Must my dog be on a leash when outside with us in our yard? Or only when walking?

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Also, I remember walking alone, and this German Shepard starting jumping on me. The owner said he was friendly but that can still give a person a heart attack. Some people are afraid of dogs.
This is an important point and deserves repeating.

YOU know that YOUR dog is friendly. The person your dog is barreling towards does not. I've seen Pit Bulls happily wave their tails as they ran to (and torn into) other dogs.

It is also just good manners to train your dog not to jump on people. I've had friendly dogs put their dirty paws on my uniform pants and squad car door.

Last edited by spd2918; 11-15-2021 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Fat finger misspellings
Old 11-15-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielder View Post
Do I need to have my dog on a leash when we are out working on the yard or just when we leave our property? Someone told me today that he is supposed to be on a leash when i was out watering my plants today. I cannot find the proper ordinance to answer this.
glad you brought this up as I am having this issue in my neighborhood. I encounter stories all the time of dogs in yards unleashed and passerby dogs & owners getting attacked. There are leash laws but they do not apply to private property, so can you do this, yes, should you, NO! without a fence or leash, your dog is not under your control 100% thereby placing them and anyone close by at risk, is that being a good respectful neighbor? NO IT ISN'T. Some people are afraid of dogs, imagine if they just want to take a walk? I am shocked to see this happening here in "the Friendliest town" and when one person does it, other dog owners follow suit creating an unsafe and unfortunate situation for anyone walking their dogs thru the neighborhood.

case in point: My two neighbors have off leash dogs running around with them in front of their homes, I come out one morning and begin walking my dog down the street. two of the little ones see us and begin chasing after us as their owner "screams" to retrieve them, is this OK with everyone? my lovely quiet relaxing Sunday morning was shot to hell, I have since purchased Dog defense items to carry. I lived in a big city and never had to carry these items but I do here... something is wrong with this picture.....
Old 11-15-2021, 08:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Many people think an invisible underground wireless electric fence is the best way to keep their dog in their yard. However, they are simply not as effective as you might think. Statistics suggest that invisible wireless electric fences are only about 70% effective.

Why invisible fences, just don’t work. | Pet Playgrounds DIY Dog Fence Kits
Old 11-15-2021, 09:26 AM
Default Dog on Leash

The paragraph below is directly from the Deed restrictions for the area I live in, I think this language is in all deed restrictions so you are required to keep your dog on a leash in your yard. I have personally had an incident recently when walking down a street where two dogs came out of a yard across the street looking friendly. When they got close, they started growling and circling. I yelled at the owner who was on her phone, she softly called them back, they finally went to her. I like dogs, but you cannot predict how an animal will respond to a stranger. Keep your dog on a leash even in your yard, it is just a courteous thing to do with houses so close together. Even though your neighbors seem to not care when your dog runs to them, not everyone wants to pet your animal every time they walk outside.
From deed restrictions:
Birds, fish, dogs and cats shall be permitted, with a maximum of two (2) pets per Homesite. Each Owner shall be personally responsible for any damage caused to dedicated or reserved areas by any such pet and shall be responsible to immediately remove and dispose of any excrement of such pet and shall be responsible to keep
such pet on a leash. No other animals, livestock, or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on any Hornesite or on dedicated or reserved areas.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielder View Post
Do I need to have my dog on a leash when we are out working on the yard or just when we leave our property? Someone told me today that he is supposed to be on a leash when i was out watering my plants today. I cannot find the proper ordinance to answer this.
Yes, check the laws, also will help you in a lawsuit if your dog snaps at soneone
Old 11-15-2021, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
Can I get details on invisible fence? From where? What was the approximate cost? Thanks!!!!
Go to lazypetownerswhodontwanttoproperlytraintheirdogs.c om.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It’s your yard, you can do what you want as long as your dog is properly trained to stay on the property. And shocking your dog when it gets to your property line is NOT properly training it.
Just for the record, the "invisible fence" is not perfect. I was the victim of a lab that, in the excitement of chasing birds, ran right through the shock area then couldn't get back in, so went roaming the neighborhood.
Also, person's afraid of or untrusting of dogs can see no evidence that the dog is under any constraint can feel threatened if the dog comes at them.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

99.999% of the time, people don't think their dog will bit.

99.999% of the time, actors don't think the gun is loaded.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Sage
Default Agree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
I have a thing about unleashed dogs even on their own property. I love dogs, but I have a dog who gets very excited when he sees another dog. He gets hard to control. I do not know if he would bite as he has not yet. I walk him on a leash. A couple of times, unleashed dogs had ran up to him and all hell broke loose. No dog was hurt, but gave me quite a scare. One time three dogs came up to him at once.

Also, I remember walking alone, and this German Shepard starting jumping on me. The owner said he was friendly but that can still give a person a heart attack. Some people are afraid of dogs.
Even friendly dogs can cause emotional distress or injury. Owners should never allow pets to approach folks they don't know, even to say"hello".
Old 11-15-2021, 10:28 AM

I notice that many folk think it is OK to allow your dog off leash while you are outside working in yard. If you have your dog out, why not have it on a long line? Gives it freedom of movement but allows you control. Even before moving here a long line was just as important as having a leash. Now, in a CYV, long line is used while I am working in front yard. I try to be a good neighbor.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
99.999% of the time, people don't think their dog will bite.
I feel the same way about people...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-15-2021, 11:17 AM
Default Pee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanC View Post
We have two boxers. They are always on a leash! When I take them for a walk we encounter unleashed dogs that run from their own yard and come after my dog. It’s very scary. I have one dig who doesn’t react at all. My other dog has a lot of fear (rescue) because of this, his walks are minimal. But yea, one walk around my block with my dog, and I can encounter at least 3 off leash dogs that come after us.

Even to take a quick pee, we harness and leash both our dogs and walk them in our yard. It’s just not worth the chance to have anything go wrong.
A little off subject, but does dog pee kill the type of grass used in TV? In Virginia, it caused brown spots on the lawn. Here it seems like a type of crab grass.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2021, 11:32 AM
Sage
Default Here we go, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
A little off subject, but does dog pee kill the type of grass used in TV? In Virginia, it caused brown spots on the lawn. Here it seems like a type of crab grass.
Thanks
Some will say "no" while others say "yes". The "no" folks are typically dog owners who take their dogs walking to other homes to pee. The "yes" folks have yards with dog pee brown spots in their grass. My opinion, as a dog lover and former owner is "yes". Go by your own experience.
Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:34 AM
Default Invisible Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
Can I get details on invisible fence? From where? What was the approximate cost? Thanks!!!!
Invisible Fence
ocala.invisiblefence.com
Phone 352 351 1055 Territory Manager Donnie Ray, his phone # is 352 804-3393.
Three of us all have the invisible fence. None of us have any issues.

Price depends on if you only want the front yard protected, or the back yard only or 2 loopes. We've had ours for over 6 years so I'm sure the pricing is way outdated. Not inexpensive, but lots of peace of mind. They spend as much time as it is required to train you....and your pet. They install, verify all is working well.

Linda
Old 11-15-2021, 12:37 PM

Keep in mind, invisible fence may prevent your dog from leaving your property however, it does not prevent a predator from attacking your dog. Invisible fence may put your dog at a disadvantage and prevent your dog from fleeing. I keep my dog on a leash whenever we are outside. IMHO, it is just not worth the risk.
Closed Thread

Tags
leash, today, yard, dog, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.