Poor Pet Care at the Village Paw Spa

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

After hearing what our in house doggie information person has to say( K9lovers) ....NOW I am really upset. (As I said I don't have pups, and kitties use litter)

They should have to pay your vet bill.

Scratch their necks for me.

And add a kiss on their foreheads.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
After hearing what our in house doggie information person has to say( K9lovers) ....NOW I am really upset. (As I said I don't have pups, and kitties use litter)

They should have to pay your vet bill.

Scratch their necks for me.

And add a kiss on their foreheads.
And if they don't pay the vet bill, I guess GG, Red and I will have to go beat the crap out of them.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Sage

Ooops. I forgot that crap doesn't automatically turn to **** on the forum. Guess I should have said ****.

My bad.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're giving great advice, K-9. Would you have any recommendations for a kenel/spa in or near TV for "The Little Princess" to stay and/or be groomed when we move to TV? I have a wonderful place in WNY. Lexi loves to go to this kennel and almost hates to leave (because it's back to real world!). I would love a place similar in/near TV. When I picked her up last time, I said I was going to send her to Florida and I was going to stay at the kennel........it is so clean and all the dogs get wonderful care. Recommendations, please, of comparable places in TV. Thank you.
If you choose a boarding kennel:

Everyone here seems to love Bedtime Tails, however, I've never visited. If you plan to leave your little one at a kennel, please go by yourself and ask for a tour. A reputable place should be able to accomodate you within a few minutes wait. A long wait before they show you every nook and cranny is not a good sign. And, my same advice goes: take your little princess for a couple of 4 hour visits before you actually board her, and she will tell you herself if it is a good or bad place.

The best solution for any dog:

My opinion is that someone who can take your dog into their own home is the best route. Someone who does not work and who may have another dog the same size would be the perfect solution. Again, the short 4-hour trial visits are a must.

Even though we had THE BEST OF THE BEST place to board, when we had dogs with special needs, or those who were a little nervous, I always took them home with me at night. A home atmosphere is always best.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 PM

Maybe that is why they are up for sale...
http://www.buybusiness.com/Businesse...-Club-for-Pets
Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
I recently picked up my dogs from a two week stay at the Village Paw Spa on Rolling Acres Road and was horrified to find one of the dogs in terrible shape. I immediately rushed the dog to our Veterinarian who diagnosed him with a 103.5 degree fever, severely swollen and infected paws, and an extensive and painful skin infection - all of which the dog didn't have before being dropped off at the Village Paw Spa facility. It's my Vet's opinion, based on the dogs condition, that the dog was neglected. Additionally, I had given the Village Paw Spa very specific written instructions regarding the dogs care and authorization to coordinate with my Veterinarian if that need should arise. At no time during the two week stay - even when the dogs condition worsened to a point where it was obvious that there was something seriously wrong - did anyone from the Village Paw Spa contact the dogs Veterinarian for advice or treatment...nor did anyone call me to advise me that he was ill. I'm horrified by the care - or more specifically, the lack of care - that these dogs experienced while at the Village Paw Spa. I would not recommend this facility.
Usually when I read about a poster receiving unsatisfactory service, I think "there are two sides to every story". But not this time. In this case, I think that TomKat has every right to be upset and that his dogs were abused by Village Paw Spa. I would be beyond furious. I am so sorry TomKat, for you and for your dogs, that you had to endure this.

I am so glad that you posted this, so we can all warn our friends. I hope that Village Paw Spa pays your entire Vet bill. I feel so badly for you. Good luck to you and your dogs.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 PM

I just saw the for sale notice on the www. Perhaps the Village Paw Spa should notify their customers that the facility is for sale. I didn't see any notice of sale when I dropped the dogs off.

My sincerest thanks to our Vet Dr. Amy Barnett, and her staff, for their professionalism and care while attending to our dogs needs. The boys are on the mend and improving with each passing day.

And thanks to everyone on Talk of The Villages for their support and suggestions.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Pet Hotel

