Pitbulls and Dobermans

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Pitbulls and Dobermans

Do you own a dog that requires extra insurance?

I enjoy watching Judge Judy and she is a dog lover but is very skeptical about owning a Pitbull especially around children.

I admit to being a little afraid of the breed.

Do you think there are many Pitbulls and Dobermans in the Villages?

I don't plan on getting one, just needed to change the subject.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-28-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Both breeds are great dogs, very loyal and loving. The problem isn’t the dogs, it’s the animals they breed them, treat them, and raise them to be mean. They are not problem dogs, the problem is the humans (they don’t deserve to be called human). Do you remember the dog in the Little Rascals named Pete, he was a pit bull terrier.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 05-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

I remember watching the Training Dogs television show with Barbara Woodhouse and her mantra that there were no bad dogs, just ignorant people. Casual observation can show how true that is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We have very close friends who moved to Chicago with their Pit Bull's, Crockett & Tubbs. I would trust them as much as any other dog near our grandchildren. We were told by several Insurance agents that our Pal Barney a 95 Lb Boxer was uninsurable in our Villages home. Well what do you know, a Boxer classified as aggressive? I offered to pay up but was flatly denied. It was a no go. Fortunately, no incident occurred. Doberman's are big babies if raised properly.

I miss not having a dog, a big one!
Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We have very close friends who moved to Chicago with their Pit Bull's, Crockett & Tubbs. I would trust them as much as any other dog near our grandchildren. We were told by several Insurance agents that our Pal Barney a 95 Lb Boxer was uninsurable in our Villages home. Well what do you know, a Boxer classified as aggressive? I offered to pay up but was flatly denied. It was a no go. Fortunately, no incident occurred. Doberman's are big babies if raised properly.

I miss not having a dog, a big one!
There are not many problem dogs, but a lot of problem owners.
Pitbulls are amongst the easiest to train. Either way!!
Regarding Boxers.
My cousin only ever had boxers, and they were as good as gold.
Daft as a brush? Yes.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer? Yes.
Unruly if not kept on top of? Without a doubt.
Vicious? Def. No.
Not for the sort of owner who likes to laze around!
Old 05-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Platinum member

If you see a problem dog, look at the owner, you have now found the problem.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 05-28-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

While owners make a large difference, the dogs have their individual temperaments. Just like among people you can get a “bad” kid even in the most loving family. Some breeds are bred for their specific temperaments. My Welshie was bred to hunt moles on farmers fields. He showed his terrier temperament from day 1. He had a jaw that could bite through a log, I had to use a metal chain to walk him initially, but in 18 years that he was with me he never even so much as try to nip a person.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:02 PM

I have owned four of the breeds mentioned above thus far in my life. Most of the problems with these breeds stem from back yard breeders who are doing it just for the money, owners who treat their dogs poorly and possibly beat them or simply tie them up to live alone outside, and in some cases genetics can play a part in a dog who could be classified as dangerous, however, that is usually not the main cause. My boxers were spirited and strong and could knock down a child, but was all in play, not aggressive behavior.

Last edited by Midnight Cowgirl; 06-07-2019 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Our son was attacked by a sweet hound dog on Sunday that belongs to his friend's parents. He was just patting the dog for a while and visiting and the dog was staring lovingly at him. It is a rescue hound gotten in December. Suddenly. the dog lunged at him and attacked him and ripped into his jaw. No warning, no anything, everyone was just sitting and visiting. Fortunately they were able to get the dog off him before it ripped his face apart. He will need plastic surgery when he heals. The trauma cannot be overstated. And this is a young man who is sweet and kind and absolutely is a great lover of dogs. Hound dogs are usually very kind dogs. One does not know the background of the dog from before it entered this new home where the people love him. We have really big dogs, Setters. Now I am sad that our son may be afraid of our dogs. Sometimes bad things happen, really bad. There were many people there who witnessed it and all our son was doing was patting the dog who had been enjoying it. Everyone is in shock and disbelief and feeling just sick about the whole life changing experience.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

My wife always watches Judge Judy and so I also see some episodes when home. Judge Judy has pointed out several times how Pit Bulls are not to be trusted. In addition, I have read of several maulings and killings by Pit Bulls. Bottom line, I like dogs but pass on a Pit Bull.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Our son was attacked by a sweet hound dog on Sunday that belongs to his friend's parents. He was just patting the dog for a while and visiting and the dog was staring lovingly at him. It is a rescue hound gotten in December. Suddenly. the dog lunged at him and attacked him and ripped into his jaw. No warning, no anything, everyone was just sitting and visiting. Fortunately they were able to get the dog off him before it ripped his face apart. He will need plastic surgery when he heals. The trauma cannot be overstated. And this is a young man who is sweet and kind and absolutely is a great lover of dogs. Hound dogs are usually very kind dogs. One does not know the background of the dog from before it entered this new home where the people love him. We have really big dogs, Setters. Now I am sad that our son may be afraid of our dogs. Sometimes bad things happen, really bad. There were many people there who witnessed it and all our son was doing was patting the dog who had been enjoying it. Everyone is in shock and disbelief and feeling just sick about the whole life changing experience.
I am so sorry Jane.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
If that was my dog it would be put to sleep ASAP.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I do not know if it was even reported. The hospital may have reported it, but our son is traumatized and is just dealing with his experience. I do not know the parents, do not know what they are doing, but our son is 25 and so in conflict because it is one of his best friend's parents. Our son and his friends were visiting and not even staying there, they were on a weekend getaway. I hope those parents are responsible and do the right thing. G-d forbid it had been worse or happens to another person. I absolutely know that our son is so sensitive and sweet and loves dogs, but he also loves his friends and I am sure experiencing great conflict and inner turmoil around many issues associated with this, including his deep jaw wounds, trauma, loyalty to friends, and now concern about his potential fear of large dogs which he has always loved. How life changes in a second. I say that all the time.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
If you see a problem dog, look at the owner, you have now found the problem.
Yes! And look at yourself before you adopt/buy a dog of certain breed. Or any breed, for that matter.

Are you good at training (i.e., are you energetic enough to be consistent and repetitive)? Are you willing to take the time to exercise a high-energy dog? Are you willing to socialize a puppy from the earliest age possible? Are you willing to acclimate the puppy to your being away for short periods during the day so it doesn't develop separation anxiety? (This takes thoughtful repetition.) Will you pick up after it, keep it off of other people's property? Will you spend a gazillion dollars keeping it healthy?

There are a lot of things to consider. I LOVE cats. LOVE them. We've had seven in 50 years. We've had three dogs. The dogs aren't nearly as independent as the cats were. One of these days, when I'm decrepit, I will have another cat. Maybe six. I will have litter boxes galore and plenty of food. And as long as I can walk, I will always have a dog. But not if I can't put out the effort.

As we speak, my dog has just snatched/ate the kleenex off of my end table. He is the consummate kleenex thief. I'll be picking it up... well, never mind. Sorry.

Pets make me so happy.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
While owners make a large difference, the dogs have their individual temperaments. Just like among people you can get a “bad” kid even in the most loving family. Some breeds are bred for their specific temperaments. My Welshie was bred to hunt moles on farmers fields. He showed his terrier temperament from day 1. He had a jaw that could bite through a log, I had to use a metal chain to walk him initially, but in 18 years that he was with me he never even so much as try to nip a person.
Well, there's your answer, IMO. You brought the dog up right.

Tags
pitbulls, dog, dobermans, afraid, admit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.