Me thinks, some dog walkers.....

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2021, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
Should consider walking barefoot in this heat, maybe then they will think twice when taking their pets for walks on hot asphalt. Please show your furry friends the unconditional love they give us.
I, in fact, do just exactly that when there is any question as to the temp of surface.

If I can walk on it, it's fine for dog. There have been times when we went right back in. The concrete drive was fine, the asphalt was not.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:07 AM

I hope none of us dog families here in TV ever have to look at the pads of their dog after they have been burned while out walking. I have only seen photos but it is horrendous! 😱🥵
I would post a photo if I knew how. Google it and see
Old 07-30-2021, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Maybe someone could come up with a set of "dog shoes". Maybe with velcro straps.
If only you couldn't just type in "dog booties velcro" on Google and come up with dozens of options.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I, in fact, do just exactly that when there is any question as to the temp of surface.

If I can walk on it, it's fine for dog. There have been times when we went right back in. The concrete drive was fine, the asphalt was not.
Why would you go right back in? Your dog needs exercise. You have options.

You can walk him on the grass.
You can drive him to the dog park.
You can buy your dog booties so he can safely walk on the asphalt.

The exact same options YOU have if YOU want to go for a walk. You can walk barefoot on the grass or in a park, or you can put on some shoes/sandals.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:50 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

[wouldn' it be difficult to surpass our Creator's doggie pad design ?
Old 07-30-2021, 12:52 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

temp of conc should've been higher than b-top
Old 07-30-2021, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
They can walk their dogs on the grass. No reason not to, except that the dog walkers don't want to hold the leash in their left hand while they're walking against traffic. God forbid a right-handed person think like a left handed person just once in awhile - their heads would explode.
Fire ants is the reason not to. I always walked my dog on the path in the early morning hours. Only let her in the grass to do her business.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bd0herty View Post
If ONLY they would walk facing traffic instead of in the middle of the road or land with their back to oncoming traffic.

SMH
Or move South of 44 where there are paths with no traffic
Old 07-31-2021, 06:31 AM

I make sure my girl walks on grass to protect her pads.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Why would you go right back in? Your dog needs exercise. You have options.

You can walk him on the grass.
You can drive him to the dog park.
You can buy your dog booties so he can safely walk on the asphalt.

The exact same options YOU have if YOU want to go for a walk. You can walk barefoot on the grass or in a park, or you can put on some shoes/sandals.
You don't know my dog. He gets a walk in the morning, a walk in the evening and during the mid-day, he's bored. He puts on this big show that he's simply going to die if I don't take him for a walk right now.

He just wants to go out and pee on stuff and be nosey and most of the time he doesn't even pee. He never "walks" like most dogs anyway. He just moseys down the way sniffing everything. If I let him, it'd take 20 minutes to go 100 yards. Ever see a dog sniff every leaf of a weed? Mine does it.

In the past, when I used to make him walk half a mile or more back north, we'd get to a spot and he'd just sit down. He's done. Seriously, I ended up carrying him back enough times that he taught me how far he's willing to walk and it's not far. This was as a PUPPY. He's a sniffer, not a walker. I guess if my legs were 6 inches long I might be the same way.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:04 AM

Joe C.- They do have dog shoes. We had them up North for the snow. When they would run around the backyard, they always came in with the shoes off! LOLI was in Disney last week and someone had a service dog with booties on. Although the booties were a good idea, I thought how horrible to bring an animal to the parks in the extreme heat. It was torture for me walking around!
Old 07-31-2021, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
You don't know my dog. He gets a walk in the morning, a walk in the evening and during the mid-day, he's bored. He puts on this big show that he's simply going to die if I don't take him for a walk right now.

He just wants to go out and pee on stuff and be nosey and most of the time he doesn't even pee. He never "walks" like most dogs anyway. He just moseys down the way sniffing everything. If I let him, it'd take 20 minutes to go 100 yards. Ever see a dog sniff every leaf of a weed? Mine does it.

