Owners who turn their dogs into kill shelters

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Sage
Exclamation Owners who turn their dogs into kill shelters

I received an email today and thought I'd share it...it's a bit blunt to the point.

"Dear Idiots, I'm sorry if you don't have the time for him, if he ****ed on the floor, jumped on you, got to old, your other half doesn't like him, your too lazy to walk him, your moving, having a fake allergy.

THE KILL SHELTER IS NOT THE ANSWER!!

PUT SOME TIME AND THOUGHT INTO WHERE YOU ARE LEAVING THE DOG THAT HAS BEEN LOYAL AND FAITHFUL TO YOU EVEN WHEN YOU WERE BEING A JACKASS!!!

I had to get that of my chest today and really don't give a **** who's insulted by it. "

What do U think?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Sage

I can see both sides. We adopted our last dog from a no-kill shelter. While we were looking at dogs there, we saw a medium-sized dog named Tess that was a quiet, shy girl. The next week she was gone, adopted by a family. The week after that she was back, turned in by the same family for "temper" issues. Seems that when the brought Tess home, the kids basically jumped on her. She ran under the bed, and when they tried to force her out of there, she snapped at them. What idiots. Hopefully Tess was adopted by someone with a brain who would let her adjust to her new surroundings. The dog we adopted had been there 9 months and had social issues. She was very timid. We had to trick her at the shelter just to walk with her. When we met her in a room before adopting her, she backed away from us across the room and ended perched on the back of a sofa because it was the farthest distance from us. She turned into a loving pet with time and patience. Other shelters would not have kept her that long.

On the other hand, kill shelters are caught between a rock and a hard place. What are they to do when they cannot care for all the animals there? Do they ration food and medicine and let them all suffer malnutrition and disease? Kill shelters are deemed the bad guys, so they don't get the donations that the others get. I remember hearing from a person who worked at such a shelter, and they were not unaffected by euthanizing these animals. They were vocal proponents of spay/neutering to avoid unwanted litters.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I received an email today and thought I'd share it...it's a bit blunt to the point.

"Dear Idiots, I'm sorry if you don't have the time for him, if he ****ed on the floor, jumped on you, got to old, your other half doesn't like him, your too lazy to walk him, your moving, having a fake allergy.

PUT SOME TIME AND THOUGHT INTO WHERE YOU ARE LEAVING THE DOG THAT HAS BEEN LOYAL AND FAITHFUL TO YOU EVEN WHEN YOU WERE BEING A JACKASS!!!

I had to get that of my chest today and really don't give a **** who's insulted by it. "

What do U think?
I'm with you, I don't give a **** either, either way.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Platinum member

Jimbo, ITA, but you're preaching to the choir here...

I think a lot of people rationalize that the dogs they turn in will be adopted from the shelter. The cute little pure breeds may be, I know people who do rescue on LI that visit them and "adopt" them into breed specific rescue to be later adopted out. The pit bulls, the older dogs, the ones never taught manners don't stand a chance.

It's just as bad (if not worse)with cats, everyone wants a cute little kitten. On this board we see time and again cats that need homes.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Fore Warned is Fore Armed

Before anyone adopts a dog they may want to gather as much life history about the dog that they can retrieve.

A family adopted a husky and with three weeks the dog viciously attacked one of the children placing the youngster in the hospital for several weeks.

The investigation determined that the dog had three owners including the present family. The original owner use to beat the dog with a bat and when the dog finally retaliated he gave the dog to the second owner who could not care for him and he gave it to this family
Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Before anyone adopts a dog they may want to gather as much life history about the dog that they can retrieve.

A family adopted a husky and with three weeks the dog viciously attacked one of the children placing the youngster in the hospital for several weeks.

The investigation determined that the dog had three owners including the present family. The original owner use to beat the dog with a bat and when the dog finally retaliated he gave the dog to the second owner who could not care for him and he gave it to this family
Hmm, wonder how they backed up the story to the bat wielding original owner. Hope he was prosecuted for animal cruelty. Seems like these three families knew each other and they just passed the dog around. Maybe the second owner should have given a heads up.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

What do U think?
Please spay or neuter your pet. If you cannot afford the animal, don't get one because it's cute. It needs love and attention, just like a child. It costs money, just like a child.. Shots, Heart Worm Prevention, Flea Prevention, etc., money to take care of any injuries or sickness that may occur, just like a child.. Puppies and kittens are cute, but they grow up. PLEASE be a responsible pet owner, BEFORE you get the animal!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.