No Lion Cut for Pickles

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default No Lion Cut for Pickles

> I am so bummed. She is so hot and miserable here. She's tossing up hairballs every day even with hairball preventative stuff. So, I called Village Groomers. Had the appointment all made. When they found out she was 14 and had never been groomed, they said no way. Suggested I take her to a vet and have put under to get the grooming done. Um, no.

So, any suggestions? Anyone else know of another groomer who will do this on an older, cowardly kitty?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Sage
Default Re: No Lion Cut for Pickles

Dee, have you tried doing it yourself? I started doing my own grooming when I had an old dog that the groomers wanted to medicate. No way. Now I groom all my animals myself. Less stress for the animals, and it can be done in short sessions. No cost. They may look a little weird as I'm not a professional, but hair grows out and they soon look cute again.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 PM

I agree Dee... You could probably do it, I do my schnauzers. :bigthumbsup:

But be sure and get pet clippers, not human ones.
The pet ones have a quieter motor so as not to frighten the pets as much.
Ask at the pet store when you buy em for quiet ones.
I have several sets but use the quietest ones around the ears, it makes a difference.
If I forget, the schnauzers remind me...
Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Sage

I don't use clippers on my animals. I tried them and they hated them (although I'm sure they would have grown used to them if I'd persisted). I found the clippers pull the hair if there are matts. I use only scissors (usually blunt ended ones). That is probably one of the reasons my dogs look so strange after a grooming session. But within a couple of weeks, they look normal again. And they don't know they look strange so their feelings aren't hurt, and other animals don't shun them at the dog park.

My cat, Snert, is a beautiful Himalayan. She loves it when I get out the scissors! She jumps up on the bed to be groomed and gets a treat afterwards.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Red, I've had many long haired cats, and have found that giving them butter or olive oil, or some version of these, will help the hairballs go on thru their systems and come out the other end just fine. Depending on their individual taste, I would mix it with their food or some yogurt, or something else they liked.

Also to remove the matting, I would massage some oil or butter into the mat to loosen it. For the most stubborn mats/tangles, I sometimes had to cut them off, carefully using blunt little scissors. Mine all seemed to like being gently groomed, although some had spots that they didn't want to be brushed. I never did a lion cut, I hope you don't have to.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Veteran member

I had my Ben shaved down and he sprouts a lion's cut. Millie does too but it looks better on Ben. Both are long haired and their coats will mat after a while so I have it done every year but probably twice now that I live here.

In IL, I went to the groomers at Petsmart but I believe Petco does dog/cat grooming. I bet they will take Pickles. I used the express service. It's an extra $10 but that let me sit and wait for them as opposed to dropping them off and picking them up hours later. I always made app'ts in the early AM to avoid the dog traffic.

I don;t think I would chance shaving them myself. I have clippers and will do a potty patch but a cat's skin is very thin and there's a risk of hurting them if you're not experienced with clippers.

Try calling Petco or Petsmart if in the area. I'm sure they will take Pickles.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Thanks, Nanci. I'll give them a call. Strangely, I don't mind tranqing Pickles for this -- I had planned to do it anyway. She is terrified riding in the car and I've gotten used to giving her a little something just so she doesn't have to go through that trauma (this was at the recommendation of her old vet -- he'd never seen a cat so scared and said the pill was better than the abject fear).

I'm like you -- there is no way I would try to do it myself. Heck, she runs when I try to cut a mat out. But I can brush her for hours and she doesn't mind if I get mats out that way (which hurts wayyyyy more) -- go figure.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Red.
Our Diva is 18 years old and poor old girl, she is a long hair and matted. All white and blue eyes too, still has her looks. I trim her about once a week for as long as she will let me. She bites when she gets annoyed. Sometimes Helene will hold her head away from my hands. I have to wash her bottom and that doesn't help with the clumps. I wouldn't take her to a groomer because of her age.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Veteran member

Gracie, try using a flea comb instread of a brush - it doesn't pull at the fur as much. I find a brush stimulates their skin and that's what makes them snap (bite)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.