Litter boxes location

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Default Litter boxes location

We are moving to TV in August with our two pet cats. We'll be downsizing from a CO house with a full basement to a one-level TV home with approximately 1,750 sq feet (3 bedrooms). One of my concerns about the move is where will/should I put two full size cat litter boxes in the TV home. Could some of you multiple cat owners help me out with suggestions? What works best for you and the kitties? Thanks so much in advance!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,461 Times in 3,089 Posts

I live in a ranch home now, that's just 1100 square feet. We keep the litter box in the hall right across from the bathroom. We could put it in the guest bedroom but it's not very practical there. Our home has a basement but the cat doesn't have 24/7 access to it, so no litter box down there either.

Our home in the Villages is a bit larger than that. I'll probably have the litter box in the master bathroom, because there's a counter (the vanity) it can fit under and be out of the way. I usually only have one litter box, even if I have two cats. I just make sure to clean it every day.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

We have ours under the sink in the laundry room. We specified, NO cabinet, so we have the tub style sink which leaves plenty of room for the litter box. BTW, we have one and half cats (actually we have one, but our sons cat visit quite often) and the cats share one litter box very well.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We have ours under the sink in the laundry room. We specified, NO cabinet, so we have the tub style sink which leaves plenty of room for the litter box. BTW, we have one and half cats (actually we have one, but our sons cat visit quite often) and the cats share one litter box very well.
Under the sink in the laundry room sits the cat's litter box also. Took the door off the cabinet so it's more alcove like.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 06:20 AM

Asking off the question, what litter works the best for not sticking to the cat's paws and dropping it all over the house?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:07 AM
Sage

We have a rug in front of the litter box which traps some but not all of the litter. Our cat is a domestic long hair, so we have more hair around the house than litter, but we love our kitty.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:03 AM

Roomba takes care of hair and litter. I don't have a cat any more...he was the original reason for the Roomba. Now, even without a cat, I wouldn't want to go without Roomba.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Just curious if your cats ever seem bothered by the noise of the washing machine. We had our litter box under the laundry tub in the past with a previous cat and then she started to shy away from it.

With our current cat we have it in a storage room off the master bedroom but would love to have it back under the laundry sink if it didn't upset the cat.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Gold member

Talking about cat litter boxes I thought I'd share. We were at someone house who had their litter box in the laundry room. They didn't want to leave their laundry room door open, so they had a hole installed in the wall that looked like the mouse holes you see in cartoons on t.v. The cat could go in the laundry room, but guests didn't have to sit and look at the laundry room. I thought it was neat idea.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:05 PM
Default Litter Box

We live in a 1500+ ft. home with 3 cats and 2 litter boxes, one on the lanai with a pet door fit in the window to the lanai, and one in the master bedroom. I clean them twice daily so no smelly problems.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Just curious if your cats ever seem bothered by the noise of the washing machine. We had our litter box under the laundry tub in the past with a previous cat and then she started to shy away from it.

With our current cat we have it in a storage room off the master bedroom but would love to have it back under the laundry sink if it didn't upset the cat.
Our cat is very mellow, and does not appear to be concerned with the noise in the laundry room, also we only need to run the washer and dryer once a week so we have never had a problem.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:17 PM

Thank you so much, everyone! Such helpful responses! RodNut
Old 06-08-2019, 02:36 PM

It's already been mentioned, but the laundry room is where I also keep the 2 litter boxes. The room is directly to the left of where you walk in from the garage; has a sink and we keep one under there, on a mat, with newspaper under that. The other one is right next to it, same mat/newspaper. Washing machine doesn't bother them, they're fat/happy and seem to know that this is paradise. : )
Weird that they were outside cats in DC (cat door in backyard door), but after 2 weeks of not coming out from under the bed after the move, they've never "asked" to go outside (CYV), we've never let them, and all's been aok w/them inside.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Our cat is very mellow, and does not appear to be concerned with the noise in the laundry room, also we only need to run the washer and dryer once a week so we have never had a problem.
Thanks for responding with your experience. I don't know for sure but suspect that our previous cat was looking for a little private time in the litter box when the washing machine went into an unbalanced spin cycle and that caused her to shy away in the future.

Kind of humorous to picture the cat in there when suddenly her whole world starts rumbling and shaking.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
Asking off the question, what litter works the best for not sticking to the cat's paws and dropping it all over the house?
TidyCats SLIDE
Closed Thread

Tags
full, cat, home, litter, boxes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.