Must my dog be on a leash when outside with us in our yard? Or only when walking?

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
Can I get details on invisible fence? From where? What was the approximate cost? Thanks!!!!
Invisible fence is great keeping your critter IN, but not great for keeping WILD critters OUT.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:02 AM

We have two boxers. They are always on a leash! When I take them for a walk we encounter unleashed dogs that run from their own yard and come after my dog. It’s very scary. I have one dig who doesn’t react at all. My other dog has a lot of fear (rescue) because of this, his walks are minimal. But yea, one walk around my block with my dog, and I can encounter at least 3 off leash dogs that come after us.

Even to take a quick pee, we harness and leash both our dogs and walk them in our yard. It’s just not worth the chance to have anything go wrong.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:08 AM

You may want to call the sales center for documentation rather than depend on info from this site?
Old 11-15-2021, 06:38 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
You may want to call the sales center for documentation rather than depend on info from this site?
They're not always as informed as a lot of the people on this site...
Old 11-15-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielder View Post
Do I need to have my dog on a leash when we are out working on the yard or just when we leave our property? Someone told me today that he is supposed to be on a leash when i was out watering my plants today. I cannot find the proper ordinance to answer this.
I have a thing about unleashed dogs even on their own property. I love dogs, but I have a dog who gets very excited when he sees another dog. He gets hard to control. I do not know if he would bite as he has not yet. I walk him on a leash. A couple of times, unleashed dogs had ran up to him and all hell broke loose. No dog was hurt, but gave me quite a scare. One time three dogs came up to him at once.

Also, I remember walking alone, and this German Shepard starting jumping on me. The owner said he was friendly but that can still give a person a heart attack. Some people are afraid of dogs.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

It depends on whether you want to be on Judge Judy’s TV show.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Thank you for posting this. Found “Sec. 4-7. - Public nuisance animals” very enlightening. We have a neighbor that lets their dog just continuously bark on their lanai most morning when we are trying to have a peaceful breakfast on our lanai. They will occasionally scream “hush” but then just let it keep barking. Time to start documenting these occurrences.
Offer to buy their dog a bark collar, they do work.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:20 AM
Default Invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
Can I get details on invisible fence? From where? What was the approximate cost? Thanks!!!!
Sold by invisible man who live in that invisible house down the block….
Old 11-15-2021, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
I have a thing about unleashed dogs even on their own property. I love dogs, but I have a dog who gets very excited when he sees another dog. He gets hard to control. I do not know if he would bite as he has not yet. I walk him on a leash. A couple of times, unleashed dogs had ran up to him and all hell broke loose. No dog was hurt, but gave me quite a scare. One time three dogs came up to him at once.

Also, I remember walking alone, and this German Shepard starting jumping on me. The owner said he was friendly but that can still give a person a heart attack. Some people are afraid of dogs.
We have a gentleman in our neighborhood who walks his dog unleashed. The dog is extremely well-behaved and is trained to stick close to her master, and probably tips the scales at maybe four pounds so the "danger" level is pretty low. But were I him I'd be worried about the traffic, especially the golf carts. Texting while piloting your cart is not unknown in this village.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:51 AM

I was told for small dogs an invisible fence is a problem. Big dogs abd animals can get on and they can’t get away from them. Just a thought.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:52 AM

Sumter County Leash Law.

sumtercounty-fl.elaws.us/code/coor_ch4_sec4-4
Direct control shall mean immediate and continuous physical control of an animal at all times such as by means of a fence, leash, cord, or chain of sufficient strength to restrain the animal;

Typical for most counties nationwide.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
We have a gentleman in our neighborhood who walks his dog unleashed. The dog is extremely well-behaved and is trained to stick close to her master, and probably tips the scales at maybe four pounds so the "danger" level is pretty low. But were I him I'd be worried about the traffic, especially the golf carts. Texting while piloting your cart is not unknown in this village.
Can't wait read about a Coyote, or Bobcat or Owl or Eagle carrying his dog off for breakfast...... a leash is the only thing that can keep that from happening.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:12 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Short answer is your dog doesn’t have to be on a leash while in your yard.

We have an invisible fence, which is effective in keeping our dog in our yard. Note that if your dog leaves your yard, you’re in violation. Also, as noted above, you want to be outside with it in case a wild animal tries to take off with it.
Best recognized containment system there is. We've always used one even though with is arthritis he can't chase anything anymore anyways. We are always outside with our dog when he is out as well.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
The rules listed are for Sumter County and very involved to see/find a leash law. Sounds like as long as your dog will not leave your yard then a leash is not needed but if the dog tends to chase people or roam then a leash is needed.
Direct control shall mean immediate and continuous physical control of an animal at all times such as by means of a fence, leash, cord, or chain of sufficient strength to restrain the animal; or in the case of specifically trained working, agricultural or hunting animals which immediately respond to such commands, while working; direct control shall also include aural or oral control, if the controlling person is at all times clearly and fully within the unobstructed sight and hearing of the animal.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:45 AM

If your home is within Lady Lake town limits you can let the dog off leash in your yard but you must have control of the dog. A leash is required outside of your property.
Closed Thread

Tags
leash, today, yard, dog, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.