Non CYV with animals

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 PM

All great suggestions. I do not like invisible fences since I know of dogs who ran out and then were afraid to go back in due to the shock. I love the idea of a doggy area behind the golf cart garage and I did see a house for sale with a fence many months ago and was wondering why that house was able to have a fence so previous comments answer that question as well. Thank you all for your input, I have a lot of great suggestions to consider!!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
TV has built several areas with homes with fences that were not CYVs - Nash Loop north of 466A, Wise Way and one other area in the Fruitland Park area. These proved very popular and have sold very quickly. I would keep close eye on the Fenney area as I don't think these will be the last standard homes with fences.
Correct, but the OP was asking to build a structure or put up a fence on his/her own. Doubtful that will work. There already are homes in Fenney that come with fences so if you are not a fan of dogs, don't buy next door. I have a dog and would like a fence also but the fences they put up don't look all that good and they block the owners views, I'll keep walking him around the house or around the block.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
It depends what you buy. In some new areas. Fences are allowed. If you buy certain models, say a Lily with a golf car garage, you can build (perhaps a birdcage with lawn not cement) behind the golf car garage, you could have a good-sized doggie area and so on.
That's a good thought. We looked at a home here that had a lanai with attached birdcage but no pool. Never thought of it being a good place for pets but it would work and be safe for the pets.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 AM

Having a fence doesn't guarantee your pets are safe if left alone outside. Remember, coyotes can and do jump high fences and hawks can swoop down and grab small pets. I've twice had hawks swoop down near my 7 lb dog while I was standing right next to him and I'm likely the only reason he didn't get snatched up. It's a dangerous world out there for the little ones, they really shouldn't be left alone outside ever.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

Our cat loves the lanai and birdcage, she occasionally lets us use these! We went one step further when we had the birdcage installed, and had pet screen installed on the lower section, and had the screen replaced in the lanai lower section with pet screen. This was done to keep other animals out. As for a door, we have friends that have a bird cage with a grass area inside the bird cage for their dog. The only thing they mentioned was they need to be careful cutting the grass, lawn contractors will not do this, and they use a lawn mower that mulches the grass, but there is still some clean up to keep cuttings out of the house.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

When we first moved here our next door neighbor had quite tall bushes close to the utility boxes in the rear of the house. I never gave it much thought until one day I realized it was a square of bushes with sand base and his really big Golden used to use it as her bathroom. Worked out fine for them. There was never any odor from it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I know of one family who extended the birdcage along one side of the house. They had the sod remain on that patch with a doggie door in their slider. Perfect for the pets to do their business and lounge in the sun with no worries about wild animals, strays or critters entering their house and totally ARC approved.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-18-2017, 01:00 PM

Have you considered the cottage homes with fenced yards? I believe they are in Pine Ridge or Pine Hills village...check them out. Personally I would never let my dog out without a fence or CYV wall, and even then I stay nearby. I have seen hawks and other birds of prey on the wall looking for lunch. Bobcats were just photographed and posted on TOTV...they can scale our CYV wall easily.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Sage

There are lots of homes in Fenney that are fenced in like the CYV's are only larger and I assume you could hide a screened in section for your cats in there also as they are private just like the CYV's.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Invisable fence works for cats as well. Just buy a cat collar. We’ve had the Invisable fence for over 20 years and have used it for both Cats and dogs. Call Donald Invisable Fence 352 275 6663
Old 12-18-2017, 04:36 PM

Perfect! I have found my solution thanks to all of you! I love the idea of extending the lanai with a doggy door to an area with grass. That way the cats are kept in too and I always know they are safe. Thank all of you so much and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I know of one family who extended the birdcage along one side of the house. They had the sod remain on that patch with a doggie door in their slider. Perfect for the pets to do their business and lounge in the sun with no worries about wild animals, strays or critters entering their house and totally ARC approved.
I have a neighbor who is doing that, but ARC is severely limiting the grass space allowable inside the lanai--much less than she wanted for her 15-lb dog to go potty when it's raining. Best to check with ARC first.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Letting your dog outside and not on a leash, is an invitation for his death. This story was shown on Orlando TV, two adults were in the front yard within 20' of their dog during daylight when it was snatched by a coyote in the Village of Tall Trees. That's right up behind the Bob Evans on 466. This was the third incident I know of that has been documented in the past year.

From The Villages News - July 12, 2017

Villagers’ dog snatched, killed by coyote

A Villages couple’s dog was snatched and killed by a coyote early Wednesday morning in the Village of Tall Trees. Denise Edwards took her pair of Chihuahuas out this morning between 5:15 and 5:30 a.m. at her home on Welcome Way. Edwards went to fetch her neighbors’ newspaper and put it up closer to their house. That’s when she heard her 13-pound, 3-year-old Chihuahua named Bailey “screaming.” An “enormous” coyote had locked its jaw on Bailey. The dog’s sister, Pita, also a Chihuahua, tried to fight off the coyote and escaped unharmed. “That coyote was as big as our neighbor’s Golden Retriever,” Edwards said. She tried to run after it and the commotion began waking up neigbhors who came out to help.

In a flash, the coyote got away with Bailey. Coyotes reportedly have been a problem in the neighborhood. “We’ve all been complaining about it,” Edwards said. Most coyote attacks on pets occur either at night or in the early evening and early morning hours, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The presence of coyotes has been documented in all 67 Florida counties.

The FWC offers these tips to keep you and your pets safe when it comes to coyotes:

• Be careful if you’re going to walk your pet in wooded areas or areas where there are a lot of other plants growing, which could hide coyotes. Also, keep your dog close, on a short leash.

• Keep cats indoors. When cats roam freely there is an increased risk that they could be attacked by coyotes.

• Be cautious if you are going to pick up your pet when you see a coyote. Picking up a pet may stop a coyote attack, but it can also lead to a situation in which an aggressive coyote continues to go after that pet while in the arms of a person.
Closed Thread

Tags
area, cyv, small, dog, cats

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.