Pet Safety

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Default Pet Safety

My girlfriend is from California and lives in a 55+ community. She visits TV and is concerned about the lack of fences in our neighborhood and the potential danger to her dog when outside and exposed to alligators, coyotes, etc. Any experience from you Villagers? I see hundreds of dogs in TV and haven’t heard of any hazards like this.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Gold member

Alligators could be in every pond. One was on a porch at 2am believed to be chased by a coyote just a few days ago. Small unleashed dogs have been taken By coyotes. Don’t walk them unleashed or near ponds. Be diligent.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batizle View Post
My girlfriend is from California and lives in a 55+ community. She visits TV and is concerned about the lack of fences in our neighborhood and the potential danger to her dog when outside and exposed to alligators, coyotes, etc. Any experience from you Villagers? I see hundreds of dogs in TV and haven’t heard of any hazards like this.
My feeling is that your girlfriend has a responsibility to her pet. She should not let her dog outside alone, and even if she is with the dog, it should be on a leash.

There have been stories of very small dogs being attacked by coyotes, and a story of a cat being taken while in a screened birdcage (with a hole in the screening). One of the verified instances was a man who had his dog off leash in his yard that was on a pond, and the dog wondered down to the pond and was taken by an alligator. The man went into the pond and punched the alligator until it let go of the dog.

I think there are other substantiated instances. So yes, your friend should be concerned and take the proper measures to secure her pet's safety.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

She's been here and she still think that we live in an unsafe area infested with wild animals that are constantly roaming the neighborhoods feeding on pet dogs and cats?

all she has to do is walk the dog on a leash and stay on the roads in the neighborhood
Old 07-03-2020, 07:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batizle View Post
Courtyard villas have walls around the back and sides. Pets are safe there. Other than that, except at one of the very few dog parks, her dogs would need to be leashed outside, according to the rules we sign (I hear fences are allowed in the Village of Chitty Chatty, but I’m not sure of that). Roads and sidewalks can get hot enough to burn the feet of dogs, but that’s where they are expected to walk. Many dogs aren’t fond of the heat and humidity, and it is nice to carry a portable water dish and a bottle of water for your dog. I’m among those who believe a smaller dog fits the Villages lifestyle better than a large one, but that’s up for debate.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:00 AM
Gold member

Maybe your friend watched too many Stephen King movies.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Wouldn't count on a fence for total security. Won't stop large raptors, bobcats, or coyotes. Yes, coyotes. Watch.

YouTube
Old 07-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Wouldn't count on a fence for total security. Won't stop large raptors, bobcats, or coyotes. Yes, coyotes. Watch.

YouTube
It doesn't stop snakes either. We have had snakes in our CYV enclosed yard. Plus I have an acquaintance at the end of Lowell in Tamarind Grove area whose Golden Retriever died as a result of being bitten by a venomous snake in her front yard.

Tags
exposed, alligators, coyotes, experience, pet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.