New Mulberry Dog Park

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The Villages Daily Sun often highlights how much the Villages' developers, the businesses in the Villages, etc. love animals. The sorry state of some of the Villages' dog parks show something quite different.

They should have planned from the beginning to parcel out enough land for dog parks that are of good size and have the proper amenities and use the landscape of the Villages.
Now why do ya think Harold didn't think about that! Or maybe he did and liability came to mind?

Old 05-02-2021, 12:28 PM

Well in answer to your question of why you should have to pay for dog parks I’ll explain why. I don’t golf but pay the fees for the maintenance for all the wasted space used for golfing! Why do you golfers need hundreds of golf courses when a few would do? I have to pay for YOUR hobby, why shouldn’t you pay for dog park maintenance?
Old 05-02-2021, 02:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1516 View Post
Well in answer to your question of why you should have to pay for dog parks I’ll explain why. I don’t golf but pay the fees for the maintenance for all the wasted space used for golfing! Why do you golfers need hundreds of golf courses when a few would do? I have to pay for YOUR hobby, why shouldn’t you pay for dog park maintenance?
We all pay for amenities we do not use. I do not play pickleball or tennis, but my fees pay for the upkeep of the courts and supplies. I do not play softball, but my fees pay for the upkeep of the softball fields. I have never play the pitch and putt course, but my fees pay for the upkeep of this course. Are you catching my drift? We all pay for amenities we do not use. BTW, I do not use the dog parks, but I am glad there is an area where owners can take their pups and let them play.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
We all pay for amenities we do not use. I do not play pickleball or tennis, but my fees pay for the upkeep of the courts and supplies. I do not play softball, but my fees pay for the upkeep of the softball fields. I have never play the pitch and putt course, but my fees pay for the upkeep of this course. Are you catching my drift? We all pay for amenities we do not use. BTW, I do not use the dog parks, but I am glad there is an area where owners can take their pups and let them play.
I totally agree with you. I don’t use any of those activities either nor the dog park but I’m tired of reading the comments from those who do use the golf courses and other activities that complain about not wanting to pay for dog parks. I’ve seen some of those parks and they are pitiful. Dirt holes, no grass, no maintenance. Absolutely no incentive to take dogs there. These are the same people who complain about dog pee and poop on their lawns. You can’t have it both ways. Spend the money to routinely maintain them like they do the golf courses! It’s only fair!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Dog Parks

Take a look at Brinson-Perry Dog Park.
1231 Bonita Boulevard

When I was there shortly after it opened the small dog section was very small and most of it was on the side of a hill. Easy to fall when you are trying to find your dog's poop to pick it up.

It looks like they stuck that dog park where they could not even get a house into that area. One house might fit but they would, at least, level the area and not leave a steep grade of hill.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:54 PM

The city of Ocala has a beautiful dog park, it is closed 2 full days a week so grass will grow back sitting areas cleaned. The new Dudley park is closed for about 4 hours once a week. It's a shame some owners still don't understand the poop bags are provided for a reason. Sand box is for the ruts and holes, NOT to cover over the poop. If you can not clean up after your pet you really shouldn't have one, but some feel it's beneath them. I get fed up cleaning up someone elses poop while getting my dogs poop. Just so I/others don't step on/in it.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebooo View Post
You forgot swing sets and seesaws and maybe a swimming pool and exercise course oh and don't forget maybe nice beds to lay in in the shade so they don't get there fur dirty. Come on it's a dog park
If dogs could buy houses the dog parks would have everything you mentioned and more.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:12 PM
Default Dog Parks

[QUIOTE=Becky&;1937438]I finally got over to see the “new” Mulberry dog park. Frankly I’m surprised & disappointed. Yes it has a shaded covering and more places to sit, newer fences & landscaping. The dogs don’t need or care about that.
How about a small pond, elevated areas, sand to play in, tires to walk through or around, blocks to climb on- ones cubes and ones with holes cut out, weave poles, a small dog house or fire plug for a cute addition. Who designed this? It’s a grass museum. Why not put the effort from designing recreation centers or new area to build and sell in into our dog parks.
It is two fenced in grassy areas. Nothing to brag about in my opinion, although it is heralded in the paper about three times a week.
Dogs deserve SO much more, and frankly SO do we.[/QUOTE]
If you want a dog park, buy a villa. Dog parks are where dogs get into fights, catch fleas and other problems, and allow lazy humans to not have to walk and pick up after their dogs. I have had several dogs and have never used a dog park because of all those reasons.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Well, I have two dogs and I agree the parks could be so much more. On the other hand, I am VERY happy to have what we have. Adding a lot of "things" for the dogs is not just a one-time cost, it is also maintenance costs and insurance costs, and on and on.

Most places I have lived prior to here didn't bother to provide dog parks at all. Having off-lease dog parks within walking distance is a big deal for me, I am happy for what we have.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

People created makeshift dog parks in various areas of the Villages over the years. I can think of at least two offhand and went to one of them rather often with my former dog Sport as he would not go chase something.

And I had friends you used both.

One was up by a church off of 42 and the other near Rio Grande Mail Center and Pool.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:14 PM
Default Benches may be beautiful but they are dangerous

If you have a small dog be careful you pup doesn't jump on the benches. The spacing between the slats is wide enough that your dogs leg might just slide on through and could get broken. Not a very wise or well thought out design. Rumor has it that a pup broke its leg over at the dog park on the historic side.

FWIW, be careful.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I give the Villages props for at least putting up a shaded area there. Unfortunately our dog is no longer able to enjoy the dog parks because of his age and hips but he still enjoys a good golf cart ride.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, small, dogs, frankly, mulberry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.