Non CYV with animals

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Default Non CYV with animals

Just want to get opinions here. We used to have a CYV due to our cats and dog. We are thinking of buying a non CYV type house now. Has anyone come up with a way to let the dogs/cats outside while keeping them contained? Can we put up a screened in area off the lanai onto the grass for this reason, or a small 10x10 area of 3 ft high fence with screen on top so cats cant get out but dogs can go thru a doggy door to the area for potty? Any ideas out there? My small dog is used to going out by himself.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:31 PM

Check out invisible fence
Old 11-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
Just want to get opinions here. We used to have a CYV due to our cats and dog. We are thinking of buying a non CYV type house now. Has anyone come up with a way to let the dogs/cats outside while keeping them contained? Can we put up a screened in area off the lanai onto the grass for this reason, or a small 10x10 area of 3 ft high fence with screen on top so cats cant get out but dogs can go thru a doggy door to the area for potty? Any ideas out there? My small dog is used to going out by himself.
Ask Angie Fox. She has a faux grass area for her pups.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:05 PM

Invisible fence will keep the dogs in the yard if they go out the doggy door, but then the cats will be able to go out the doggy door and roam. Need a containment suggestion for both dogs and cats, but thanks for the input
Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Sage

Our dog is simply trained to stay in our yard, but without a fence we would never leave her outside without us being there. Maybe some sort of screened area like you describe would work...and be acceptable under deed restrictions, etc. But please don't ever leave your four-legged family member outside with no supervision without positive, physical containment. And imho, invisible fence does not qualify.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:44 PM

I second that; coyotes are VERY quick! Invisible fence does not mean no supervision needed.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 PM

All pets need to be on a leash at all times outside. Anything can spook them and they take off running. Invisible Fence may prevent your pet from leaving but not prevent coyotes or other wildlife from coming in to get your pet. At least if they are on a leash you have a chance to save your pet.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

We take our dog out on a leash when needed and also for walks on a leash, never outside alone. I doubt very much that there are any villages that will allow a fence or enclosure outside. If owners are getting nailed for having a white cross outside I can image the uproar if they were to see a fence.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Despite all this talk of no fence these are done. Typically in combination with a shrub and a low green fence. Legal, no. Done, yes. I see these in the more established areas. People who are not prone to detail would not notice them. Typically they do not cover a large area. The fence is usually 18" high or so, often covered with the shrub itself.

Last edited by Toymeister; 11-07-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
Invisible fence will keep the dogs in the yard if they go out the doggy door, but then the cats will be able to go out the doggy door and roam. Need a containment suggestion for both dogs and cats, but thanks for the input
A homeowner had a doggy door. It became a convenient entrance for rats . I was told the house was difficult to sell because it reeked of rat urine ? Just saying
Old 11-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimit56 View Post
All pets need to be on a leash at all times outside...
Not when properly trained, supervised, and on their own property.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

TV has built several areas with homes with fences that were not CYVs - Nash Loop north of 466A, Wise Way and one other area in the Fruitland Park area. These proved very popular and have sold very quickly. I would keep close eye on the Fenney area as I don't think these will be the last standard homes with fences.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran member
Default Reply

It depends what you buy. In some new areas. Fences are allowed. If you buy certain models, say a Lily with a golf car garage, you can build (perhaps a birdcage with lawn not cement) behind the golf car garage, you could have a good-sized doggie area and so on.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
A homeowner had a doggy door. It became a convenient entrance for rats . I was told the house was difficult to sell because it reeked of rat urine ? Just saying
Yuk
Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Gold member

I have heard from people who their dogs went right through their electric fences. So keep that in mind. Not the safest choice. Not sure how much money you are willing to spend, but you might see if you could in your area have a concrete pad poured, put a concrete block wall around, and could even top it with a birdcage to keep the mosquitoes, birds, etc. out.
Closed Thread

Tags
area, cyv, small, dog, cats

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.