Moving the kitties

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Default Kitties travel well

We made the trip from Pa to Fl and back 2 times this past year with 2 cats. The first time I was worried how it would go for them, but I quickly found out they travel well. They are not interested in eating, drinking or using the litter box while in the van in a cage. I keep the cage covered with a small blanket and this keeps them calm and they sleep the whole time...about 9 hours a day. When we stop at a motel for the night, they are happy to roam the room, eat, drink and use the litter box. The next day we repeat the same to arrive in the Villages by mid afternoon and we are all happy to be there. I never use any kind of drugs or sprays to calm them. They are both oriental shorthairs, which are very vocal, but it only takes them about 15 minutes to settle and fall asleep.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Sage
Default Tangential Hi-jack warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I am so impressed with the love and care you guys have for your pets. AJBrown, your little condo is a hoot and very clever, the cats are beautiful as well. Don't you have a platform for Caly on the back of your cart? <OP shortened by Alan>
Thank you for the clever compliment. There is a fine line between clever and cheap hack

The platform for Caly was given to someone in The Villages through TOTV. It only fits a Par Car and I sold that. I never heard if she used it. Here is a picture of that Caly platform:

The Villages Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
20 years old??? Dang, what's that, like 150 in people years?
Cricket the cat IS old no matter how you measure it. Still healthy (vet yesterday), still eats a lot, but literally a bag of bones.

Last edited by ajbrown; 08-07-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Clarify who is 20
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=ajbrown;721236]Thank you for the clever compliment. There is a fine line between clever and cheap hack /QUOTE]

This definition says it all....

clev·er

Adjective
1.Quick to understand, learn, and devise or apply ideas; intelligent.
2.Skilled at doing or achieving something; talented: "she is clever with her hands".

Synonyms
smart - shrewd - intelligent - skillful - skilful

Caly has no intention of leaving, she has it too good at home.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Thank you everyone for all the clever ideas. We are looking for a used dog carrier on Craigs list for our two cats and will be using lots of your ideas especially about not giving them too much food or water. We don't know how they will do because the only time we've taken them in the car is to go to the vet. So we will try some practice runs.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I have to tell. In 1970, we embarked on a Westinghouse training program which involved moving once a month for seven months. We had two Siamese cats (boys) and a used Chevy Caprice which broke down once a month without fail.

As I said earlier, the cats traveled in a dog carrier and made all the trips fine. Well. There was that one time... PEE-EWW!!!!!!! But that was only once, and they wouldn't tell on each other.

At the end of the training program, with the Caprice really going down the drain, we were forced to trade it in for a new car. Sentimental couple that we are, we loaded the cats into the backseat (free from carrier) for a "last ride" before trading the car in. They both hurled all over the place.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.