Looking to Adopt a Healthy Short-Haired Cat.

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Sorry but I cannot justify patronizing these cruel pet mills. I cannot even go into one of those places without feeling extreme sadness.
You have your facts wrong. The Petco/PetSmart adoptions are shelter cats, not mills. There is only one mill around here that I knoow of, and it's for small dogs. Used to be at Markets of Marion and now is in Belleview.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Default Almost no cats available

Well at the suggestion of responders to this thread, I went to the Marion county animal center and they had two house cats and maybe 5 feral cats. AtThe Petsmart on 441 they had one cat.

Concluding that it’s nearly impossible to adopt a cat in the villages area. How sad.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Well at the suggestion of responders to this thread, I went to the Marion county animal center and they had two house cats and maybe 5 feral cats. AtThe Petsmart on 441 they had one cat.

Concluding that it’s nearly impossible to adopt a cat in the villages area. How sad.
They have a whole houseful of cats at the Humane Society off of 301. Cat Gallery – Your Humane Society SPCA

Also, when did you go to Petsmart? The adoptions occur on the weekend.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Default Your SPCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
They have a whole houseful of cats at the Humane Society off of 301. Cat Gallery – Your Humane Society SPCA

Also, when did you go to Petsmart? The adoptions occur on the weekend.
I was at Petsmart earlier today. One cat in the adoption area.
I’ve heard that your Humane Society is extremely expensive and has a rigorous and lengthy vetting process. And that they normally turn down most applicants.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
I was at Petsmart earlier today. One cat in the adoption area.
I’ve heard that your Humane Society is extremely expensive and has a rigorous and lengthy vetting process. And that they normally turn down most applicants.
See Post #18. Today is not the weekend.

My friend adopted two cats from Your Humane Society with no problem. Filled out an application. Picked up the cats a few days later. This was a few years ago, so maybe it has been changed. But if you want a healthy, well-fed, innoculated and neutered cat, I think you will find their price reasonable. If you want a free cat, try Craigslist.

After a simple call to Your Humane Society: Cats age 1-6, $50. Older, $40; black cats orkittens, $30. Under 1 year old; $75

I don't think that's outrageous.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:42 PM
Default Your Humane SPCA

Quote:

My friend adopted two cats from Your Humane Society with no problem. Filled out an application. Picked up the cats a few days later. This was a few years ago, so maybe it has been changed. But if you want a healthy, well-fed, innoculated and neutered cat, I think you will find their price reasonable. If you want a free cat, try Craigslist.

After a simple call to Your Humane Society: Cats age 1-6, $50. Older, $40; black cats orkittens, $30. Under 1 year old; $75

That’s about halfway to Tampa from the northernmost villages. And they make you visit the facility at least two times, once to fill out an application and then a second time to select a cat, assuming you pass.

You hear about all these little creatures who are desperately looking for a home. But in reality it’s Simply not true.

Really wish there was someplace closer.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
That’s about halfway to Tampa from the northernmost villages. And they make you visit the facility at least two times, once to fill out an application and then a second time to select a cat, assuming you pass.

You hear about all these little creatures who are desperately looking for a home. But in reality it’s Simply not true.

Really wish there was someplace closer.
It sounds like you want someone to drop a healthy, free cat on your doorstep. Good luck to you. While you're factoring in price and inconvenience, don't forget costs and time needed to visit the vet.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Petco does an outstanding job getting dogs and cats new homes. They work closely with area rescues and shelters.
this is correct. imo, Petco goes the extra step of finding LOCAL pets a home. don't feel bad looking there, this isnt a 'mill' situation. GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:

that's a VERY reasonable price! the $$ goes towards the shelters operation, so it's a win-win
Old 02-27-2020, 02:11 PM

please contact the "CatCrazyVillagers.com" then go to the tab for "adoption/rehoming" and talk to them. They foster many wonderful cats that have been abandoned when Villager residents have died or gone into assisted living homes and can't take their beloved pets. They always have beautiful cats just waiting to find a loving home and new "furever" home again! Good Luck!! Cat Crazy Villagers - Adoption/Rehoming

Last edited by dkaufnelson; 02-27-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: forgot to give link
Old 02-27-2020, 06:25 PM

On Facebook there is a group called Pet Matches for Villagers and area. There are always cats available. There is a real pretty one that I just saw. I think the owner had passed away.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:22 PM
Sage

Did you see this...
Maine Coon mix needs 1 cat only home
Old 02-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:

Strange, I was at Petsmart on 441 yesterday around noon. There were 3 cats there. BabyGirl - who's been there for a few weeks, is 2 years old, short-haired, very cuddly, and has exquisite markings (she's a black calico). Then there was a brother and sister, but both of them were kittens. There was a 4th named Pearl, but I believe that one was adopted yesterday. The guy from the Humane Society was there to check up on them, clean their cages, take them out and play with them, etc. etc.

Here is a website showing pictures of all the cats available at the Humane Society of Lake County shelter, which is a no-kill shelter.

Humane Society of Lake County in Umatilla, Florida

Each photo has a link to the cat's description and needs, and there's a contact phone number and the address of the shelter in Umatilla.

Also according to the Marion County Animal Shelter's website and built-in search engine with easy filtering capabilities, there are four adoptable adult cats available.

I'm a little concerned that you are asking other people to do this research for you, instead of checking these sources yourself. Caring for a cat is a commitment to take responsibility for the life of a fellow creature on this planet. A google search is so easy to do and takes so little effort.

As for vetting potential adopters, this is a good thing. The shelters want to make sure that the person taking the animal will be a) a good fit, b) a responsible pet-owner, c) capable of caring for whichever pet they've chosen.

The only people who would have a problem with this vetting process, are people who are either a) a bad fit, b) irresponsible, c) incapable of caring for their pet.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:40 AM
Default Cat(s) available for adoption

Quote:
Villager looking to adopt a mature but playful male or female cat. Must be short -haired, clean, affectionate and housebroken. It will have a safe and loving forever home up in the Orange Blossom side.
Doug

I have two 6 year old sister cats. May be adopted together or INDIVIDUALLY.

Their owner passed away in January. Fiesta is a dark tortoise shell, short hair with golden eyes. She loves to play and is affectionate.

Fiesta is up to date on shots and has a clean bill of health from Veteranarian as of Feb. 8, 2020.

Sylvia
sylvias43fl@gmail.com
702-373-5780
Old 03-24-2020, 04:06 PM
Default Licorice or Frisky for you!

Quote:
Villager looking to adopt a mature but playful male or female cat. Must be short -haired, clean, affectionate and housebroken. It will have a safe and loving forever home up in the Orange Blossom side.
Doug
Hi! I have two American SH domestic females. Licorice loves to have her belly rubbed and to cuddle up next to her humans. Her sister, Frisky, is a people-cat; she's comfortable with strangers and like Licorice loves to be petted. Both girls enjoy to have their coats petted.

I have current vet reports detailing up-to-date vaccines; both cats have been spayed. If interested, contact me at 954-557-4712.
Closed Thread

Tags
adopt, cat, loving, safe, forever

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.