Oct. 21-27, 2019 is "National Estate Planning Week"

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Default Oct. 21-27, 2019 is "National Estate Planning Week"

YOUR Humane Society SPCA Reminds Animal Lovers that Oct. 21-27, 2019 is "National Estate Planning Week"

Making a will is something no one wants to think about. At the same time, no one wants their assets to go to the State or to get tied up in court. Unfortunately, life can change in an instant. A prepared will or trust can provide peace of mind, having your assets distributed exactly as you instructed, including to those people or local charities that mean something significant to you and for the welfare of your own pet(s).

A local supporter and happy adopter, Sandra, a Sumter County resident, recently mentioned why she prepared her estate planning with YOUR Humane Society SPCA as a beneficiary. “I included YOUR Humane Society SPCA in my will because, having adopted my dog from them, I have witnessed their compassion and dedication first hand. I support their mission to provide a no-kill shelter and other vital services. I also recognize the urgent need for those services in our community. I can give donations now to help and by giving through my will, I can help assure that those services continue into the future.”

YOUR Humane Society SPCA offers a printable guideline of valuable information on their website, hsspca.org/estate-planning, to those interested in not only assisting the local no-kill shelter in their lifesaving work but also to ensure the future welfare of their surviving pets. Interested donors should take this guideline with them when meeting with their independent financial and legal counsel to execute wills, trusts, contracts or other agreements.

Also, Florida Statute §736.0408 allows a PET TRUST as part of an individual’s estate planning, which is enforceable in court, and allows part of said estate to go towards care of a pet(s). Pet owners are encouraged to include a PET TRUST. It is best to assign a pet caregiver, provide funding for the pet’s lifetime care and have the trustee maintain asset control according to the owner’s wishes. In the case of a will, a temporary pet caretaker should be selected for the time between the owner's death and the admission of the will to probate. A charitable organization can be considered to care for and/or place your furry companion if no friend or relative can take on your pet.

If you want to help save lives by “Leaving a Legacy of Compassion,” please contact YOUR Humane Society SPCA at 352-793-9117 to request a mailed copy, or go to Estate Planning – Your Humane Society SPCA to print a copy.

YOUR Humane Society SPCA, formerly known as the Humane Society/SPCA of Sumter County, Inc., is a 501(c)3 non-profit, no-kill organization helping animals in need throughout their community. As Sumter County’s oldest and largest no-kill shelter, donations directly help to cover the cost of saving, treating and caring for neglected, abused and abandoned animals. Learn more about them at hsspca.org, 352-793-9117, on Facebook or visit them at 994 CR 529A, in Lake Panasoffkee, FL. Office open: Mon.-Sat. 8am-4:00pm. Kennel Pet Viewing: Mon.-Sat. 9:00am-3:30pm. Visitors are always welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	YHSSPCA Gift Planning Puppy Image With Logo 2019.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	81199   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	YHSSPCA Logo White Background 2019.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	81200  
Closed Thread

Tags
pet, humane, society, spca, estate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.