Poor Pet Care at the Village Paw Spa

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Thumbs down Poor Pet Care at the Village Paw Spa

I recently picked up my dogs from a two week stay at the Village Paw Spa on Rolling Acres Road and was horrified to find one of the dogs in terrible shape. I immediately rushed the dog to our Veterinarian who diagnosed him with a 103.5 degree fever, severely swollen and infected paws, and an extensive and painful skin infection - all of which the dog didn't have before being dropped off at the Village Paw Spa facility. It's my Vet's opinion, based on the dogs condition, that the dog was neglected. Additionally, I had given the Village Paw Spa very specific written instructions regarding the dogs care and authorization to coordinate with my Veterinarian if that need should arise. At no time during the two week stay - even when the dogs condition worsened to a point where it was obvious that there was something seriously wrong - did anyone from the Village Paw Spa contact the dogs Veterinarian for advice or treatment...nor did anyone call me to advise me that he was ill. I'm horrified by the care - or more specifically, the lack of care - that these dogs experienced while at the Village Paw Spa. I would not recommend this facility.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Hope your dog feels better real soon, and glad you alerted us on this place as not satisfactory. I know how upset I'd feel if I came to pick up Romeo and found him like that...
Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
I recently picked up my dogs from a two week stay at the Village Paw Spa on Rolling Acres Road and was horrified to find one of the dogs in terrible shape. I immediately rushed the dog to our Veterinarian who diagnosed him with a 103.5 degree fever, severely swollen and infected paws, and an extensive and painful skin infection - all of which the dog didn't have before being dropped off at the Village Paw Spa facility. It's my Vet's opinion, based on the dogs condition, that the dog was neglected. Additionally, I had given the Village Paw Spa very specific written instructions regarding the dogs care and authorization to coordinate with my Veterinarian if that need should arise. At no time during the two week stay - even when the dogs condition worsened to a point where it was obvious that there was something seriously wrong - did anyone from the Village Paw Spa contact the dogs Veterinarian for advice or treatment...nor did anyone call me to advise me that he was ill. I'm horrified by the care - or more specifically, the lack of care - that these dogs experienced while at the Village Paw Spa. I would not recommend this facility.
How did the Village Paw Spa respond when you shared your concerns??
Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post

I don't have dogs. But I do have cats and I understand your horror at finding your pup was so ill.

I thought that pets could get communicable diseases from another animal or fleas at a place that keeps animals while their owners are away. I don't know how a dog could get sore paws and have them infected unless he was fruitlessing digging at the wire cage with his forepaws because he wanted you.

Do you think that is what happened?

What did they say about this?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Village Paw Spa

First off I'm so sorry that your dog had to experience this neglect and I appreciate the head's up. Hopefully, the word will spread and people's pets won't have to suffer this abuse. Yes, it's abuse to neglect a sick and suffering animal when a simple phone call would have helped to relieve his suffering; there is no excuse for this to happen. Hopefully you can get them to pay the Vet's bill.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 PM

This is quite a disturbing story. Thanks for letting us know. Keep us posted on your dog's health. What did the owner say?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 PM

I spoke with the owner the day after I picked up the dogs and she said she was sorry to hear that my dog was sick and asked that I keep her informed regarding his condition. She also said she would speak to her staff regarding the care the dogs received. I'll call her again after I receive the results of the blood work and skin culture from the Vet...the skin culture will take about seven days. The boarding fee for the two dogs for two weeks was $561 and the Vet's bill (so far) was $526.37.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What is the diagnosis? What disease are they culturing for?

Does stress lower an animals resistance to disease the way it does in humans?

I hate that we can't tell them so they understand that we will be back.

They could think we are gone forever.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Sage

Tomkat,
Sorry to hear that your dog was poorly treated. Thanks for the heads up. Please keep us posted on how your dog is doing.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM

When we first moved to the area we arranged tours/inspections of several boarding facilities, so when the time came for us to be out of town we'd have a good place to leave our dog.

Village Paw Spa creeped me out. As we walked through, the dogs looked at us from their individual pens but did not bark or get excited. It was totally quiet. That's just not normal in a kennel environment when people walk through. Hopefully I am wrong, but it almost seemed as if the dogs were slightly sedated. They just stood there and looked at us.

Needless to say, did not ever consider leaving our dog there.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Default Exchanging pet care?

