Lost cat - large orange male tabby

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Sage

Apparently there was a possible sighting today in the Enrique/Margarita area. Marcia has already searched the area and will do so again later. If you live in that area, please tell your neighbours.

I'm heading out now with Fireboy, tuna in hand, to look for Oliver in that area and also around the Glenbrook Postal Station.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Happy Hunting, Barefoot! Keeping our fingers and paws crossed up here in Indiana. Have been hoping Oliver has returned home. Thanks goodness for all of the animal lovers in The Villages! I am sure this will have a good ending!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Sage

From our travels today, I must say that Marcia is doing a fantastic job of publicizing Oliver's disappearance. We decided to hang out at Mail Stations where Oliver has been seen. We made large colored pictures of Oliver to show to people. The first man I approached on Talley Ridge, I showed him the picture of the cat and he said "Oh, that's Oliver, we've all been looking for him". I probably talked to at least 30 people, and for the most part, they're all aware of Oliver's disappearance and all very concerned. People are so kind in The Villages.

We also drove around Margarita and Enrique and talked to anyone outdoors and showed Oliver's picture. We also talked to people at the local Mail Station. Sadly, we didn't find Oliver. But we did find so many people who love animals and expressed concern, and promised to call if they spot him. And they promised to alert their neighbours.

I think the very best way of publicizing a cat's disappearance is on the radio station. They seem very open to talking about animals that are lost or found. I'm very disappointed we couldn't find anyone who has recently had an Oliver sighting. However there is abundant food available once he hones up his hunting skills. I feel there is still an excellent chance that Oliver and Marcia will be reunited!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
From our travels today, I must say that Marcia is doing a fantastic job of publicizing Oliver's disappearance. We decided to hang out at Mail Stations where Oliver has been seen. We made large colored pictures of Oliver to show to people. The first man I approached on Talley Ridge, I showed him the picture of the cat and he said "Oh, that's Oliver, we've all been looking for him". I probably talked to at least 30 people, and for the most part, they're all aware of Oliver's disappearance and all very concerned. People are so kind in The Villages.

We also drove around Margarita and Enrique and talked to anyone outdoors and showed Oliver's picture. We also talked to people at the local Mail Station. Sadly, we didn't find Oliver. But we did find so many people who love animals and expressed concern, and promised to call if they spot him. And they promised to alert their neighbours.

I think the very best way of publicizing a cat's disappearance is on the radio station. They seem very open to talking about animals that are lost or found. I'm very disappointed we couldn't find anyone who has recently had an Oliver sighting. However there is abundant food available once he hones up his hunting skills. I feel there is still an excellent chance that Oliver and Marcia will be reunited!
Bare,
You're so kind as always. Wish I were there to help. I can't wait to read the happy news of Marcia and Ollie's reunion.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Platinum member

Marcia
You have many, many people looking for Oliver and hoping for his safe return and our prayers are with him and you. The other day I went to a horse farm in Ocala with my friend to see her horse and mentioned that your cat was still missing and how hard you have searched for him and the owner said her siamese had recently had a litter. There is the cutest orange tabby kitten with deep blue eyes and she said it is yours if you are interested. It could be a sibling for Ollie when he returns.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Default Oliver's human friends

All,

Well...still looking.

I had some good sightings over the weekend: near Enrique/Margharita, one off Idlewood, and one in Springdale.

People who are seeing Oliver tend to be seeing him in one of two ways: a) he is "visiting" their cats from the other side of the window/lanai door and the indoor cats are reacting excitedly, or b) he is out sunning himself in someone's back yard. If you see him doing the latter, please approach him quietly and s-l-o-w-l-y so you don't frighten him. That way he can be corraled into an enclosed space easier than if takes off again. If anyone needs to borrow a humane/havahart trap, please contact me privately and I'll arrange it.

Less commonly, I have become aware that some of the hungry formerly domesticated cats are active Sunday nights or on Monday mornings when the trash is put out. I had one report over the weekend that someone had seen Oliver the prior Sunday night. However, I sat out two nights ago waiting for him....and no Oliver.

The cat seen near The Villages High school is indeed orange but has more white on him that Ollie does. That cat's tail was white at the end, sort of like a big fluffy white light bulb. Oliver's tail tip is rust-colored. However, it was good lead and I left some tuna fish out for that cat so he could eat well, at least for onece. One to be a good person, and two I didn't want to drive around with an open can of very odorous tunafish in the car. Not to worry, I also circled back for the tin in the morning and disposed of it properly.

I am still trying to find Oliver and get him contained. Many people have suggested leaving a garage door open about 10 inches so he can get in. Someone saw him run into someone else's garage ah, er 3 weeks ago (and was shooed out shortly thereafter). He was shooed out as everyone thought of him as a stray. I am assuming by now that he and his collar have become separated.

Oliver seems to have gone all over the Villages and/or there are many orange tabby cats.

Thanks again, everyone and I will keep trying!

Marcia
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Default More on Oliver's adventures

And, I am very, very, VERY thankful for everyone's prayers and help.

Aside from the reward (or donation to the charity of your choice) I am considering holding a reception for everyone who has helped in getting Oliver returned safely.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum member

I'm thinking that Oliver is outside my usual purview!

On the other hand, the more folks are keeping an eye for our four-footed friends, the more they're going to survive!

SWR
Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Sage

I think there will will be celebrations all throughout TV when Ollie is returned safely home.

Please, please, please let it be!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner;34***6
I think there will will be celebrations all throughout TV when Ollie is returned safely home.

Please, please, please let it be!
There will a mini celebration here in upstate NY too, and until then... The Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida let it be!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Default Oliver Redux

All,

There was an interesting post on the site today about a cat being kidnapped from The Villages. It is not in the All about pets area. I hope that Oliver is still ok.

His heartbroken Mama, Marcia
Old 04-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb902 View Post
All,
There was an interesting post on the site today about a cat being kidnapped from The Villages. It is not in the All about pets area. I hope that Oliver is still ok. His heartbroken Mama, Marcia
Marcia, I hope that you continue to call the radio station and report Oliver missing. I think that is the very best way to find him, since we don't know what Village Oliver is in right now.

Please don't give up hope. It's amazing how many cats end up coming home after weeks, or months.

Fingers Crossed
Bare
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Marcia, as you know, cats are highly intelligent. Don't despair because Olliver is probably over his fear and is now having fun catching grasshoppers, mice, and every other little thing that looks good to eat to a cat. He will be found. Don't give up.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Marcia, when Oliver comes home, lets have a party and celebrate. I'm praying that it's soon.

The story about the abducted cat is a strange one and I'm not sure what to think about it. It's bizarre.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Default Oliver's return - Weekend sighting

There was another sighting over the weekend. This one in Briarwood, where he was seen sitting under a car. Someone there is watching out for him, but if anyone knows anyone in Briarwood that would be willing to put out a trap, that would be even better. I have two havahart traps for use and can supply the trap and tuna.

Marcia
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.