Please, please don't walk your pet in this heat unless

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-28-2019, 03:01 PM
Sage

Default Please, please don't walk your pet in this heat unless

:You walk n your own bare feet!!!!!

Last edited by jebartle; 05-29-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Veteran member

I hope every pet owner reads this & follows your advice. Pets need to stay inside after duties have been done in their yards.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 12:45 AM

Even in the heat, dogs still need some exercise, be it by taking a walk or going to one of the dog parks to romp.
An owner should be able to tell when their pup has had enough.
Everything in moderation, as they say.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:44 AM
Sage

I don't have a pet...therefore don't need to walk one. That said though, I was out yesterday (Tuesday) for appointments and was walking in a parking lot from my car to a building. The heat that was coming up off the pavement almost took my breath away. To think anyone would walk barefoot, much less walk their pet is mind-blowing. The skin would scortch in a very short time. It's not about moderation but common sense.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:47 AM
Sage

Our walks are now early morning and later at night. Our entire neighborhood is shaded by then and the pavement has cooled down.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:03 AM
Sage

Dogs need to stay on the grass as much as possible. Or try one of the various dog parks in the Villages or near it like Doggie Doo Run Run. 10 acres of grass. A mile or going north up CR 101 which is called Belvedere south of CR466. Past Southern Trace Shopping Center.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Dogs need to stay on the grass as much as possible. Or try one of the various dog parks in the Villages or near it like Doggie Doo Run Run. 10 acres of grass. A mile or going north up CR 101 which is called Belvedere south of CR466. Past Southern Trace Shopping Center.
We have a large grassy corner lot so we let him out frequently and he can walk around or run or roll in the grass. His walks are more for socialization as most of our neighbors will greet him with treats.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
We have a large grassy corner lot so we let him out frequently and he can walk around or run or roll in the grass. His walks are more for socialization as most of our neighbors will greet him with treats.
That is cool in more ways than one. I stick my hand down and check wherever my pooch might walk. Lots of area have seemed too hot for his paws.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Not sure if this suggestion would work for you. On hot days I would have booties for my dogs, the Welshie would do the goose step in them til he got used to them. I would used baby sunscreen on exposed parts like the nose and ears. Around the neck and back tie a cold wet cotton scarf this doesn’t help in high humidity. I have also seen people putting the dog in a stroller or baby carrier to take them to a grassy area.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Not sure if this suggestion would work for you. On hot days I would have booties for my dogs, the Welshie would do the goose step in them til he got used to them. I would used baby sunscreen on exposed parts like the nose and ears. Around the neck and back tie a cold wet cotton scarf this doesn’t help in high humidity. I have also seen people putting the dog in a stroller or baby carrier to take them to a grassy area.
How ironic. In the north we would have to brave the north county in winter. Putting on all those annoying winter garments. Walking around like a waddling duck. Getting frost bite on my exposed skin. Driving through the snow covered roads. Being trapped in the house.

What's worse - me having to put boots, scarves, sunscreen on my dog and making sure my baby stroller has had it seasonal maintenance check.

Tags
walker, feet, heat, walk, pet