Our 12-pound poodle mixes have never been boarded, because up north we always had our kids to keep them. But now that we're in TV full time, after hearing horror stories like this, I don't ever want to board them. Has anyone else in TV made friends with someone else with dogs and then exchanged care for vacations? Now that we have the dog park on Bonita, that might be a possibility. But then, if we kept two dogs for someone else, would that get us in trouble with code enforcement for having four dogs in our house?

Tomkat, I'm so sorry that your dog had to go through this and hope he gets well soon.

walkr
Old 03-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

tomcat, sorry to hear about your pup's problems.

Several things come to my mind from reading your post. The most probable cause of your dog's swollen/infected feet is standing in urine, which will burn the pads of a dog's feet. Walking in feces can cause infection. Another possibility is standing in the cleaning solution used to sanitize the kennel. Some kennels use a combination of water and bleach to sanitize, which is fine if the dog is removed from the kennel and it is allowed to dry before the dog is put back inside.

In any case, if your dogs were being cared for properly, the staff should have noticed a problem with your dog's feet and promptly contacted your vet.

Another poster said they took a tour of the place and none of the dogs in the runs were barking. That is most unusual, and yes that would creep me out, too. The dogs should have been barking loudly and excitedly if someone came through because they want to get out and are trying to communicate that (get me out).

Mr. K9 and I used to own and operate a dog boarding and cageless daycare facility before retiring and I speak from experience.

This was an old post of mine concerning boarding dogs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you board your dog in a kennel, listen to see if they ask you for proof of vaccinations and other precautions (like worm tests) are required. Then, ask them how that is enforced and how they keep up-to-date records with their doggie clients.

Find out how many times a day the dog is taken out of the kennel/run and actually taken for a walk outside.

Will the establishment give your dog food that you provide in lieu of feeding their own brand? A change of food can upset a dog's stomach.

If you board your dog at a veterinarian, be sure that the boarding dogs are kept in separate rooms from the other dogs. You don't want your dog in the same room with dogs that are at the vet because they are sick.

Dogs get very bored, frustrated and nervous when they are in a kennel, especially for a long period. They don't understand that you will be returning for them. They are surrounded by other unhappy dogs that bark constantly trying to tell someone to let them out of "jail". Dogs that spend a long time in a kennel will often forget their housebreaking manners, and suffer emotional trauma for a long time after coming home. The emotional trauma could cause vomiting and diarrhea for several days.

It is not good for a dog to be in a kennel for extended periods. That is why rescue groups find foster homes for dogs until a permanent home is found.

If you can find a "cageless" facility with a large play area that would be best. However, when the dogs are loose in a playgroup they must be monitored 100% of the time. Ask the ratio of "monitors" to dogs, it shouldn't be less than one person for 15 dogs. Dogs should be separated into playgroups according to size and temperment. (Old dogs and young puppies, even though the same size, are not good companions, and timid dogs with rambunctious dogs is not ideal, either. And, you never want your little dog in with big dogs -- accidents happen). The dogs should be put in separate kennels for sleeping and eating.

If you choose to keep your dog at home and use a pet sitter, the dog will be very lonely.

Instead, find someone who stays at home (doesn't work full time) and will take your dog into their own home. Before you take him to his new home-away-from-home, let him stay with that new person in their home a couple of times for 4 hour periods each (yes, you will be paying for that). This way, the dog learns that you will be coming back to pick them up, and they also get to know the person that will be caring for them. This way, you can be sure that your dog gets along with the caretaker and any other animals in that household. If your dog is not eager to return to the caretaker after a couple of 4-hour test visits, then find another caretaker.

When you finally leave your dog, take along their own bed and something that is familiar like a favorite toy, or their regular dog dish. Also take something that smells like you, like a t-shirt that hasn't been washed or a sock that needs laundering. Give the caretaker your dog's regular food, but don't just hand over a big bag of food. Separate each meal into small baggies. That way, the caretaker will know how much to feed your dog at mealtime.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Doggie Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
tomcat, sorry to hear about your pup's problems.

Several things come to my mind from reading your post. The most probable cause of your dog's swollen/infected feet is standing in urine, which will burn the pads of a dog's feet. Walking in feces can cause infection. Another possibility is standing in the cleaning solution used to sanitize the kennel. Some kennels use a combination of water and bleach to sanitize, which is fine if the dog is removed from the kennel and it is allowed to dry before the dog is put back inside.

In any case, if your dogs were being cared for properly, the staff should have noticed a problem with your dog's feet and promptly contacted your vet.

