Please, please don't walk your pet in this heat unless

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2019, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Moses prefers watching animal channel instead of HOT walk.

20151222_115052-moses-watching-tv-jpg
Old 05-29-2019, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The expression “go for a walk” often represents the dog has to relieve themselves, besides getting some exercise. Early morning and evening would be better for walks when the temperature is so high.
I found having a dog is a bit like having a toddler, they are totally dependent on you for their welfare.
Thats why cats are so much smarter than dogs.
They can look after themselves!
Old 05-29-2019, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Cats are more independent. Some are very smart. I inherited a well loved black and white domestic short hair. He hated me reading the newspaper and when he thought I didn’t see him, he tasted my coffee (which has a LOT of milk). On really hot days he would stroll through the sprinkler to wet his fur a little. He remembered the name of each family member and I could ask him where is Tom?

Moses and Mookie are very lucky to have such caring owners. And if I had to wear a heavy black fur coat in 90 degree plus sunshine, I’d rather stay in too.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Cats are more independent. Some are very smart. I inherited a well loved black and white domestic short hair. He hated me reading the newspaper and when he thought I didn’t see him, he tasted my coffee (which has a LOT of milk). On really hot days he would stroll through the sprinkler to wet his fur a little. He remembered the name of each family member and I could ask him where is Tom?

Moses and Mookie are very lucky to have such caring owners. And if I had to wear a heavy black fur coat in 90 degree plus sunshine, I’d rather stay in too.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM

You are right Dogs have pads on their feet which our protection. I’m NOT saying they should take long walks on hot pavement. So don’t yell at me. But dogs need to get outside for short walks. Last year I walked my dog across the street some Ass saw me started yelling at me and called me a fat pig. No one takes better care or loves their dog more than us. I do what’s best for my dog. That’s why he’s lived to be the age he is.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:47 AM

My 2 go for walks just before sun down but before we walk they get in their doggie pool and are wet down to help with this heat.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
We also have a great lot on a cul de sac next to the 6th tee on Longleaf..we're able to throw a frisbee for him and have a blue plastic kiddies pool for Mookie to cool off in.
Your pup reminds me of my beloved Belgian Malinois, Max. We had 14 wonderful years together.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Some dogs are bred for colder climates and really shouldn't have to endure Florida summers at all. Shaving them doesn't help, because the fur is protection against the elements - including heat.

Some dogs thrive in hot temperatures but you STILL have to be careful with their feet, because dogs didn't create asphalt and mother nature didn't breed them to tolerate it. There are booties for dogs, either use them, or keep the dog off the pavement. I'll extend that to the town squares too. I don't care what time of day or night it is. Dogs shouldn't have to stand, sit, walk, or lay down on the concrete for hours while you enjoy the band. If you disagree, I'll challenge you to take your shoes off and stand on the concrete for three hours, and if you get tired of standing, lay on the concrete instead. Dogs' hearing is MUCH more sensitive than yours ever was, even after you changed the batteries for your hearing aids. There's no reason to subject Fido to that kind of decibel level, barefoot on concrete, for hours. Leave the dog home.

Dogs DO need daily exercise, in addition to having to relieve themselves. Put booties on the dog, or keep him off the pavement. There should be no excuse for this.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:36 PM

While the concrete is bad, it is asphalt which is the real issue.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

If you touch it with your bare feet or hands you can feel what the pet feels when they walk on it, even if they have a bit of a pad to cushion them. Asphalt, like tar can melt in the sun. A cool wet hankie around the back of the neck is also welcome if it’s not too humid. And summer booties I crochet mine and my Welshie did the goose step in them initially.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Bosoxfan

If you can't walk o. It barefooted then please keep your dog off it
Old 06-28-2019, 06:41 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseydog View Post
Your pup reminds me of my beloved Belgian Malinois, Max. We had 14 wonderful years together.
Great to hear 14 years.Was he or she. Servicedog or pet?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:
We also have a great lot on a cul de sac next to the 6th tee on Longleaf..we're able to throw a frisbee for him and have a blue plastic kiddies pool for Mookie to cool off in.
I love your post, Mookie looks very happy. You are obviously a good dog owner. Is your pup named after Mookie Betts Bosoxfan? Our boarder collie, Sallie, loves to play with a soft frisbee like Mookie's. When we are up North we take Sallie swimming in a nearby lake during hot days so she gets her exercise while staying cool, unfortunately that is hard to do in Florida with gators and snakes in the water. The kiddies pool for Mookie is a great idea.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Saw a pooch named Juno who looked just like this yesterday.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Even in the heat, dogs still need some exercise, be it by taking a walk or going to one of the dog parks to romp.
An owner should be able to tell when their pup has had enough.
Everything in moderation, as they say.
You are spot on
Closed Thread

Tags
walker, feet, heat, walk, pet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.