Liver Cancer in dogs

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Dancing Thyme
Default Liver Cancer in dogs

Horrible title, huh, but very good results.

I wanted to share with my friends on the forum that hearing this news from your vet and you would think it was a death sentence for your beloved animal. But, that is not the case all the time.

Last month, my little Sam (6 year old Schnauzer) was diagnosed with a non-functioning liver. Had taken him in to get his teeth cleaned and the blood work up showed this problem. After a few tests, and MANY tears, my vet, Dr. Manganaro (Park Heights Vets) associated with Dr. Valdez, advised I go to the Vet Hospital in Gainesville. Again, more tests and it was confirmed he had liver cancer. The doctors up there were so knowledgeable and had so much information for me that I was able to make a well educated decision to give him the surgery to remove the liver lobe where the cancer was located. During the surgery they did an evaluation of the rest of the liver and the other organs around there and felt that they had removed 100% of the cancer and there was no need for any chemo or radiation. yayyyyy!!

Dr. Manganaro was with me all the way, giving me advice and her opinion, which was much appreciated. Sam had the surgery and was in the hospital for a few days to keep him still and monitored for any problems.

Today, I am happy to say he is 100% running around with his crazy sister, Maggie Mae, and acting like a better-than-normal, 6 year old dog would act.

I highly recommend the Vet Hospital in Gainesville for any kinda of serious disorder your animal might have. Everyone in there is so nice, highly qualified and sensitive to you and your animal. But, like all teaching hospitals, it takes a little longer when you are there because they are teaching and reviewing the case, but it is well worth it!!

Just sharing as an FYI.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile

Kathie this is thrilling news. When I read the topic and saw your name I was holding my breath. But it was good news indeed. Dogs have such an amazing spirit and bounce back. What a blessing that you decided to have Sam's teeth cleaned and that we have such an amazing facility close by. Life is good.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Veteran member

So pleased to read this has a happy ending! Thank you for the information about the Gainesville Vet Hospital. It seems all the good hospitals are in Gainesville - the ones for people, too! Congrats.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Default Whew.

I am finally able to exhale! What a fright that was for you all. Talk about nerves of steel. I am thrilled fr you especially in light of the diagnosis going in. Hip Hip, HOORAY!
My tail ia-a-waggin' and Bandit is doing laps for you!!!
If you need any help with dogsitting, I am readily available and can and will do any and all treatments on your handsome fella. Don't be creeped out. I simply would offer my help in that manner. I know sometimes it is hard to do some things to your own pet.
All the best. Roni
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Our last dog (Candy) died at 15/1/2 almost 10 years ago. She died of natural causes which was a great way for a pet to go. Our previous dog (Rocky) should have been put "down" long before we finally made the right decision. We made a decision to get out of the "pet business" and travel and spend more time on other "things" in our retirement. Over the course of time, spent a small fortune on pets.

I remember what my Dad said about having his brother take "Roscoe" out in the woods and shoot him when he got sick and couldn't hunt anymore. My dad said he couldn't do it as he loved the dog so much. His brother got the job done. Sometimes we think "times are tough" now, those days were really tough times! How things have changed. For the better? Sometimes I wonder, pet owners don't take offense, but some seem to care more about their pets than they do their children or grand children.

Sure glad your dog is better and that we had the "means" to get our pets treated. Sounds like you found the right Vet. However, we are still glad to be out of the "pet business." The first year was the hardest but we found there is "life" after the pets. The Vets miss seeing us but they get over it pretty quick with new customers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.