Older Cat...Long Distance Ride...Rest of Story

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Default Older Cat...Long Distance Ride...Rest of Story

Thank you for all the great ideas and reassurances. We left Green Bay on 12/30 at 7:30 a.m with Kid-D in carrier that was sprayed with a relaxing spray and a relaxing collar, and drugs in the glove compartment, just in case. For a cat that was never a great car rider to the vet, she did great. Just a few low meows in the first half hour and not a peep the rest of the 24 hour, 2-day drive. She ate a little in the car, and a little more in The Red Roof Inn, in Bowling Green, KY. We let her have an open crate throughout the ride, but she huddled in the back of the carrier most of the way, with just one or two curiosity releases from the carrier. In the hotel, she spent most of the time in hiding, but came out in the middle of the night to get some attentions from us. We were concerned that she didn't take any water, or use the litter box for either of the two days of travel. However, once in our home in TV, she ate, drank and used her litter box the first night. 4 or 5 days later and she really likes her new home. Another happy Villages convert!!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I love a happy ending! Sometimes I think they just "know" what's up, and this isn't just a ride to the vet, but something more serious. It could be she sensed you were going to do this regardless.

Our dog will rarely drink water during our three day drives to and from the north. He'll do six hours in the car, stop for lunch, no drink, get in the hotel room and head for the john before we can stop him. Now I've learned to have the water bowl ready when we walk in the room and close the bathroom door while I fill it!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Sage

Happy to hear the kitty knew what to do!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Most every pet owner becomes over-anxious about long distance travel.

I knew your kitty would do well and am glad to hear she was fine and probably travelled better than we do!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Our boys send their best and told me to tell her Welcome home.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 PM

Traveling down in a month with our two cats...have never been in the car other than to the vet. We have Dramamine and Xanax ready to go! Say a prayer they so just as well!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.