It sounds like I may have a place for my little precious angel to stay on occasion.....or maybe I'll leave her home & I'll stay for a little pampering. I will definitely check out your place. Thank you.
--------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by BedtimeTailsLuxuryPetHotl View Post
As a pet owner and lover it is very painfull to hear a story like this about a pet returning from boarding. As the owner of a luxury no-cage pet boarding facility in this area I am extremely disturbed. It was because of stories such as these that I decided to convert my pet sitting business of 16 years into a luxury facility that I have built on my property in Summerfield. Unfortunately the story is not a new one and only making the owners aware of the situation and letting other pet owners know of your experience will help to bring these issues to light. Often the pets owner does not make the facilty aware of any issues so in this case I was very pleased to see that tomkat reported his issues. I hope they do the right thing by him. K-9 gave great advice and I would also like to add that ideally we would never have to leave our pets anywhere but with ourselves, but finding the best alternative for the owners peace of mind and the pets safety and well being is key to enjoying your time away.
I have tried to build a facility that is a comfortable and safe alternative to being home with mom and dad. Our primary concern is pet safety and health with an emphasis on filling the needs of the concerned and caring parents leaving their pet in our care. Taking the responsibility for a pet in the owners absence is no different that leaving a child in the care of another. I would urge pet owners to take this into consideration when choosing a place to leave their pet whether it is with the neighbor, local vet, boarding kennel or pet hotel.
Cathy Coppini
Owner
Bedtime Tails Luxury Pet Hotel
352 347-7183
www.bedtimetailsluxurypethotel.com
Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
I just saw the for sale notice on the www. Perhaps the Village Paw Spa should notify their customers that the facility is for sale. I didn't see any notice of sale when I dropped the dogs off.

My sincerest thanks to our Vet Dr. Amy Barnett, and her staff, for their professionalism and care while attending to our dogs needs. The boys are on the mend and improving with each passing day.

And thanks to everyone on Talk of The Villages for their support and suggestions.
Thanks for the update. I'm relieved to know they are getting well.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Default village pet spa

We have kenneled our three "babies" many, many times at the Village Pet Spa and we have NEVER had anything but praise for the owners/helpers.
Our pets are well taken care of; groomed and loved by all of the staff.
Sorry you had a bad experience with them but sometimes pets work themselves into illness because they miss their owners so much. Our dog Biskit is a nervous dog but she loves going back there. As do Sophie and Molly. We just wanted to write and tell others their dogs are safe going there. And yes to comments about their place being for sale-Nancy has been doing this for over 40 yrs-maybe she'd like to retire like the rest of us.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM

Our dogs are treated with the utmost care at The Village Pet Spa. And they always come back, healthy and happy. Some pets are like children-if the parents are away they work themselves into being sick, even scratching themselves sore, losing hair, etc. Village Pet Spa should not be given such a bad rap. We love that place-Biskit, Sophie and Molly
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Default Good Places for Pet Boarding

I am horrified about the poor care of your dog at Village Paw.

We just made it to TV this week and are settling in.

Where is a good place to take a dog for boarding and/or doggie daycare.

Also, who has a good service to visit the home when you need to leave your dog during a long day.

We have a bulldog and he needs to be protected from the heat so we want to find the best place for him when he can not go with us.

Thanks,
SUSAN
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

I never said anything about this boarding place, but now I will. After leaving my little dog there for two weeks, he came home and had diarhea and vomiting. I took him to the vet and he had many ticks and a condition that needed medication. The bill was $400+ at the vet. I never said anything to the owners because I knew I would never use their facility again. It's too late now. I've had to repeatedly go back to the vet to remove more ticks. At one time, they found 30. I will never leave my dog in a facility again.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
I never said anything about this boarding place, but now I will. After leaving my little dog there for two weeks, he came home and had diarhea and vomiting. I took him to the vet and he had many ticks and a condition that needed medication. The bill was $400+ at the vet. I never said anything to the owners because I knew I would never use their facility again. It's too late now. I've had to repeatedly go back to the vet to remove more ticks. At one time, they found 30. I will never leave my dog in a facility again.
you should look into a product like revolution or frontline.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn View Post
We have kenneled our three "babies" many, many times at the Village Pet Spa and we have NEVER had anything but praise for the owners/helpers.
Our pets are well taken care of; groomed and loved by all of the staff.
Sorry you had a bad experience with them but sometimes pets work themselves into illness because they miss their owners so much. Our dog Biskit is a nervous dog but she loves going back there. As do Sophie and Molly. We just wanted to write and tell others their dogs are safe going there. And yes to comments about their place being for sale-Nancy has been doing this for over 40 yrs-maybe she'd like to retire like the rest of us.
I understand that there are many things that can affect the health of our pets but none are as devastating as the gross negelct that, in my opinion, my dog experienced at this facility. Please look at the attached pictures...the extent of the infection is so evident that even the most inexperienced person would know that something was seriously wrong. I cannot understand why an experienced and responsible facility wouldn't take immediate action to address something of this nature...especially when I had provided them with written authorization to provide medical attention up to, and including, contacting my vet (who was aware that the dogs were being boarded and was willing to treat them anywhere). I disagree with your statement that "dogs are safe going there"...I think one look at the attached pictures are self explanatory - a responsible facility does not allow a dogs health to deteriorate without taking some type of corrective action. Please keep in mind that not only was no medical attention provided but I was never notified that there was any problem.

Our vet is still treating my dog and he is steadily improving...but not yet completely recovered. And the expense is just off the charts!

Last edited by tomkat; 08-16-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.