Places to walk senior dogs

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Default Places to walk senior dogs

Hello all,
We will be moving with our two large senior dogs to the villages in under two weeks (Brownwood area). I read a lot of the posts about dog parks, and although they sound fabulous, I was wondering where there might be walking paths or greenspace to take a nice easy saunter on leash with my babies. My femaile is 10 with torn ACLs and the other is an 11 year old Aussie with bad hips and had a spinal injury (bruised) - although to see him you wouldn't know it. I would love to go to the dog park with them but the Aussie will try to chase a ball or catch a frisbee if someone is throwing one for their dog. I am not sure how the 10 yr old female will do in a dog park setting - she'd probably be fine as she lived with many dogs with her previous owner (my friend who passed away from cancer), but I am not sure...

Anyways advise would be welcome for the fur seniors, including my husband - the old dawg!

Pat
(Can't wait!!!!!)
Old 03-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Default dog walk

We take our golden retriever to the field behind the Rio Grand pool. Best place to walk them and no leashes are required. 125 acres. Lots of folks out there around 9 am and 5 pm but you'll run into folks all day.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

Most of the streets in The Villages' neighborhoods are pretty quiet and a good place to walk dogs. There are not sidewalks, but the streets (in the neighborhoods) are mostly good places for a leisurely stroll.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove

There is some nice green space down South near Eisenhower Rec Center, which is close to Brownwood. Also some of the newer areas down there, Lake Deaton, Hillsborough, etc. have made public paths to the ponds, which are designated by two rows of hedges. You can stroll at your leisure.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!

We walk our dogs at Lake Okahumpka on the south side of 44, about a mile east of Brownwood. There are paved walkways under LOTS of shade trees, however you will need to drive your dogs there in a car. Welcome to TV!!!
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Default Big Dogs .....hmmmmmm

I love big dogs but they do not seem to be a favorite of many in TV. I often dogsit for my sons lab and notice uncomfortable looks as I walk her. Residents here seem to prefer small dogs that conform to some unspecified and unspeakable uniform dog code.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoPAA View Post
We walk our dogs at Lake Okahumpka on the south side of 44, about a mile east of Brownwood. There are paved walkways under LOTS of shade trees, however you will need to drive your dogs there in a car. Welcome to TV!!!
I second this! It's a beautiful area with 3 miles of walking paths in a lot of shade. There is even a small fenced dog park.

I've taken our 7-year-old golden there a lot for walks because of the shade. I take a water bowl along and fill it in the fountain and sit at the picnic table for a bit after our walk.

So pleasant, and easy parking right at the trailhead.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I second this! It's a beautiful area with 3 miles of walking paths in a lot of shade. There is even a small fenced dog park.

I've taken our 7-year-old golden there a lot for walks because of the shade. I take a water bowl along and fill it in the fountain and sit at the picnic table for a bit after our walk.

So pleasant, and easy parking right at the trailhead.
The dog park would be great, but unfortunately, it is loaded with sand spurs.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

The Springdale Fitness Trail south side would be good for older dogs. The north side allows golf carts which you have to watch out for and some of these speed by. It is up just east of Nancy Lopez Country Club.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth95 View Post
Hello all,
We will be moving with our two large senior dogs to the villages in under two weeks (Brownwood area). I read a lot of the posts about dog parks, and although they sound fabulous, I was wondering where there might be walking paths or greenspace to take a nice easy saunter on leash with my babies. My femaile is 10 with torn ACLs and the other is an 11 year old Aussie with bad hips and had a spinal injury (bruised) - although to see him you wouldn't know it. I would love to go to the dog park with them but the Aussie will try to chase a ball or catch a frisbee if someone is throwing one for their dog. I am not sure how the 10 yr old female will do in a dog park setting - she'd probably be fine as she lived with many dogs with her previous owner (my friend who passed away from cancer), but I am not sure...

Anyways advise would be welcome for the fur seniors, including my husband - the old dawg!

Pat
(Can't wait!!!!!)
You have a heart of gold.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoPAA View Post
I had no idea. Think I shall give it a go today! Thanks for the tip.

Isn't it lovely when people have positive suggestions and information to offer instead of...well...you know who you all are and what I'm talking about.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

We live in the Brownwood area as well, OP. There is a beautiful sidewalk that winds around the back of the Eisenhower Recreation Center that is shaded, has grassy areas, and is perfect for walking dogs and seeing other dog lovers walking their dogs. You can take your car or golf cart over there if the walk to Eisenhower is too long for them. A lot of people do that. Everyone I've met picks up after their dog and is friendly and ready to strike up a conversation. Also, it gives the dogs a chance to socialize under more controlled conditions than perhaps in the dog park.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
I love big dogs but they do not seem to be a favorite of many in TV. I often dogsit for my sons lab and notice uncomfortable looks as I walk her. Residents here seem to prefer small dogs that conform to some unspecified and unspeakable uniform dog code.
What area do you live in, Dr. Who? Here in Tamarind Grove, I get smiley hellos from people while walking our big dog, and lots of nice comments. (I'll even forgive the guy who called him an "old duffer" because he didn't mean it unkindly.) One couple even pulls into our driveway in their golf cart to pet him when he's lounging on his line.

Perhaps you live in an area with more elderly residents? They may be leery of big dogs for fear of falling. Just a guess.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
What area do you live in, Dr. Who? Here in Tamarind Grove, I get smiley hellos from people while walking our big dog, and lots of nice comments. (I'll even forgive the guy who called him an "old duffer" because he didn't mean it unkindly.) One couple even pulls into our driveway in their golf cart to pet him when he's lounging on his line.

Perhaps you live in an area with more elderly residents? They may be leery of big dogs for fear of falling. Just a guess.
What !!!!!!
Someone dissed Crosby.
I will rain Fire and Brimstone down on them.

P.S. that line is a little frayed on the end.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
What !!!!!!
Someone dissed Crosby.
I will rain Fire and Brimstone down on them.

P.S. that line is a little frayed on the end.
He feels so safe now.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.