wants to pet her.

I would love to hear from anyone else who has rescued a puppy mill dog.
Also, if anyone knows of a mobile groomer who has had experience dealing with really frightened dogs, please PM me.
Thank you,
Lynda

Please tell her Aunt Grace has treats at her house.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The real key is socialization.
Take your little darling everywhere you can, but not where there's a mob scene
Take her to a shopping center and walk her back and forth.
Take her to the mail station where people come and go.
Take tiny treats and give one to someone who stops and wants to pet her and let them give her one.
If you socialize her she will come around.

I know you both will live happily ever after, but she needs some time to come around.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:04 AM

Congrats on rescuing a dog. I think that is GREAT! There are so many needy dogs and cats that need rescued in this world. I ALWAYS choose a pet from a rescue organization to save.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Thank you, Bonnvie, Rockyisle,Plymit56 and Bonanza for taking time to answer!!! I wish I had posted when first starting this journey. I didn't understand the emotional trauma a puppy mill dog sustains. When I saw just how fearful she was, I started researching… I was very naive. I knew puppy mills were bad but I didn't realize how bad or how pervasive they were. I also found that puppies learn to bond and trust with humans by 14 weeks of age. It appears that my little fur baby was in a cage her whole life and any interaction that she had with humans was not kind. Once she was rescued, she was groomed, spayed, microchipped and given all her shots which was in her best interest but must have been very scary. The first real kindness she knew was from her wonderful foster mom. She was petrified of the outdoors… of the wind blowing through the trees and did not seem to understand what she was supposed to do outside. Now, she is so loving with both of us, fully potty trained and loves to go outside for a walk. We have a crate with the door open that she can retreat to when she needs to. I have to keep pushing myself beyond my comfort zone so I can help her. We’re hoping she will be able to transfer the trust she feels with us to our friends and neighbors. Cristi is looking forward to the treats, thank you, Aunt Grace!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:32 AM

Thank you, Goldseekur.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

She is adorable. I loved hearing that she is showing less fear and allowing her little body and mind to relax after all the cruelty she endured. You and people like you are my heroes. Please let us know about the rescue organization and where they are located; many special people on this site may have room in their hearts for a rescue. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:11 PM

I'm so glad she had a happy ending!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
She is adorable. I loved hearing that she is showing less fear and allowing her little body and mind to relax after all the cruelty she endured. You and people like you are my heroes. Please let us know about the rescue organization and where they are located; many special people on this site may have room in their hearts for a rescue. Thank you for sharing.
Hi DuffyMom, thank you for your post. We adopted Cristi from Poodles and Pooch Rescue. They were in Brownwood at Woof Gang Bakery last weekend. They have a great website – Dogs for adoption from our Rescue in Orlando FL From what I understand, there are several people here in the villages fostering for them. I haven't met her but I have seen posts on TOTV from Susan G and it appears that she does a lot of work for their organization. Cristi still has healing to do but… she is so sweet and gentle. I can’t put into words how much we love her and how much adopting her has added to our lives.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Default Rescues

I too was very naive about adopting a rescue dog. I have loved my Abby for ten years now but I have never been able to restore her broken spirit that was damaged before I met her. She does the best she can. But I had to stop trying to re-train her. I learned that dogs do indeed have memories that stay with them forever, good and, bad. We, as the rescuers, can't make them forget their rough beginnings or take away the damage that has already been done to their innocent souls, but we can show them unconditional love with their warts and all. I wish more rescue groups would educate people that adoption means dealing with some issues that every rescue dog has.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:36 PM

She is so beautiful and has come such a long way. Tell her the Hooligans are looking forward to a visit and a romp as soon as she's ready! Mom, you're doing great!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Platinum member

I think when you get one who seems so damaged at the beginning but comes so far (even if it isn't on par with a normally raised dog) it is so gratifying. We had one who would nip children and hated men. He improved where he did not do that but still mostly marched to the beat of his own drummer. He was very protective of my young son who was the one who picked him out. He never became the most sociable dog, but he got better and he seemed to hold a special spot in our hearts. we miss Twister a lot and just the other day were remembering our favorite moments with him.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.