Pitbulls and Dobermans

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Pit bulls, Dobies, Rotties can be very aggressive if bred that way. If bred for fighting or guarding, you start with the most aggressive pups in the kennel and go from there. The problem isn’t always the owner — sometimes it’s the breeder who was breeding fighting dogs or guard dogs and then allows one of their dogs to be mated with a show dog. The aggressive traits are then brought into that line of show dogs and, thus, into the pet line.

That being said, I’d trust any of those breeds over a Cocker, a Saluki or a Chihuahua. These are all dogs known to turn on their families. Most of the Pit bull, etc. incidents stem from someone having taught the dogs to be aggressive, getting loose and attacking someone on the sidewalk or street. Tragic and preventable.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Our son was attacked by a sweet hound dog on Sunday that belongs to his friend's parents. He was just patting the dog for a while and visiting and the dog was staring lovingly at him. It is a rescue hound gotten in December. Suddenly. the dog lunged at him and attacked him and ripped into his jaw. No warning, no anything, everyone was just sitting and visiting. Fortunately they were able to get the dog off him before it ripped his face apart. He will need plastic surgery when he heals. The trauma cannot be overstated. And this is a young man who is sweet and kind and absolutely is a great lover of dogs. Hound dogs are usually very kind dogs. One does not know the background of the dog from before it entered this new home where the people love him. We have really big dogs, Setters. Now I am sad that our son may be afraid of our dogs. Sometimes bad things happen, really bad. There were many people there who witnessed it and all our son was doing was patting the dog who had been enjoying it. Everyone is in shock and disbelief and feeling just sick about the whole life changing experience.

Sorry.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:32 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Pit bulls

I recently read of an incident where a pit bull was a family pet and without warning attacked and killed a small child. It should be illegal to breed these dogs. Not to be trusted. They have killed 284 people in the last 13 years
Old 05-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Pit bulls, Dobies, Rotties can be very aggressive if bred that way. If bred for fighting or guarding, you start with the most aggressive pups in the kennel and go from there. The problem isn’t always the owner — sometimes it’s the breeder who was breeding fighting dogs or guard dogs and then allows one of their dogs to be mated with a show dog. The aggressive traits are then brought into that line of show dogs and, thus, into the pet line.

That being said, I’d trust any of those breeds over a Cocker, a Saluki or a Chihuahua. These are all dogs known to turn on their families. Most of the Pit bull, etc. incidents stem from someone having taught the dogs to be aggressive, getting loose and attacking someone on the sidewalk or street. Tragic and preventable.
I'd be interested to know how many breeders out there are breeding for fight dogs. My guess is that they are under the wire. If you go to a breeder looking for a certain breed as a pet, I wonder if you would run across a breeder breeding for fight.
The problem would be, possibly, taking one of these breeds from a rescue.

I hope to adopt not shop next time. I hope to be able to discern when looking at rescues. But I do believe in supporting responsible breeders in order to keep the different breed lines going. I've done that twice and adopted twice. I've had better luck with the specifically bred dogs, whose breeders I've vetted, but I hope to do better next time with a rescue.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:43 PM

I initially had the same reservations most people have about pit bulls, then I met met a wonderful, sweet mama pit who was able to change my mind. A few years later, while working as a Physician Assistant, I had to see a woman whose 16 month old nephew was mauled and killed by a pair of pit bulls. Understandably, she was a basket case. Unfortunately, the pendulum swung back the other way for me. These were previously known to be well behaved dogs, the owner did not latch their kennel gate tightly and something in the movements of the toddler incited these dogs to attack. She did not have enough control/authority over the dogs once the prey process started. One must always remember that a dog is just that-a dog. Their behavior can be unpredictable, especially if startled or injured. Many dogs may bite in these instances, but certain breeds have much more powerful jaws and the bite instinct doesn't seem to shut off until the prey is dead. This behavior is demonstrated in only a handful of breeds. So if there is a dog around my grandchildren, I understand there is always a chance of a bite. But with certain dogs, when a primitive instinct is ignited, if they have the ability to maim or kill, I can't condone having one.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
I recently read of an incident where a pit bull was a family pet and without warning attacked and killed a small child. It should be illegal to breed these dogs. Not to be trusted. They have killed 284 people in the last 13 years
That we know about.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Very sorry to hear about the bitten little boy. I hope he will heal well physically and psychologically.

