Poor dogs

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Sometimes you have to take your dogs to places where you know some people will not like it. I’ve never had someone kick my dogs or yell at me for brining them so far. But I have had some close encounters. Some people take it personally, it’s either their place or it’s for pets. Fearful people, just like fearful pets, are the hardest to deal with. I wouldn’t bring my woofies to the squares when there are a lot of people, first of all because I wouldn’t want anyone to accidentally step on their delicate paws.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I do not take my dog places for attention. He gets groomed in Brownwood and I walk him at the square before and after. A couple of times a month we take him to the Farmers Market in Brownwood. He likes being out and getting petted. My intent is for him to become a therapy dog and socialization is necessary.
Your forgot to mention also allows him to enter restaurants stores lodging establishments all with out question
Old 10-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Therapy dogs do not have access to restaurants, supermarkets or stores that do not allow dogs. He will be visitng patients in nursing homes and hospitals.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We are all a bunch of strongly opinionated people who like to argue.

We have cats. They told us they don't want to go to the squares. They even said, "Absolutely NOT".

We all three enjoy dogs and cats and truly enjoy seeing dogs at the squares. I think furries are very good for people as we get better.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
WELCOME and don't worry. Everybody loves their dogs here as it's always a designer dog show around town. Dogs are #1 (well, #2 also ). How many dog bakeries are there vs people bakeries? Dogs must be like people because very often there are cute little dogs with ribbons, skirts, boots and even sunglasses sitting their cute little butts ON the tables in front of Starbucks at LSL where lots of us actually use the table for food. They get driven around in baby carriages that cost as much as a semester in college. Last year there even was a pig on a leash at Brownwood. Likely more dogs than people. No one mistreats dogs here.

(written mostly with tongue in cheek)
Another reason I NEVER go to Starbucks
Old 10-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bills View Post
my two cents is, that it is the owners who are parading and looking for attenion, not the dogs!
here here
Old 10-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Sage

Now that’s true. My woofies were never impressed with strangers petting them. But it does depend on the breed. The Golden Retriever cared for attention much more than the Welsh Terrier.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Here it goes again. The dog thread. Now mention poop and this thread will go crazy.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Sage

If you’re not a dog owner, it’s hard to understand, it’s a bit like talking about members of your family. When does it become uninteresting?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Thank GAWD our family lives in a dog-frendly village!
Old 10-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Florida's weather IMHO..Is exposing pets to an inhumane environment
There are many dogs (like chihuahuas) that don't find Florida weather all that bad at all. But there are folks who love the heavily-furred breeds of dogs they might have had when they lived in a northern state that bring them along when they retire here. Those are the dogs I feel for when it gets hot.

When we had a dog, we'd take her for walks around a pretty busy park near us. She'd get petted by dozens of people as she was a real cutie. I don't think the squares during the day are any more crowded than that. At night when the music is playing? That's another story. Too crowded and the music is too loud for dogs. But that's just my thinking. I probably do a lot of things other folks find just as stupid.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Veteran member

When I first moved to TV I noticed people walking with strollers. I was wondering why there were so many babies in a retirement village.
I couldn't believe it when I found out they were dogs. I thought the purpose of taking your dogs our was to give them exercise. Oh well. I am glad I only have grand dogs now. I remember walking my dogs on those cold, snowy, winter nights or those rainy summer nights. Don't miss them at all. I still love dogs. Woof! Woof! PS: Did anyone see that guy with those two monster (beasts) dogs on chain leashes. I think there were Italian Mastifs. I saw him in LSL and Brownwood. He does not live in TV. Very Scary. He could barely control them

Last edited by bilcon; 10-22-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: additional material
Old 10-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Sometimes you have to take your dogs to places where you know some people will not like it. I’ve never had someone kick my dogs or yell at me for brining them so far. But I have had some close encounters. Some people take it personally, it’s either their place or it’s for pets. Fearful people, just like fearful pets, are the hardest to deal with. I wouldn’t bring my woofies to the squares when there are a lot of people, first of all because I wouldn’t want anyone to accidentally step on their delicate paws.
It's fun taking our dogs to the squares.
We do it rarely, and never in the summer.
When we do, people line up to pat our goldendoodle.

Last edited by Barefoot; 10-22-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
When I first moved to TV I noticed people walking with strollers. ... I couldn't believe it when I found out they were dogs.
Some dogs can't get much exercise due to infirmities or old age.
My friend bought a stroller because her dog had a leg operation.
Be kind.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:20 PM
Sage

The dogs I’ve seen with Villagers so far, have all been well treated. Some dogs I can say, are extraordinarily well treated. From exclusive medical treatments, to grooming etc etc. There is the odd idiot, too young to be a Villager, who goes dancing with their dog on leash at the square but I’ve seen that only once and I think they should have been reported for that behavior. We get dog trainers to train dogs but I think we also need trainers to train some owners.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, stupid, people, dog, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.