In the past, when I used to make him walk half a mile or more back north, we'd get to a spot and he'd just sit down. He's done. Seriously, I ended up carrying him back enough times that he taught me how far he's willing to walk and it's not far. This was as a PUPPY. He's a sniffer, not a walker. I guess if my legs were 6 inches long I might be the same way.
What does one thing have to do with the other? If he wants to go out, velcro the booties to his feet and take him out. If he wants to sniff the leaves, even better. No booties necessary - he's already on the grass. The fact that you CAN take him to the dog park doesn't mean you MUST take him to the dog park. It's an option, for people who actually give a hoot about the safety and comfort of their allegedly beloved pet, when confronted with the prospects of said pooch's paws on hot asphalt.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
What does one thing have to do with the other? If he wants to go out, velcro the booties to his feet and take him out. If he wants to sniff the leaves, even better. No booties necessary - he's already on the grass. The fact that you CAN take him to the dog park doesn't mean you MUST take him to the dog park. It's an option, for people who actually give a hoot about the safety and comfort of their allegedly beloved pet, when confronted with the prospects of said pooch's paws on hot asphalt.
We tried booties for snow and road salt. He won't wear them.

As to why it matters, it's because you seem to think he's not getting enough exercise. He gets plenty.

As to dog parks, he goes berserk at black dogs. Why? When he was a young pup, several black dogs attacked him at a dog park. He was a 10lb Bichon Frise attacked by 75lb water buffalos of some sort or another.

You seem to think we're ignoring our boy. He normally gets 5-7 "walks" a day. Missing one when it's 92 degrees out is not going to harm him.

We can also let him do a bio break in the grass at our villa. No interest most of the time, he just wants to be nosey and sniff all the pee mail on the street.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
We tried booties for snow and road salt. He won't wear them.

As to why it matters, it's because you seem to think he's not getting enough exercise. He gets plenty.

As to dog parks, he goes berserk at black dogs. Why? When he was a young pup, several black dogs attacked him at a dog park. He was a 10lb Bichon Frise attacked by 75lb water buffalos of some sort or another.

You seem to think we're ignoring our boy. He normally gets 5-7 "walks" a day. Missing one when it's 92 degrees out is not going to harm him.

We can also let him do a bio break in the grass at our villa. No interest most of the time, he just wants to be nosey and sniff all the pee mail on the street.
You really are not understanding this thread at all. This thread is about the risk of hot asphalt to a dog's paws when their owner takes the dog for a walk, on hot asphalt.

The subject is: hot asphalt vs. a dog's paws

My post was to suggest options for people who have dogs that they walk, to prevent the hot asphalt from burning their paws because hot asphalt can burn a dog's paws.

Three options for people who walk their dogs, who don't want those paws to get burned:

have the dog walk on the grass instead of the hot asphalt
take him to the dog park instead of taking him for a walk on the hot asphalt
buy booties for the dog to wear when you take him for a walk on the hot asphalt.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You really are not understanding this thread at all. This thread is about the risk of hot asphalt to a dog's paws when their owner takes the dog for a walk, on hot asphalt.

The subject is: hot asphalt vs. a dog's paws

My post was to suggest options for people who have dogs that they walk, to prevent the hot asphalt from burning their paws because hot asphalt can burn a dog's paws.

Three options for people who walk their dogs, who don't want those paws to get burned:

have the dog walk on the grass instead of the hot asphalt
take him to the dog park instead of taking him for a walk on the hot asphalt
buy booties for the dog to wear when you take him for a walk on the hot asphalt.
I understand exactly what it is about. I also told you we turn around when it's super hot then you're intimating that somehow missing a walk when it's 90+ is somehow going to harm our dog.

Yes, there are options. Most of time, the best option is to take the dog out when it's cool. I wouldn't want to be outside wearing a fur coat either.

Ours gets outside a lot, goes on a lot of cart rides with us when we can, goes to Home depot but I carry him in first when the pavement is too hot.

He's now at my ear sighing because he wants to go to bed and I'm not in there yet, so I'm bowing to his will. Guten Abend.
Closed Thread

Tags
walks, hot, asphalt, show, furry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.