There were parents on my street who used to let their sweet but clumsy children try to pet my Welshie. He was already trained to be gentle with my children. So it never became a problem. But... what these people never seemed to do is check WITH THE DOG whether it is ok to pet it or even approach it. It seemed always assumed that of course he would allow it and maybe wag his tail etc. I was very worried that my dogs (I also had a Goldie) would “accidentally” hurt a child so I put them through vigorous training from the day I got them as puppies to prepare them for anything a young child might do. All dogs are animals. It always surprises me when people treat them and expect them to behave as human beings.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:56 PM

The only dog that ever attacked me was - a Chihuahua. I held out my fist to let the dog sniff it, and he attacked my knuckle. Not that he did any damage, but it was a surprise!
My last dog was a chow, Australian shepherd, lab mix. Solid black and was the best protector we ever had. The worst she would do is herd you around. We did not mention the chow part, my insurance would not insure a chow. She was a terrific dog. In my opinion, a good mix is healthier, smarter, and better tempered than a pure-bred. Yes, I'm prejudiced. And pit bulls are in the news way too much for me to ever want one, although my niece with three children has one that is a big baby.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts
Default Training a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Very sorry to hear about the bitten little boy. I hope he will heal well physically and psychologically.

There were parents on my street who used to let their sweet but clumsy children try to pet my Welshie. He was already trained to be gentle with my children. So it never became a problem. But... what these people never seemed to do is check WITH THE DOG whether it is ok to pet it or even approach it. It seemed always assumed that of course he would allow it and maybe wag his tail etc. I was very worried that my dogs (I also had a Goldie) would “accidentally” hurt a child so I put them through vigorous training from the day I got them as puppies to prepare them for anything a young child might do. All dogs are animals. It always surprises me when people treat them and expect them to behave as human beings.
Excellent post. Training your dog is a must. If you can’t do it, there are dog trainers who can help. Given the type of community we live in and the closeness of neighbors it’s realy not an option.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

This is just my personal opinion. Pit bulls can't be trusted no matter how they are bred by the breeder and raised by the owner. They are killing machines. I wish they became extinct.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

“Today's pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other.” Google
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 PM

Some years ago I worked with a guy who had a pitbull and two small children. He always laughed when anyone asked why he would have a pitbull around two small children. He always said the dog was very calm around children and I have to admit the few times I was at his house the dog seemed fine. That is till one day he came into work late with the very sad story that the pitbull had viciously attacked one of their friends, who while visiting their home, took a step backwards and accidentally stepped on the dog's foot. They had to actually beat the dog to get him to let go. It took 110 stitches to patch up the damage. Huge lawsuit followed. I can understand any normal dog breed would likely nip or bite under the circumstances, but a pitbull is just too dangerous to have around no matter how safe you think they are.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
The only dog that ever attacked me was - a Chihuahua. I held out my fist to let the dog sniff it, and he attacked my knuckle. Not that he did any damage, but it was a surprise!
My last dog was a chow, Australian shepherd, lab mix. Solid black and was the best protector we ever had. The worst she would do is herd you around. We did not mention the chow part, my insurance would not insure a chow. She was a terrific dog. In my opinion, a good mix is healthier, smarter, and better tempered than a pure-bred. Yes, I'm prejudiced. And pit bulls are in the news way too much for me to ever want one, although my niece with three children has one that is a big baby.
I have met dozens of pit bulls that are big babies. Lots of factors I believe go into how a dog might re-act.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The most vicious "dog" I ever had was a cat! Queenie Beans. She was a rescue. We loved her anyway but kept her inside and well away from anyone.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 AM
Gold member

I'm in a bunch of Facebook groups and several small dogs minding their own business (some in their own yards) have been attacted by pitbulls. I am a dog lover, but they scare me. You hear of these nice families with a wonderful, loving pitbull who plays with the kids and is a wonderful dog.....then something happens and their child's face is disfigured or worse because the family dog attacked them. I would be afraid to take the chance.
Closed Thread

Tags
pitbulls, dog, dobermans, afraid, admit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.