Pitbulls and Dobermans

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I have met dozens of pit bulls that are big babies. Lots of factors I believe go into how a dog might react.
I agree totally. I have also met lots of pit bulls that are big babies.
Once a dog knows fear, it will react instinctively.
The key is in the upbringing and training. Sadly, some dogs don't have a chance.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'm a Doberman Wannabee! Love those Dogs & Boxers To! Better make that all Doggies!
Old 06-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
This is just my personal opinion. Pit bulls can't be trusted no matter how they are bred by the breeder and raised by the owner. They are killing machines. I wish they became extinct.
People are killing machines too but it doesn't keep me from living near them. What's worse, is that at least dogs have two excuses: instinct and poor training by their handlers. People do it with conscious intention, purposefully, no matter how they were trained. I'm very glad people aren't extinct, regardless of the whackos who kill tossed into the mix.

Pit bulls are no more or less inclined to bite someone than any other breed of dog. Their bite is more dangerous than the bite of a less powerful dog, so they're likely to do more damage when they bite, than a less powerful dog.

The pit mix across the street was attacked by the other neighbor's dog a couple of years ago. The other neighbor's dog was some kind of lab mix. It took two of us to get that lab off the pit, and the pit needed stitches in his shoulder.

How did that happen? The lab was badly trained and its handler didn't bother to make sure his screen door was completely closed, when our neighbor was walking his pitt - on a leash - down the sidewalk in front of their house.

Maybe those owners should become extinct. But not the dogs.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Some years ago I worked with a guy who had a pitbull and two small children. He always laughed when anyone asked why he would have a pitbull around two small children. He always said the dog was very calm around children and I have to admit the few times I was at his house the dog seemed fine. That is till one day he came into work late with the very sad story that the pitbull had viciously attacked one of their friends, who while visiting their home, took a step backwards and accidentally stepped on the dog's foot. They had to actually beat the dog to get him to let go. It took 110 stitches to patch up the damage. Huge lawsuit followed. I can understand any normal dog breed would likely nip or bite under the circumstances, but a pitbull is just too dangerous to have around no matter how safe you think they are.
I'd bite you too if you ever stepped on my tail. I'm not seeing the problem here.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I'd bite you too if you ever stepped on my tail. I'm not seeing the problem here.
When I accidentally step on my Golden's tail or paw or trip over him, he acts like it's his fault. "I'm so sorry I had my paw where your foot wanted to go." That's not training, IMO; that's temperament.

I see a problem with a dog who would attack because you accidentally stepped on his foot.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
When I accidentally step on my Golden's tail or paw or trip over him, he acts like it's his fault. "I'm so sorry I had my paw where your foot wanted to go." That's not training, IMO; that's temperament.

I see a problem with a dog who would attack because you accidentally stepped on his foot.

Then maybe you just have a very special dog!
Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Gold member

Never own a pet that you can't take in a fight--I'm thinking about adopting a clam
Old 06-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
Never own a pet that you can't take in a fight--I'm thinking about adopting a clam
Watch your fingers!😊
Old 06-07-2019, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

I do know a guy whose cocker spaniel was badly bitten by two pit bulls. He had gone to their front door to return his neighbor's cell phone which had been left at his house. They opened the front door and the pit bulls attacked to a tune of $1200.00 in damages. And these were supposedly well trained and behaved pit bulls.

My guess is that they had some bad history in their background. They were protecting their house though.

You do have to look at the context and take things on a case-by-case basis. Does need more thought than using stereotypes though. And if I am in a bad situation where I have to make very quick decisions I would go back to using these kind of stereotypes. I do tend to walk across the street when walking my dog around an unfamiliar pit bull or German shepherd, Doberman, Rottweiler, or sometimes even an aggressive Chihuahua.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-07-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

The Hungarian puli is a very loyal dog, will let their owner pull their teeth literally and they will give their life for him, but, the puli is loyal to only one person. They are not terribly friendly. They were bred as working dogs in Hungary not as pets usually.

I do believe that temperament makes a huge difference. I knew the parents and even grandparents of my dogs who were selected to be family pets so no puli for us.

A friend shows American Staffordshire Terriers (part pit-bull part terrier) in European and North American dog shows. He has 15 dogs living with him. He offered me 2 beautiful puppies. These dogs are willful and powerful. My friend is a boxer by profession and aggressive himself so he enjoys the daily training required with these dogs. I could not see myself having the physical strength to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	7298D1A5-6B34-47D7-AA42-D45F7C04906E.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	79807  

Last edited by Velvet; 06-08-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
pitbulls, dog, dobermans, afraid, admit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.