Must my dog be on a leash when outside with us in our yard? Or only when walking?

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2021, 01:26 PM
Default Must my dog be on a leash when outside with us in our yard? Or only when walking?

Do I need to have my dog on a leash when we are out working on the yard or just when we leave our property? Someone told me today that he is supposed to be on a leash when i was out watering my plants today. I cannot find the proper ordinance to answer this.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielder View Post
Do I need to have my dog on a leash when we are out working on the yard or just when we leave our property? Someone told me today that he is supposed to be on a leash when i was out watering my plants today. I cannot find the proper ordinance to answer this.
wow, interesting someone would say anything to you when you are on your property. I can't answer you with the ordinance, but, the only thing is I would probably do a leash even on your property due to other animals could attack your fur baby. Coyotes, Hawkes, eagles, gators, more preditors than you think. I remember a post about a woman, didn't leash her fur baby due to early walking of her dog, 5:00 am and no one was up. however, she got the neighbors newspaper and brought it to their front door, and her dog was grabbed by a coyote and gone in a flash. Not the coyote's fault what do they know, its feeding time. Just want to add, most of my neighbors, don't leash their dog, when outside with them as they walk or tinker on their property.

Last edited by Rose Ann Vinci Igoe; 11-14-2021 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2021, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Here is the ordinance...

Municode Library
Old 11-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,273 Times in 4,295 Posts

Well, the people who used to own our home supposedly had two larger dogs that would take off and chase bike riders, and in at least one instance, biting one of the neighbors... So, it's important to be able to control your pet...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-14-2021, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here is the ordinance...

Municode Library

there was a sign over the court house in the city that we once lived in "Obedience to Law is Liberty"
Old 11-14-2021, 04:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Short answer is your dog doesn’t have to be on a leash while in your yard.

We have an invisible fence, which is effective in keeping our dog in our yard. Note that if your dog leaves your yard, you’re in violation. Also, as noted above, you want to be outside with it in case a wild animal tries to take off with it.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

The rules listed are for Sumter County and very involved to see/find a leash law. Sounds like as long as your dog will not leave your yard then a leash is not needed but if the dog tends to chase people or roam then a leash is needed.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:15 PM

Your property means your rules.
Off your property better have on leash.
You are always liable for your pets actions
Old 11-14-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here is the ordinance...

Municode Library
Thank you for posting this. Found “Sec. 4-7. - Public nuisance animals” very enlightening. We have a neighbor that lets their dog just continuously bark on their lanai most morning when we are trying to have a peaceful breakfast on our lanai. They will occasionally scream “hush” but then just let it keep barking. Time to start documenting these occurrences.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:19 PM

Just depends what type of dog you have and if it attacks other dogs or ignores them. I had a shiba inu that is not normally off leash, but I trained him to stay with me and he ignored other dogs and squirrels and birds. He knew the squirrels were too fast for him anyway. Some people are afraid of dogs too.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,050 Times in 2,740 Posts

It’s your yard, you can do what you want as long as your dog is properly trained to stay on the property. And shocking your dog when it gets to your property line is NOT properly training it.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It’s your yard, you can do what you want as long as your dog is properly trained to stay on the property. And shocking your dog when it gets to your property line is NOT properly training it.
It only happened once. :-|
Old 11-15-2021, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Thank you for posting this. Found “Sec. 4-7. - Public nuisance animals” very enlightening. We have a neighbor that lets their dog just continuously bark on their lanai most morning when we are trying to have a peaceful breakfast on our lanai. They will occasionally scream “hush” but then just let it keep barking. Time to start documenting these occurrences.
Most? Breakfast? I doubt that’s going get anything done?
Old 11-15-2021, 05:39 AM

One fleeting moment, passing dog barking, unaware car with animal, wild critter and your fur baby would be gone forever, not worth risk.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:55 AM
Default Details on invisible fence? From where? What was theost? Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Short answer is your dog doesn’t have to be on a leash while in your yard.

We have an invisible fence, which is effective in keeping our dog in our yard. Note that if your dog leaves your yard, you’re in violation. Also, as noted above, you want to be outside with it in case a wild animal tries to take off with it.
Can I get details on invisible fence? From where? What was the approximate cost? Thanks!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
leash, today, yard, dog, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.