Suggestions for invisible fence to contain our dog

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Default Suggestions for invisible fence to contain our dog

We have a curious 18lbs french bulldog "puppy" who is not used to such a small backyard. Any suggestions for a invisible/electric fence containment system that is allowed by the HOA and obviously won't harm our dog? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:21 PM

Get Dog Watch. They are great!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 PM
Sage

Just curious...do you want to leave your dog out unattended?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theparkerhouse View Post
We have a curious 18lbs french bulldog "puppy" who is not used to such a small backyard. Any suggestions for a invisible/electric fence containment system that is allowed by the HOA and obviously won't harm our dog? Thanks!
Contact Invisible Fence. I don't have the number readily available but I can get it. The local manager will come out and give you the details. We used them up north and set it up when we moved here. Since no leash or other containment system is perfect our dog is only outside in my prescence.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Veteran member

Dog Watch! We've been with them since 2012. Great experience so far.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:54 AM

We’ve had Invisable Fence since 1995. 2 homes in The Villages love it.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Invisible fence

Had the invisible fence at a previous house and it worked great
Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

We had Invisible Fence up north, and talked to both them and Dog Watch when we moved here, and went with dog Watch. Our lab was trained on it, and won’t leave the yard, even when chasing a squirrel. No, we don’t leave her alone outside, but it eliminates having to chase her down. We go out with her. If trained properly, it is very effective.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Platinum member

I can't help with an electric fence, but have an 18 month old puppy that is a escape artist. An, oh so fast. I bought a Whistle GPS tracker that will give her location anyplace in the country. Yesterday was the first time I used it, and she was pin pointed around the corner and down the street.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
...trained on it, and won’t leave the yard, even when chasing a squirrel. No, we don’t leave her alone outside, but it eliminates having to chase her down. We go out with her. If trained properly, it is very effective.
Exactly my results...

Except we don't have an electric fence...just training. I'm not trying to sound like a smart-aleck or anything. Electric fences are a viable option. But the same results can be obtained with training...as long as you set very specific boundaries and enforce with absolute consistency.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I suspect we’re not as good trainers as you, Polar Bear, as our lab is strong willed and sits, stays, comes, etc., “if she feels like it,” or if I speak *very* sternly to her.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Putting you dog in camo my help
Old 09-26-2018, 06:20 PM

thanks all for the info. have contacted dogwatch today, but they have not called me back. no we don't intentionally leave our pet out of doors unattended. she is supervised at all times, just need the ability to "roam" or stretch her legs a bit. sometimes she likes to sun herself. thanks again.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:24 PM

I was glad to see this thread on the forums..Right now We leave our dog outside when ever we’ll be gone for more than a few hours..behind a Vinyl fence...and we would plan to have a doggy door and electric fence at the Villages when we move there..so she can go in & out when she has to “go”....what’s the point of having an electric fence if you have to be out there with them? If that’s the case I wouldn’t bother with the electric fence as our dog doesn’t run off when we’re with her...but her bladder isn’t good for more than 2-3 hours!

I have been looking into an electric fence when we move to TV..I would expect it to replace the vinyl/wood fence we have now...Our large dog almost always stays out during the day when we’re gone for more than a few hours.....i think in The Florida humidity we’d have a doggy door so she can go out and”go” and electric fence to confine where she goes. An electric fence wouldn’t make sense to me if we have to stand out side and watch her and race Home every few hours to let her out.

Last edited by Moderator; 10-30-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisy susy View Post
I have been looking into an electric fence when we move to TV..I would expect it to replace the vinyl/wood fence we have now...Our large dog almost always stays out during the day when we’re gone for more than a few hours.....i think in The Florida humidity we’d have a doggy door so she can go out and”go” and electric fence to confine where she goes. An electric fence wouldn’t make sense to me if we have to stand out side and watch her and race Home every few hours to let her out.
There have been incidents of people stealing dogs here in The Villages last summer. I don't know whether the thieves were ever caught. They would take the dog and leave the collar behind. Our dog used to love to hang out on the driveway during the day, tied onto a line. He won't be doing that alone anymore when we return to TV.

I wouldn't advise leaving your dog outside while you're gone, or even giving him access to the outside without being in a property with a lockable fence.

Tags
suggestions, dog, fence, allowed, invisible/electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.