Pitbulls and Dobermans

Pitbulls and Dobermans

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Our son was attacked by a sweet hound dog on Sunday that belongs to his friend's parents. He was just patting the dog for a while and visiting and the dog was staring lovingly at him. It is a rescue hound gotten in December. Suddenly. the dog lunged at him and attacked him and ripped into his jaw. No warning, no anything, everyone was just sitting and visiting. Fortunately they were able to get the dog off him before it ripped his face apart. He will need plastic surgery when he heals. The trauma cannot be overstated. And this is a young man who is sweet and kind and absolutely is a great lover of dogs. Hound dogs are usually very kind dogs. One does not know the background of the dog from before it entered this new home where the people love him. We have really big dogs, Setters. Now I am sad that our son may be afraid of our dogs. Sometimes bad things happen, really bad. There were many people there who witnessed it and all our son was doing was patting the dog who had been enjoying it. Everyone is in shock and disbelief and feeling just sick about the whole life changing experience.
I am so sorry Jane.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Our son was attacked by a sweet hound dog on Sunday that belongs to his friend's parents. He was just patting the dog for a while and visiting and the dog was staring lovingly at him. It is a rescue hound gotten in December. Suddenly. the dog lunged at him and attacked him and ripped into his jaw. No warning, no anything, everyone was just sitting and visiting. Fortunately they were able to get the dog off him before it ripped his face apart. He will need plastic surgery when he heals. The trauma cannot be overstated. And this is a young man who is sweet and kind and absolutely is a great lover of dogs. Hound dogs are usually very kind dogs. One does not know the background of the dog from before it entered this new home where the people love him. We have really big dogs, Setters. Now I am sad that our son may be afraid of our dogs. Sometimes bad things happen, really bad. There were many people there who witnessed it and all our son was doing was patting the dog who had been enjoying it. Everyone is in shock and disbelief and feeling just sick about the whole life changing experience.
If that was my dog it would be put to sleep ASAP.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Gold member

Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I do not know if it was even reported. The hospital may have reported it, but our son is traumatized and is just dealing with his experience. I do not know the parents, do not know what they are doing, but our son is 25 and so in conflict because it is one of his best friend's parents. Our son and his friends were visiting and not even staying there, they were on a weekend getaway. I hope those parents are responsible and do the right thing. G-d forbid it had been worse or happens to another person. I absolutely know that our son is so sensitive and sweet and loves dogs, but he also loves his friends and I am sure experiencing great conflict and inner turmoil around many issues associated with this, including his deep jaw wounds, trauma, loyalty to friends, and now concern about his potential fear of large dogs which he has always loved. How life changes in a second. I say that all the time.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
If you see a problem dog, look at the owner, you have now found the problem.
Yes! And look at yourself before you adopt/buy a dog of certain breed. Or any breed, for that matter.

Are you good at training (i.e., are you energetic enough to be consistent and repetitive)? Are you willing to take the time to exercise a high-energy dog? Are you willing to socialize a puppy from the earliest age possible? Are you willing to acclimate the puppy to your being away for short periods during the day so it doesn't develop separation anxiety? (This takes thoughtful repetition.) Will you pick up after it, keep it off of other people's property? Will you spend a gazillion dollars keeping it healthy?

There are a lot of things to consider. I LOVE cats. LOVE them. We've had seven in 50 years. We've had three dogs. The dogs aren't nearly as independent as the cats were. One of these days, when I'm decrepit, I will have another cat. Maybe six. I will have litter boxes galore and plenty of food. And as long as I can walk, I will always have a dog. But not if I can't put out the effort.

As we speak, my dog has just snatched/ate the kleenex off of my end table. He is the consummate kleenex thief. I'll be picking it up... well, never mind. Sorry.

Pets make me so happy.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
While owners make a large difference, the dogs have their individual temperaments. Just like among people you can get a “bad” kid even in the most loving family. Some breeds are bred for their specific temperaments. My Welshie was bred to hunt moles on farmers fields. He showed his terrier temperament from day 1. He had a jaw that could bite through a log, I had to use a metal chain to walk him initially, but in 18 years that he was with me he never even so much as try to nip a person.
Well, there's your answer, IMO. You brought the dog up right.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Sage

Pit bulls, Dobies, Rotties can be very aggressive if bred that way. If bred for fighting or guarding, you start with the most aggressive pups in the kennel and go from there. The problem isn’t always the owner — sometimes it’s the breeder who was breeding fighting dogs or guard dogs and then allows one of their dogs to be mated with a show dog. The aggressive traits are then brought into that line of show dogs and, thus, into the pet line.

That being said, I’d trust any of those breeds over a Cocker, a Saluki or a Chihuahua. These are all dogs known to turn on their families. Most of the Pit bull, etc. incidents stem from someone having taught the dogs to be aggressive, getting loose and attacking someone on the sidewalk or street. Tragic and preventable.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Quote:

Sorry.
Pit bulls
Old 05-28-2019, 05:32 PM
Veteran member

Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Pit bulls

I recently read of an incident where a pit bull was a family pet and without warning attacked and killed a small child. It should be illegal to breed these dogs. Not to be trusted. They have killed 284 people in the last 13 years
Old 05-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Pit bulls, Dobies, Rotties can be very aggressive if bred that way. If bred for fighting or guarding, you start with the most aggressive pups in the kennel and go from there. The problem isn’t always the owner — sometimes it’s the breeder who was breeding fighting dogs or guard dogs and then allows one of their dogs to be mated with a show dog. The aggressive traits are then brought into that line of show dogs and, thus, into the pet line.

That being said, I’d trust any of those breeds over a Cocker, a Saluki or a Chihuahua. These are all dogs known to turn on their families. Most of the Pit bull, etc. incidents stem from someone having taught the dogs to be aggressive, getting loose and attacking someone on the sidewalk or street. Tragic and preventable.
I'd be interested to know how many breeders out there are breeding for fight dogs. My guess is that they are under the wire. If you go to a breeder looking for a certain breed as a pet, I wonder if you would run across a breeder breeding for fight.
The problem would be, possibly, taking one of these breeds from a rescue.

I hope to adopt not shop next time. I hope to be able to discern when looking at rescues. But I do believe in supporting responsible breeders in order to keep the different breed lines going. I've done that twice and adopted twice. I've had better luck with the specifically bred dogs, whose breeders I've vetted, but I hope to do better next time with a rescue.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:43 PM

I initially had the same reservations most people have about pit bulls, then I met met a wonderful, sweet mama pit who was able to change my mind. A few years later, while working as a Physician Assistant, I had to see a woman whose 16 month old nephew was mauled and killed by a pair of pit bulls. Understandably, she was a basket case. Unfortunately, the pendulum swung back the other way for me. These were previously known to be well behaved dogs, the owner did not latch their kennel gate tightly and something in the movements of the toddler incited these dogs to attack. She did not have enough control/authority over the dogs once the prey process started. One must always remember that a dog is just that-a dog. Their behavior can be unpredictable, especially if startled or injured. Many dogs may bite in these instances, but certain breeds have much more powerful jaws and the bite instinct doesn't seem to shut off until the prey is dead. This behavior is demonstrated in only a handful of breeds. So if there is a dog around my grandchildren, I understand there is always a chance of a bite. But with certain dogs, when a primitive instinct is ignited, if they have the ability to maim or kill, I can't condone having one.

Tags
pitbulls, dog, dobermans, afraid, admit