Need Feedback about Doggy Doors!

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Default Need Feedback about Doggy Doors!

We're getting ready to move into a Begonia model home, and I'm completely stumped about where to put the cat litter box! There's no place in the laundry room, and I REALLY don't want it in the house. Does anyone have any experience with inserting "doggy" doors that lead out to the lanai? They make inserts for sliding glass doors, but those are only for the kind that slide one way (rather than doors that meet in the middle). Cutting a hole in the wall seems pretty aggressive, but it's all we can think of at this point. I'm desperate for suggestions based on what others have done!
Old 03-02-2019, 06:16 PM

We put one in for our dog.. Se looks it and so do we.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

We have a Gardenia, very similar to Begonia, and we have a removable kitty door in the center between the sliders, we just take it out when we leave.

As for the litter box, I am guessing you have the cabinet in the laundry room, we specified a laundry sink (no cabinet, and the litter box sits very well under it. I have relatives that have the litter box inside their cabinet with a hole cut in the side of the cabinet for kitty to get in and out. If the cabinet is right up against the washer (or dryer), then you could remove the doors and hang decorative curtains in front for kitty to go through.

As for installing kitty door in the wall, first, make sure the hole will be inside the lanai and NOT to the outside. Our house is concrete block, and I have found the block to be filled with concrete is several locations, so going though the wall, may include 8 to10 inches of concrete. Be sure to avoid the opening where the sliders go as you may not have clearance between the slider and the kitty door trim.

Hope this helps, send me a PM if you want to see our installation.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM

This is REALLY helpful! Thank you so much! I'm in Virginia, now, so I can't look in the cabinet under the sink right now to see if there's enough room to put a litter box (I seem to remember thinking the space would be too small). Yes, I would like to see what you've done if you don't mind....would love to see how it works -- either in person or via a photo. May I also ask what brand/type you have? I'll send you a PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

We put out litter box in the garage and put a doggie door in. Also had the insert for the sliding glass door. I have the insert for sale if you need one.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Default Dogie Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
We put one in for our dog.. Se looks it and so do we.
The best thing we ever did for her. She loves it and so do we. Some evenings she runs in and out 10 or more times. So fun to watch
Old 03-07-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD215 View Post
We put out litter box in the garage and put a doggie door in. Also had the insert for the sliding glass door. I have the insert for sale if you need one.
We were going to do that but realized very soon that we would have no idea if kitty was in the garage when we opened the garage door, which would allow her to escape, so we kept the litter box inside for her safety.

Tags
doors, doggy, middle, hole, cutting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.