Neighbors barking dog.

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Default Neighbors barking dog.

What can / should I do about a in house large dog that barks all the time ?
My wife and I can not enjoy outside patio reading and napping. The dog barks at all strange, passing by trucks, golf carts, other dogs, people etc..
The dog barks the most, when owners are away from the house. For the most part, the dog is always inside the home. Please note, this dog is a very nice dog, just likes to bark. And the owners are wonderful neighbors.

Last edited by Nichjr; 03-14-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: additional note
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichjr View Post
My wife and I can not enjoy outside patio reading and napping. The dog barks at all strange, passing by trucks, golf carts, other dogs, people etc..
That's terrible.
Try talking to the owners. Are there other neighbors that feel the same way?
Maybe all can approach the owners at the same time.
Good luck.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

I agree, the first option is to discuss the problem with your neighbors. I'm sure they know their dog is barking, but they may not realize how loudly it can be heard by you. If that fails, I would guess that your next step would be to investigate the noise ordinances in your county and then take the matter to whomever is responsible for enforcing them. But hopefully a friendly discussion with your neighbors will work.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
What can / should I do about a in house large dog that barks all the time ? My wife and I can not enjoy outside patio reading and napping. The dog barks at all strange, passing by trucks, golf carts, other dogs, people etc..
I think you should gently talk to your neighbors, and not as a group.
A large dog that barks all the time is bored stiff. He needs to be taken to Doggie Doo Run Run every afternoon where he can run off leash and play for hours with other dogs. Then he will be a tired, happy dog and he will be sleeping, not barking. If they say they don't know how to stop him barking, perhaps you could gently suggest the dog park idea.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

What an awful problem to have, and to deal with. In my experience, you've come to the right place. This website is populated by bright and helpful people who know about all sorts of stuff. Sadly, I'm not one of them. But stay tuned for those smart ones to post...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Some say barking dogs want attention maybe just left out too much have a talk with them, and see where that goes
Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

Call Deed Compliance. That's an actual violation.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
OP may need to clarify about "in house dog" ... does he/she mean the dog is inside the 4 walls of the house barking? If so, not much you can do about that. Or, is the dog out in an exposed lanai/birdcage, still contained, but essentially outside?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Sage

If a dog is indoors, but still making enough noise to create a disturbance, it warrants a call to community standards.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Sage

It's not the dog, it's the owners lack of enrichment in the dogs life or activity perhaps.

Enrichment in animals lives has been a focus in the way zoos house their animals.

But to complain as Mulligan and gocubsgo suggests to authorities may result in the dog being put in kill shelter and U know what can happen from there.......

last point buy them a "no bark collar"
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Everyone knows I love dogs. But people do have a right to enjoy their own property without a continued noise disturbance.

There has to be a way that these owners can learn to take care of the animal that they are supposed to be lovingly responsible for and for the folks who live near them have an enjoyable time.

When kids and dogs are allowed to bother other people it is the parents fault.

I feel sorry for the poor suffering OP and for the pup too.

Perhaps you can record the noise and give the proof to the homeowner and explain that it is REALLY GETTING ON YOUR NERVES.....in a nice way.

And if that doesn't work...then call whoever has the clout here to speak to them.

And if that doesn't work, I will gather the girls posse, we will break into the home and steal the dog and give it to someone who will love it and play with it and not leave it alone for hours.

(I am Just Kidding in the last sentence.) kinda.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I would first kindly talk to the dog and ask why his owners are ignoring him.Then see if he would please remedy the situation before you contact the owners.
Its a shame pets have such bad owners not good for the community..

Never met a bad pet only bad owners
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Sage

OP - are these new neighbors or a new dog? We have moved several times and I can speak from experience that my dogs would bark in a new surrounding until they understood it was a safe place. I don't have barkers, but there is an adjustment period. Hope that is the case for you.

Speaking of restrictions - the other night I was outside with my pooch and could actually hear my husband snoring right through the walls - can I send him to the shelter?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
It's not the dog, it's the owners lack of enrichment in the dogs life or activity perhaps.

Enrichment in animals lives has been a focus in the way zoos house their animals.

But to complain as Mulligan and gocubsgo suggests to authorities may result in the dog being put in kill shelter and U know what can happen from there.......

last point buy them a "no bark collar"
Really? Don't you think that's a little drastic? I'm sure the issue can be resolved by talking to the owner. It's very common for people around here to be hard of hearing, maybe the owner is and just doesn't realize how loud the dog is barking.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Sage
When my dogs were puppies, they apparently barked incessantly when I went out to dinner and left them alone. Early the next morning, the Sumter County Sheriff's office was at my door. They will not put up with this barking. BTW, it never happened again.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.