My little poodle has a torn ACL please HELP

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Default My little poodle has a torn ACL please HELP

Our toy poodle was ostensibly diagnosed with a torn ACL for us know if your pet has encountered such a diagnosis and if so, where in TV you had him/her treated. Our little one is 12 and we're not convinced of the diagnosis as two vets in the same office had a difference of opinion. Thank you for your comments in advance. We are not only concerned about the cost of the surgery, but also about whether she may have joint arthritis and therefore surgery would not be of any benefit to her and she would suffer for nothing.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:22 PM

Don't know who your vet is, but Dr. Jason sexton at Buffalo Ridge off of 466 Is totally reliable. I have been taking my furbabies to him for 14 years and I trust him implicitly. Good luck I hope your furbaby gets well soon it must be painful.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:16 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Paws in Laurel Manor.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I had a dog that tore his ACL sheep herding. He was about 10 and I opted for the surgery. He had a complete recovery and was able to run agility, herd and lure course. The surgery was in NJ. A dog that I currentley own needed spinal surgery. I opted to use a private vet group in Gainesville. I took her 1st to Buffalo Ridge who diagnosed the problem and referred her to Gainesville. The orthopedic surgeon was excellent. His name is Dr. Eric Herman.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Our Lab tore her ACL at about 2 years old. We were told we could either get "TPLO Surgery" and she would be good as new after recovery, or leave it alone and she would probably have bad arthritis issues (and probably chronic pain) as she got older. Since she was only 2, we had the surgery done. It was somewhat expensive but it was the recovery period that concerned me. The surgery went well but after that she had to be as contained as possible for 12 weeks. In the early part of that period, we had take her out of the house and support the back part of her body going up and down steps, keep her on leash and come right back in after her business was done and keep her as still as possible until time to go out again. We had a 1.25 acre yard with invisible fence where she was used to just going out the door on her own and come back to the door when she was ready to come back inside, so staying confined to a small area indoors and only going out on leash was difficult for her. It was a long 12 weeks but we got through it and her leg was as good as new when everything healed and she got her mobility back. This was all prior to us moving to TV, so I don't have any surgeons to recommend to you unfortunately.

I'm not sure I would put a 12 year old dog through that unless the vet said the dog would be in constant pain otherwise. We have a 13 year old miniature poodle who lives with Addisons disease, diabetes, was virtually blinded by cataracts as a result of the diabetes, went through cataract surgery, only to be virtually blind again a year later. Through all that she gets along well, but if she were to tear her ACL at her age and after all she has been through, I would not opt for surgery unless the vet said she would suffer pain without it.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:19 PM

This happened to our little Chihuahua. Buffalo Ridge at Pinellas Plaza told us we would have to take her to Gainsville for the surgery and it would cost approx
4K...I was shocked. So I searched around and found Dr. Tina Merritt at Animal Clinic of Lady Lake. I believe it cost us a little over 1K. She is caring and the operation was a success. Phone # 352-753-5333.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We were once told our Chocolate lab Bailey had a torn ACL. That's really weird because he's the furthest thing to being an athlete.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. It is difficult to make a decision due to the age of our little poodle. We lost her brother last October due to lymphoma, for which he underwent chemotherapy. Ever since, I have wondered whether I would do that again, as the poor little guy really suffered with the side effects. We didn't know we'd have to make another medical decision so soon and we want to make the right one. She is such a sweetie and we want to do the best for her.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyoung View Post
This happened to our little Chihuahua. Buffalo Ridge at Pinellas Plaza told us we would have to take her to Gainsville for the surgery and it would cost approx
4K...I was shocked. So I searched around and found Dr. Tina Merritt at Animal Clinic of Lady Lake. I believe it cost us a little over 1K. She is caring and the operation was a success. Phone # 352-753-5333.
Thank you so much.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:46 PM

We had a not-as-aged-as-yours puppy have a medical issue. My heart goes out to to you and your family (including your pup).

Although the situations are always different, I can offer my opinion: QUALITY of life. Please take this into account when thinking about what you will do for him (or her). Although it is tough, you will go on, however for your dog, think of what is best for them.

In our case we opted to NOT do extensive (and painful) life extending procedures done. Rather, we did everything we could to make our family member (the dog) as comfortable as long as possible.

In our case the procedure would have only added a projected 6-months. As it turned out, we got that much time making the little guy comfortable. I have to believe that we did the right thing in our case. It all still brings a tear to my eye to think about Max and to think about how good he was.

All the best to you and your puppy.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our grand dog just had liver resection at 6. First vet wanted $8000.00. She was referred by website for bulldogs to try a vet 2 hours away, that have many happy patients and fur parents.

4 hour surgery, 4 units of blood, and 31 staples. She is doing well. Total cost $1600.00 including boarding. Make sure you do your research and that the vet is taking the age into consideration. It’s not a surgery you need to rush into. Good Luck
Old 08-13-2018, 03:09 PM

My dog has TPLO at Univ of GA for $3600 in 2016. It is going price. I doubt that you can get TPLO for $1000.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimao View Post
My dog has TPLO at Univ of GA for $3600 in 2016. It is going price. I doubt that you can get TPLO for $1000.
It can vary greatly. We were told that was the going rate too and it was pointless to look around because it would be about the same everywhere. In NC, I was told I could try to get into NC State University veterinary school and the cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of what you paid at UGA. So, it's a university and, no doubt, students would probably be performing the surgery while being supervised by someone who should be doing it at that cost. We looked around and asked around and found a veterinary surgery group that actually specializes in the surgery and travels around the state performing the surgery several days a week. Very good reputation and track record. The cost was under $2000 to have it done at a vet hospital about an hour away from us, including the mandatory overnight boarding. We couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome and the level of care. We did not ask for updates, just dropped the dog off and waited for a call to tell us when we could go pick her up. Still, they called us to let us know how things were going as she was being prepped for surgery, they called us during the surgery to let us know how things were going, they called again after to let us know how things went, and then they called us after she woke up from anesthesia to let us know how she was doing. We felt like they treated our dog as if she were their own. They have a great website if someone is interested in checking them out - link below (don't know why it says "Home").

Home
Closed Thread

Tags
torn, diagnosis, poodle, surgery, acl

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.