Need Some Advice About Our Pup

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts
Default Need Some Advice About Our Pup

We are Fostering to Adopt a seemingly sweet well behaved 16 Lb Beagle. He has many strong points but the one he is struggling with is what we believe is separation anxiety. When our last dog had this years ago he was medicated and I wouldn't choose that route but would rather use behaviour modifying. We believe he was on the run for some time before he was saved. We are committed to making this work for him most importantly and for us.

Does anyone know of a person who can give us a helping hand? We are open to ideas you may have. He also doesn't get the idea of outside and inside as far as the bathroom goes. He is doing better but is inconsistent. When he is put in the cage its normally when he gets it wrong the worst. Thanks for your help!

For the last hour since he came back in from an unsuccessful bathroom trip he has been asleep with me keeping a watch for any sign that he may need to be let outside again. Sweet Dog. We are committed to him.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Nucky,

I am so sorry you and yours are going through this.

Beagles are known to be among the most laid back of breeds, but it sounds like your guy has been through a lot. As we know -- just like with humans -- Nature/Nurture -- both have an effect.

I found an article for you on the ASPCA website. It goes into detail, not only on how to deal with separation anxiety, but also talks about what could be the causes.

(There is a play "Sylvia" that is about a dog that was a rescued stray. Sylvia is a dog played by an actress. I love this play and have seen it 3 times. There is a line that Sylvia says to the man who rescued her:

Sylvia says, "There are some things about me you will just never know."

I have always remembered that line and could picture our dog Annie saying it. Annie arrived at our back door and we took her in. She was with us for almost 17 years. But we never knew anything about where she was before that long-ago, April evening, under a full moon, when she looked in at me through a screen door.

I thought about naming her Moondoggie, but we went with Annie because she was an orphan before she found us.)

But I digress. (blush)

Soooo anyway, here is a good article that I hope helps:

Separation Anxiety | ASPCA
Old 01-16-2019, 11:55 AM

I read an article within the last few months about separation anxiety in dogs and the author used a tape recording of of their voice on a loop. The dog heard the voices and was reassured that their human was close by. My dog has it mildly at times, but other times he is content to go sleep and chill out.

Good luck with the pup.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Just a thought about the accidents - that happened once with our well trained dog and it turned out she had a bladder infection. Possible?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Sage

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies. Waiting for a call from the Vet to be certain it’s not something that he needs treatment for medically. The idea of a voice loop is thinking outside the box and I like it and found the way to do it. If it doesn’t work on Luca then it could be fun for torturing my wife. She’s so supportive as usual. I’m grateful. The article that Boomer attached was unbelievable. It put much of what I read in other articles into an orderly helpful easily understandable format.

Thanks a whole lot you guys!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 PM

We have an American Coker Spaniel that went through terrible separation anxiety. The only real fix we found was to acquire his brother. Once he had another dog with him we never had problems leaving them alone. Good luck.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 01-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Smile

That pup is one lucky guy to have found you and your wife. Bless all three of you.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Sage

We had a dog that had terrible separation anxiety when confined to a room.
When we left the house, he would eat furniture, tear up floors, etc.
We found through trial and error, that if he could see us leave the house, he was OK.
Not saying that would work for Luca, but you could try it.
I agree with lobster that Luca is lucky to have found you.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

How does Luca exhibit his separation anxiety?

We started leaving our puppies for short amounts of time. We would say a quick See ya, buddy and walk out the door. Come back later and not make a big fuss over them about returning, jus Hi, we're back. Gradually started lengthening the times. Of course, we did this without crating them after we ascertained they were past the chewing stage.

Maybe when you've had Luca longer, he will no longer think he's being abandoned when you leave.

As for house breaking, I suggest taking him out every half hour till he gets the point. Praise and treat when successful. Always to the same spot, saying Go potty, or some other words of your choice. It should eventually kick in. If you just walk him till he goes, he won't get the benefit of the repetition. Or else he thinks it's just walk time. Ask Bare about Brutus and what she did.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

As for house breaking, I suggest taking him out every half hour till he gets the point. Praise and treat when successful. Always to the same spot, saying Go potty, or some other words of your choice. It should eventually kick in. If you just walk him till he goes, he won't get the benefit of the repetition. Or else he thinks it's just walk time. Ask Bare about Brutus and what she did.
This is exactly what we did when he was a pup. A couple of times when he looked like he was going to go (or even after he started) we grabbed him and carried him out and then gave him praise and treats until he understood.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Sage

Thank's you guys. This guy is a little different than the others that we've raised from a pup. Nobody knows any background other than a car was seen dropping the dog on the side of the road and the car's plate or the dog couldn't be snagged. Can you imagine someone just dumping a dog on the side of the road? I have my own thoughts on what should happen to people like that. Karma will handle them. He must have been on the run for a while and his Heartworm Situation is critical. Damn shame. Maybe the medicine is making him go nuts.

There is no way this guy gets the run of the house like every other dog I've ever had. He's got an evil smirk on his face. It's crate a Go-Go for him.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
As for house breaking, I suggest taking him out every half hour till he gets the point. Praise and treat when successful. Always to the same spot, saying Go potty, or some other words of your choice. It should eventually kick in.
My Vet suggested cheesies as a treat for "go pee".
I never used cheesies, but apparently dogs love them.

The rescue we have now was given up at 1 1/2 years old and ended up at Max's Pet Connection.
We've had Baxter for over a year, and he is finally starting to feel secure again.
A sensitive dog can take a long time to get over being abandoned.
Luca obviously had owners that didn't care about him at all.
I'm very happy that you are fostering him. I hope it works out for you to adopt him.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Platinum member

We did the routine of leaving for short times and extending gradually. Also we leave the radio on and that ended the anxiety issues.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 PM

He needs long walks several times per day. I have trained many pups and dogs, and I find exercise is the most important part of training. Most people do not want to hear that but it is true. This takes commitment and your time. I would crate him while inside. He is not housebroke if he has "accidents". If your walk him an hour for three times a day and crate him while inside, with a short walk just before bedtime, it should take 2 weeks till he is trained. Most people will cheat on the schedule because they feel sorry for the dog and those dogs are the ones that are turned back in to the shelter, or destroy the house- maybe not for good but makes for much clean up for many months. Your choice, but if you stay strong he should be good and trained in 2 weeks.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 PM

Rescue Remedy by Bach from Amazon. Three squirts on the tongue or gums and our rescued lab would chill out.
Closed Thread

Tags
committed, dog, bathroom, sweet, ideas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.