Another poster said they took a tour of the place and none of the dogs in the runs were barking. That is most unusual, and yes that would creep me out, too. The dogs should have been barking loudly and excitedly if someone came through because they want to get out and are trying to communicate that (get me out).

Mr. K9 and I used to own and operate a dog boarding and cageless daycare facility before retiring and I speak from experience.

This was an old post of mine concerning boarding dogs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you board your dog in a kennel, listen to see if they ask you for proof of vaccinations and other precautions (like worm tests) are required. Then, ask them how that is enforced and how they keep up-to-date records with their doggie clients.

Find out how many times a day the dog is taken out of the kennel/run and actually taken for a walk outside.

Will the establishment give your dog food that you provide in lieu of feeding their own brand? A change of food can upset a dog's stomach.

If you board your dog at a veterinarian, be sure that the boarding dogs are kept in separate rooms from the other dogs. You don't want your dog in the same room with dogs that are at the vet because they are sick.

Dogs get very bored, frustrated and nervous when they are in a kennel, especially for a long period. They don't understand that you will be returning for them. They are surrounded by other unhappy dogs that bark constantly trying to tell someone to let them out of "jail". Dogs that spend a long time in a kennel will often forget their housebreaking manners, and suffer emotional trauma for a long time after coming home. The emotional trauma could cause vomiting and diarrhea for several days.

It is not good for a dog to be in a kennel for extended periods. That is why rescue groups find foster homes for dogs until a permanent home is found.

If you can find a "cageless" facility with a large play area that would be best. However, when the dogs are loose in a playgroup they must be monitored 100% of the time. Ask the ratio of "monitors" to dogs, it shouldn't be less than one person for 15 dogs. Dogs should be separated into playgroups according to size and temperment. (Old dogs and young puppies, even though the same size, are not good companions, and timid dogs with rambunctious dogs is not ideal, either. And, you never want your little dog in with big dogs -- accidents happen). The dogs should be put in separate kennels for sleeping and eating.

If you choose to keep your dog at home and use a pet sitter, the dog will be very lonely.

Instead, find someone who stays at home (doesn't work full time) and will take your dog into their own home. Before you take him to his new home-away-from-home, let him stay with that new person in their home a couple of times for 4 hour periods each (yes, you will be paying for that). This way, the dog learns that you will be coming back to pick them up, and they also get to know the person that will be caring for them. This way, you can be sure that your dog gets along with the caretaker and any other animals in that household. If your dog is not eager to return to the caretaker after a couple of 4-hour test visits, then find another caretaker.

When you finally leave your dog, take along their own bed and something that is familiar like a favorite toy, or their regular dog dish. Also take something that smells like you, like a t-shirt that hasn't been washed or a sock that needs laundering. Give the caretaker your dog's regular food, but don't just hand over a big bag of food. Separate each meal into small baggies. That way, the caretaker will know how much to feed your dog at mealtime.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're giving great advice, K-9. Would you have any recommendations for a kenel/spa in or near TV for "The Little Princess" to stay and/or be groomed when we move to TV? I have a wonderful place in WNY. Lexi loves to go to this kennel and almost hates to leave (because it's back to real world!). I would love a place similar in/near TV. When I picked her up last time, I said I was going to send her to Florida and I was going to stay at the kennel........it is so clean and all the dogs get wonderful care. Recommendations, please, of comparable places in TV. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're giving great advice, K-9. Would you have any recommendations for a kenel/spa in or near TV for "The Little Princess" to stay and/or be groomed when we move to TV? I have a wonderful place in WNY. Lexi loves to go to this kennel and almost hates to leave (because it's back to real world!). I would love a place similar in/near TV. When I picked her up last time, I said I was going to send her to Florida and I was going to stay at the kennel........it is so clean and all the dogs get wonderful care. Recommendations, please, of comparable places in TV. Thank you.
I'm not K-9, but we have left our 2 dogs at Bed Time Tails and Pet Hotel several times. They have an ad listed under the Pet section. We're very satisfied with the care our girls get there and unless something better comes along, will continue to use them. Cathy, the owner, is an ex-vet-tech. Check them out.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 AM

So sorry to hear about what happened to your dogs. We live in TV and have a wonderful in home puppy sitter that takes fabulous care of ours when we are away. He also lives in TV. If you would like his info, email me at wefly737@embarqmail.com.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.