Our experience with a foster dog

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2017, 01:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

What happened with our foster, Annie the night Irma was approaching: We'd not had her very long, but long enough to know she was housebroken. At the time she was a very nervous dog, paced frequently and set to barking for seemingly no good reason, no matter how recently she had been taken out. I put her on a leash to restrict her pacing that Irma night, and sat on the floor with her, allowing her only the length of the leash. To be honest, I didn't want to go out in that wind and rain. She paced and paced, and finally ruined a throw rug.

Stupid me. I once read a book about a golden guide dog who had to be retired and so was given to a noted mystery author. At the time, they told him, "If this dog does anything wrong, it will be your fault." They had company over one evening, ignored the dog when she kept coming up to the author, until she finally peed in a corner. As they were chastising the dog and cleaning up, the author remembered the comment of the guide dog people and felt terrible.

I too felt terrible for Annie, although I didn't chastise her. My penance was taking her out in the storm four more times during the night. I had to throw the rug out. I think you are faster at the switch than I, ajbrown.

Annie is over the runs (took a week and a trip to the emergency vet day after the storm because everything else was closed). She has also become less anxious the longer she is with us. However, I'm not sure I've become any more perceptive!

Again, not trying to hijack your thread, but thought you might be interested in a similar story with a less fortunate outcome. :-(
Old 10-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
<stuff snipped by Alan from OP>

Again, not trying to hijack your thread, but thought you might be interested in a similar story with a less fortunate outcome. :-(
Your post is anything but a hijack, it adds to the thread IMO. The more experiences the merrier...
Old 11-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Sage
Default We cannot do it anymore...

Z has come a long way, but still:
  • barks at other dogs occasionally
  • pulls at the leash on occasion
  • wants to eat anoles
  • cannot always remain calm when folks come to the door
  • is not the brightest dog we have had ( to be fair, Caly set the bar pretty high)

Linda and I finally realize we are not doing the girl any good with our foster care and have decided to give up. Do not be too disappointing, it was harder that we thought.

As of today, she is now part of our pack. There is no way we could let her go anywhere else. She is so sweet it makes me smile every time I see her.

We are foster flunkies and pretty happy about it.

Z will now be referred to as K if I post more about her.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
  • wants to eat anoles
  • is not the brightest dog we have had ( to be fair, Caly set the bar pretty high)

Linda and I finally realize we are not doing the girl any good with our foster care and have decided to give up. Do not be too disappointing, it was harder that we thought.

As of today, she is now part of our pack. There is no way we could let her go anywhere else. She is so sweet it makes me smile every time I see her.

You are keeping her!! YAY! Double, triple YAY!

There have been so many times when I had to keep myself from typing, “Hey! That dog adores you and wants so much to please you! Please, please keep her.”

Thanks for the happily ever after tale/tail!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

OMG! I thought you meant you were giving her back, and I was prepared to say how good you should feel about your help and how hard you tried. But this is the greatest failure ever!

So I suspect she is a wonderful coffee liqueur, and you and your wife are saints.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have always liked you to pieces AJ. Now I like you and Linda even more.

Wishing you continued happiness.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I am 100% delighted that she is a permanent family member!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Good for you and Linda. Good for Miss K. All is right with the world.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
  • wants to eat anoles

That is such a great thing to hear.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 PM

How wonderful! Nothing better than being a foster failure! Happy...Happy!!
Old 11-13-2017, 09:05 PM
Default Happy Ending!!!!!

Quote:
  • wants to eat anoles

Like many others here I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts of "Z" and each milestone you reached together with great enjoyment. I cannot tell you how much I looked forward to each of your posts as well as others here that have shared their experiences. I too have a shelter pup that I have had since the summer of 2009. I love her dearly and yes-even after all this time all she has to do is look at me with those beautiful big eyes and I just melt. She knows it too! Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with your wonderful pup! We loved it!!! Thank you and your wife for taking her in and giving her a wonderful and loving home!!! I am jumping up and down with happiness for she will always have a forever home with lots of love!! I can't stand it-I'm so happy! Another pup that went from an orphan with a grim looking future to a safe and loving home!! HOOORRAYYYYYY!!!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!!
Old 11-13-2017, 11:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have been so worried about what would happen to Miss K when you returned her to the shelter.
She obviously adores and trusts you and Linda.
I am so very happy to hear she is now part of your pack.
That is the best news ever!
I join Rufflesmom in saying thank you, thank you, thank you!
You are a good and loving couple.

Last edited by Barefoot; 11-13-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:31 AM
Veteran member

Three cheers and two beers!
I couldn't be happier for the three of you, but especially your little girl.
As you might recall, before you got Miss K, I had gone out to the Humane Society to see if adopting her would work.
I went out with my pups and it was a disaster. No need to go into any details.
In thinking back, had that experience been okay, we never would have been able to give her the attention she needed and deserved.
You did and it worked!
I'm currently all choked up thinking all's well that ends well.
I am so happy to hear the news and all the right words evade me right now.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Stuff snipped by Alan

As you might recall, before you got Miss K, I had gone out to the Humane Society to see if adopting her would work.
I went out with my pups and it was a disaster. No need to go into any details.
Of course I recall and appreciated you answering any question I had about Kalu (pronounced Kay Lou)

For all the rest of the replies, thank you so much. They are so kind. The reality is you give us praise for things you folks already do, so right back at you.

To be clear you may not be rid of us yet. My wife always says I like to hear myself 'talk'
Old 11-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Sage
Default Testing picture hosting sites (vgy.me)

K is getting pretty good at tug of war and it is a great way to teach 'drop'.

Picture of K with toy

The Villages Florida

Last edited by ajbrown; 11-18-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, foster, vodka, experience, enjoy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.