Pitbulls and Dobermans

Pitbulls and Dobermans

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
I recently read of an incident where a pit bull was a family pet and without warning attacked and killed a small child. It should be illegal to breed these dogs. Not to be trusted. They have killed 284 people in the last 13 years
That we know about.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles

Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 PM

Very sorry to hear about the bitten little boy. I hope he will heal well physically and psychologically.

There were parents on my street who used to let their sweet but clumsy children try to pet my Welshie. He was already trained to be gentle with my children. So it never became a problem. But... what these people never seemed to do is check WITH THE DOG whether it is ok to pet it or even approach it. It seemed always assumed that of course he would allow it and maybe wag his tail etc. I was very worried that my dogs (I also had a Goldie) would “accidentally” hurt a child so I put them through vigorous training from the day I got them as puppies to prepare them for anything a young child might do. All dogs are animals. It always surprises me when people treat them and expect them to behave as human beings.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2019, 06:56 PM

The only dog that ever attacked me was - a Chihuahua. I held out my fist to let the dog sniff it, and he attacked my knuckle. Not that he did any damage, but it was a surprise!
My last dog was a chow, Australian shepherd, lab mix. Solid black and was the best protector we ever had. The worst she would do is herd you around. We did not mention the chow part, my insurance would not insure a chow. She was a terrific dog. In my opinion, a good mix is healthier, smarter, and better tempered than a pure-bred. Yes, I'm prejudiced. And pit bulls are in the news way too much for me to ever want one, although my niece with three children has one that is a big baby.
Training a must
Old 05-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Default Training a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Very sorry to hear about the bitten little boy. I hope he will heal well physically and psychologically.

There were parents on my street who used to let their sweet but clumsy children try to pet my Welshie. He was already trained to be gentle with my children. So it never became a problem. But... what these people never seemed to do is check WITH THE DOG whether it is ok to pet it or even approach it. It seemed always assumed that of course he would allow it and maybe wag his tail etc. I was very worried that my dogs (I also had a Goldie) would “accidentally” hurt a child so I put them through vigorous training from the day I got them as puppies to prepare them for anything a young child might do. All dogs are animals. It always surprises me when people treat them and expect them to behave as human beings.
Excellent post. Training your dog is a must. If you can’t do it, there are dog trainers who can help. Given the type of community we live in and the closeness of neighbors it’s realy not an option.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

This is just my personal opinion. Pit bulls can't be trusted no matter how they are bred by the breeder and raised by the owner. They are killing machines. I wish they became extinct.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 PM

“Today's pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other.” Google
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 PM

Some years ago I worked with a guy who had a pitbull and two small children. He always laughed when anyone asked why he would have a pitbull around two small children. He always said the dog was very calm around children and I have to admit the few times I was at his house the dog seemed fine. That is till one day he came into work late with the very sad story that the pitbull had viciously attacked one of their friends, who while visiting their home, took a step backwards and accidentally stepped on the dog's foot. They had to actually beat the dog to get him to let go. It took 110 stitches to patch up the damage. Huge lawsuit followed. I can understand any normal dog breed would likely nip or bite under the circumstances, but a pitbull is just too dangerous to have around no matter how safe you think they are.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
The only dog that ever attacked me was - a Chihuahua. I held out my fist to let the dog sniff it, and he attacked my knuckle. Not that he did any damage, but it was a surprise!
My last dog was a chow, Australian shepherd, lab mix. Solid black and was the best protector we ever had. The worst she would do is herd you around. We did not mention the chow part, my insurance would not insure a chow. She was a terrific dog. In my opinion, a good mix is healthier, smarter, and better tempered than a pure-bred. Yes, I'm prejudiced. And pit bulls are in the news way too much for me to ever want one, although my niece with three children has one that is a big baby.
I have met dozens of pit bulls that are big babies. Lots of factors I believe go into how a dog might re-act.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:54 PM
Sage

The most vicious "dog" I ever had was a cat! Queenie Beans. She was a rescue. We loved her anyway but kept her inside and well away from anyone.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 AM
Gold member

I'm in a bunch of Facebook groups and several small dogs minding their own business (some in their own yards) have been attacted by pitbulls. I am a dog lover, but they scare me. You hear of these nice families with a wonderful, loving pitbull who plays with the kids and is a wonderful dog.....then something happens and their child's face is disfigured or worse because the family dog attacked them. I would be afraid to take the chance.

Tags
pitbulls, dog, dobermans, afraid, admit