Moving with 2 dogs who are used to a yard

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2022, 08:55 AM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Default Move w/dogs

I understand ur concerns as we had the same. So look for homes w/fencing.
More likely to find them in villages south of 44. Cottage homes, Courtyards villas are usually fenced but other homes styles also have fences.

We looked at homes facing water & preserves but they have wrought iron fences that have about 4 inches bw bars, thereby allowing critters & snakes to come into yards. U'd have to line the back fence w/some type of metal to deter critters.

There's more availability of fenced homes in the last 2-3 years for families w/dogs suite of Route 44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
We are considering a move to the Villages. Currently staying here for a few days looking at property. We know there is a limited amount of housing with fenced yards in what we are looking at. We are considering something without the fenced yard but not sure how our 2 dogs will like it. They are on the small side 16 lbs each but are used to being just let out to do their thing. We do walk them on occasion but that is not the norm. Anyone make the move to the Villages with this issue.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Freeman View Post
Why not get an invisible fence? Solves all the problems.
An invisible fence for a small dog doesn't solve anything. Predators can get to the dog.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Read Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavita View Post
Invisible fence is great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Freeman View Post
Why not get an invisible fence? Solves all the problems.
Boo-boo, Hiss-hiss to both of your comments!
While there are those who like an invisible fence, there are far more reasons not to have one.

You obviously have not read prior comments. Refer to one that I made -- Comment #64. What I stated are realistic reasons NOT to have one.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:24 PM
Default Fenced yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
We are considering a move to the Villages. Currently staying here for a few days looking at property. We know there is a limited amount of housing with fenced yards in what we are looking at. We are considering something without the fenced yard but not sure how our 2 dogs will like it. They are on the small side 16 lbs each but are used to being just let out to do their thing. We do walk them on occasion but that is not the norm. Anyone make the move to the Villages with this issue.
My life is easier because of my fenced yard. I have a small dog and got her as a puppy. The yard is handy early morning and late at night. We also go to a dog park and I walk her. I had to search for a courtyard villa with grass but they are available and work great. I can see it well from inside but usually am in the yard with her. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:02 PM
Default Yards

Check out courtyard villas - there are plenty to be had - corner properties are best with the biggest back yards
Old 08-14-2022, 07:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We have a CYV which works well. Easy to let them in and out. There were many reasons we bought a CYV, the fenced in yard was just one of them.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:44 AM

Thank you for your comments and sanity
Old 08-15-2022, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Invisible Fence retort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with you; an electric fence is NOT the answer.

We also had an electric fence. Hated it! If your dog is a jumper like ours, she was able to jump above the point where the signal would emit the charge -- higher than where the electronic fence would work/shock. Also, the electronic collar is a pain in the you-know-what! It is bulky and you absolutely should not leave it on your dog all the time which means you have to put it on them each and every time they need or want to go out.

Lastly, any critter can still enter your yard, i.e., a coyote, alligator, or other nasty critters and even someone who wants to steal your dog.
Disagree with the above. It is true that old style base level Invisible fences could be easily breached, and once the dog was out he / she could stay out. HOWEVER, the newer models from Invisible Fence broadcast out much further, so if FIDO decides to breach he will quickly come running back into his yard. Both my neighbor and I have them installed at our respctive properties and both have very independent minded medium to large dogs. After one training session and a month of keeping the flags up, neither of us havehad anything close to a breach. And they have been teased by humans and dogs and water birds to go off property. At night we light the yard up like a baseball field so we can see where FIDO is going. The gators don;t read the KEEP OUT signs, but they also dont like the bright lights and have never come close to the property.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:14 PM

We back up to a preserve in Hawkins that has a metal fence along the back. I hook up a 50 foot lead to the fence so my dog has some room to roam but she stays on my property and it works out well. My dog is about 75 pounds so I'm not too worried about predators but I always go out with her at night just to be sure. I would think if you have an open yard you could tie a lead down to a corkscrew stake that is made for dog leads.
Closed Thread

Tags
fenced, villages, move, yard, dogs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.