Litter Box In Lanai

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Veteran member
Default Litter Box In Lanai

Does anyone keep their litter box in the lanai? I will be moving into my new Lantana in a few weeks and struggle over where to keep the boxes.

Hubby said he would put a cat door going out to the garage but I have to assume the heat would not be a friend to the odor.

I think the lanai is a good idea but what happens when it rains? Our lanai is covered and has a large birdcage and pool. Another hesitation is how does it look if we entertain. A litter box, regardless of how clean I keep it (and I do) is an eye sore.

Anyone with cats get creative in this area? I definately do not want them in the house so it's the garage or lanai! What works better?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Not sure how large the master bathroom is in the Lantana, but in our Gardenia master bathroom we keep two litter boxes and it has never been a problem. Granted, I am always sweeping the bathroom floor, but there is never an odor. If you keep the litter box in the lanai wouldn't you always need to keep the sliding glass door open so the cat (s) can get to it?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Platinum member

We cut a hole in one of our linen closets....and put that cat door there...they took about a day before they really learned how to use it...but it has been the best thing ever!! We don't see it or smell it....When guests come over it is never an issue!

Suzy Toronto
Old 09-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Eternal Member

nanci -

I have a pet door into the garage and smell and/or heat has never been a problem (2 1/2 years)- I use Fresh Step litter. Why don't you give that a try first - leave the garage door opened slightly for a few days before installing the pet door to see if it works for you.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

IslandGal; are you referring to the door that you can buy at Lowe's? It's a storm/screen door with a cat door in it?

In my former home, I had a finsihed basement and storage areas. My husband cut out an entry way into the storage area. He even put molding around it. Big enough for my 24lb Maine Coon to enter. I never had to deal with the visual or odor part of the box.

MSNPA; I don't want a box in my home. It's not something I could ever get use to regardless of how clean I am. They sell pet door panels with a cat door in it that you attach to the sliders that go out to the lanai. But thanks anyway for your input.

Cassie; I want to use the linen closet for bedding and linens. I don't think I could share it with a litter box!

Thanks all for your input - much appreciated.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The Lantana has the small room off the Laundry room...that would be the best spot "inside" the house and still out of traffic. WE have a pocket door installed that you can even close this room off or leave the door cracked without letting teh"hot" garage or lanai air into your home.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
The Lantana has the small room off the Laundry room...that would be the best spot "inside" the house and still out of traffic. WE have a pocket door installed that you can even close this room off or leave the door cracked without letting teh"hot" garage or lanai air into your home.

Okay, totally confused. My Lantana has a laundry room where the washer and dryer sits. Opposite wall has a window. There is no separate room. Are you referring to the actaul laundry room?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Nanci,
A few weeks ago we bought a pet door panel to attach to our sliding door so the cats could go in and out of the lanai whenever they wanted. We are constantly up and down opening the sliding door when the a/c is on. My one cat would go through the panel, but the other one was scared to death. We ended up returning it. With the weather getting nicer we have the doors open and the cats are in and out all day. I hope you have better luck getting your cats use to the panel.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

We had a storm/screen door up north that had a cat flap door already in it. My cats used this door to go in and out our screened gazebo. They got use to it pretty quickly. My little calico had a hard time but she soon followed the others. What I did was tape the plastic flap up for a few days and then when I put it down, I held a treat on the outside so they would know to come through if they wanted it. All they did was hit the flap with their paws to go through. So I don't think it will be a problem. Maybe you didn't give it enough time. If you decide to give it a go again, just tape the flap up for 2-3 days until they get use to going thru the opening.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Eternal Member

nanci -

I bought the pet door at Pet Smart here (there are several size choices) and had someone install it on my garage door from the house. It works great. My cat does not like the flap, so I taped the flap up and the pet door remains open.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Islandgirl; what happens when you go out and come back entering the garage. If your cat is out there, does he get spooked from the noise of the garage door opener? Do they wander around out in the garage?

I know what you're talking about in terms of the pet door. My husband could install it but just wondering if you spend times hunting for your cats if they are out in the garage?

My cats use to love going in our garage and it would take me forever to get them back in the house
Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Eternal Member

nanci -

Guess I lucked out - my cat runs when he hears the garage door open - the noise frightens him.

He only goes to the garage to use the litter box. When I leave, he stays in the house. As I am leaving, I give him a treat, say stay and he doesn't go toward the garage.
It sounds like you have more than one cat, so don't know how that would work with more than one.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM

My son had a small apartment during grad school and put the litter box under the bathroom sink by taking the door off of the cabinet. Since there are several sinks in your home could a cabinet door under the sink be adapted with the pet door? Obviously, this would be preferable to removing the door. My choice would be the sink cabinet in the utility room. This eliminates the possible entertainment, heat, and security issues created by placing the litter box in the garage or lanai. By the way, cat and son are back home for awhile and litter box is in utility room. Don't think cat will be coming to TV.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

nanci
In our Lanta, the washer and dryer sit on the right as you walk out from the kitchen to the garage and then opposite the Washer/Dryer (on the immeditae left as you are walking out the kitchen to the garage) we have a small room with a pocket door as has a window to the outside. This is the small room I was talking about. IN our small room, we added additional shelves on one side and on the other we added base cabinets, wall cabinets and a wine rack leaving a narrow walkway in the room itself.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.